Thread: Reveal The Shield stickers

Default Reveal The Shield stickers

I was looking through my CHUG collection box recently and noticed that the Reveal the Shield stickers (eg Jazz, Perceptor, Wreck-Gar) were no longer working.

Rubbing it did no change, I put one briefly in front of a bar heater also no change - just a black ambiguous symbol.

Was wondering if this was a thing that affected other's RtS collections?

(I didn't check my first year Classics toys or my G1 toys either - just happened to be all RtS toys.)

Funny you should mention that...I was mucking with Deep Dive just last night and noticed the symbol didnt work when I touched it. I didn't think much of it at the time suspecting it was to do with the cold of the night...I will check again and some others tonight if I remember

Galvatran Guest

A bit of background for those like myself who are interested in the science behind the rubsign.

From tfwiki:
    The working part of a rubsign is a layer of Mylar plastic which contains thermochromic liquid crystals. At different temperatures, the liquid crystals' molecular structure changes reflecting different wavelengths of light and making a visible faction symbol appear.
    ... and no, these thermochromic liquid crystals weren't from the Ruby crystal mines of Burma.

--------------

I wonder if the thermochromic liquid crystals have leached out over time or have seen better days.
    Last edited by Galvatran; 13th September 2018 at 04:16 PM.

I just tried the 3 RTS figures I have on display. Grappel, Lugnut and Wreck-gar all still working.

FatalityPitt Guest

I just happened to have RtS Legends Megatron on my desk when I read this post. It's a different shaped/sized rub symbol, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. It doesn't seem to work. It just changes into a dark shade of blue and that's it.

So I finally remembered to check on the weekend sorry about that...

Deep Dive is actually working, and I checked a few other randoms, Jetfire, Jazz, Optimus etc. and they all seem to work too.

Maybe a batch issue of the stickers or if the stickers/toys have had extended exposure to a hot or cold temperature, enough to possibly damage the crystals Galvatran mention they compose of?

A few of mine have gone dead too.

Given it's a chemical reaction, maybe prolonged exposure to heat or cold ruins them and either makes them permanently black or permanently exposed.

A couple of my classics ones now permanently show the symbol.