Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Vintage game consoles

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    ^ I have fond memories as a kid going to arcade parlours such as TimeZone & playing TMNT with my mates.

Heck, we even brought those whipper snipper things to gain 'free' credits. Not proud of it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Now that's a Fathers Day gift! I never got to play much at arcades but when friends had Timezone parties you couldn't get me off NBA JAM. The modern (PS3) release was fun, but you're right, nothing beats four player co-op. Hope you got some Metal Slug on the machine as well, for when you need to really punish your palms and wrists!
    Timezone Super Session parties were the best! After two hours of unlimited games I would come out with a headache lol.

Final Fight was at my local skate rink, it was so hard to clear the first level. My brother-in-law and I finished it the first day I got the machine going but it probaby took 20-25 credits to clear. That would have been a lot of money for a kid in the 80s/90s!

Yes some nights lately my son and I have actually been playing the PS3 NBA Jam. Always use the Roy/Aldrige/Oden Trail Blazers, oh what could have been....

I've never played Metal Slug but it's on my list of games to play. It actually has all of them up to 6 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Timezone Super Session parties were the best! After two hours of unlimited games I would come out with a headache lol.

Final Fight was at my local skate rink, it was so hard to clear the first level. My brother-in-law and I finished it the first day I got the machine going but it probaby took 20-25 credits to clear. That would have been a lot of money for a kid in the 80s/90s!

Yes some nights lately my son and I have actually been playing the PS3 NBA Jam. Always use the Roy/Aldrige/Oden Trail Blazers, oh what could have been....

I've never played Metal Slug but it's on my list of games to play. It actually has all of them up to 6 I think.
    Only once in the arcades I saw two guys finish Final Fight and gee they pumped a huge amount of money into it.

When the T2 shooting game came out I was in an arcade playing it with a friend and after pumping some money into it we got to the last level. We were running out of money so other people watching us started to pump their own money into it for us just so we could finish the game.
    That I think is my favourite memory of arcading.

Whipper Snipper things? I've never heard of this way?
    We used to remove the sparkers/ignitors from gas hot water systems and use those on the machine to gain free credits.

I'm not proud of it either or just saying to the attendant at the local bowling alley that I put 20c in the machine but it didn't give me the credit.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caffinetron View Post
    Whipper Snipper things? I've never heard of this way?
    You bend one end of a foot long whipper snipper line to shape like a coin. Shove it into coin slot and keep pushing in & out. The arcade machine thinks coins are being dropped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffinetron View Post
    We used to remove the sparkers/ignitors from gas hot water systems and use those on the machine to gain free credits.
    Oh yes, the old spark plug trick. Also great to electric shock others at school too.

(not proud of it upon reflection but it was great fun back in the day)

I found out the other day about the ticking time bomb in almost every original Xbox. Turns out Microsoft used a capacitor to run the system clock that has a tendency around the 10-year mark to leak acid all over your Xbox's PCB.

I opened mine up and yes I had acid around the capacitor. I still need to do a proper cleanup job on it but I've broken off the capacitor and gotten most of the acid off. There were about 4 or 5 surface mount devices (SFDs) that got covered by acid and had come off the PCB, but my Xbox still works so must have been associated with the clock capacitor or something else unimportant.

Moral of the story; open up your OG Xbox (v1 to V1.5) and remove the clock capacitor before it bricks your system.