Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Comics Reviews: Lost Light

Can't really discuss the ending without dropping what has got to be one of the biggest spoilers in Transformers canonical history... but PHWOAR!

Totally did not see that coming.

Ya gots to say this about it - you get whiplash from the amount of twists they chuck in!

And to think, at one point I was finding TF comics a bit dull because it was always just 'Bot vs Con'.

Can't wait for issue 23!

I really wish that Lost Light could have stood alone from this absolute mess that is occurring to the IDW-verse to wipe clean all the stupid, useless and down right wasteful crossovers with the failure that was the Hasbro forced shared universe.

Lost Light just had possibly 20+ issues of content, ideas and revelations crammed into a single issue. It is a dense read and yet still enjoyable, but why could we have not had this given to us over a longer period of time and to let us savour the revelations as they are revealed.

Art is fantastic, the "Primus" shots are gorgeous and the way that Rung is drawn throughout is just glorious. The story just races from info dump to info dump due to the requirements of ending all running Transformers series. Yet somehow, it is all still digestable and makes sense with what we have been drip fed for the last couple of years.

On the flip side, and to not waste my time reviving a long dead Optimus Prime review thread, the Optimus Prime and Unicron issues that released at the same time as Lost Light were boring, confusing messes that looked very ordinary. I find myself just not caring at all, it feels like a massive waste after the build up we got in Prime that was starting to redeem the otherwise very boring series, but now, ever since Unicron, it has been nigh unreadable and lacking any flow in both story and art.

In short: Lost Light will be missed. Prime and Unicron should never have begun.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The writing/editorial quality is all over the shop with the latest issues. Unicron #4 was devoid of any glaring errors, which was (pleasantly) surprising coming from something written by John Barber. So this gave me hope. Then Lost Light had a few errors which was a surprise (although not unheard of). And then Optimus Prime... my god... every 2nd or 3rd page had errors. It's as if Mariotte and Barber decided to brutally murder the English language and then dress inappropriately at its funeral. They also butchered French, just for fun I suppose. *sigh*

And yeah, this whole insistence on a shared Hasbro universe has got to be one of the most intrusive things I've seen. Is this mandate coming from IDW or Hasbro? Admittedly I don't pay attention to other toy lines, but I haven't noticed any new GI Joe, Micronauts, MASK, Visionaries (etc.) toys on shelves. Is Hasbro planning on reviving these toylines? Otherwise what's the damn (or as IDW would say, "damm") point of all this?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And yeah, this whole insistence on a shared Hasbro universe has got to be one of the most intrusive things I've seen. Is this mandate coming from IDW or Hasbro? Admittedly I don't pay attention to other toy lines, but I haven't noticed any new GI Joe, Micronauts, MASK, Visionaries (etc.) toys on shelves. Is Hasbro planning on reviving these toylines? Otherwise what's the damn (or as IDW would say, "damm") point of all this?!?
    Only Hasbro to blame there. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the Visionaries, Rom, GIJoe hadve come back in their own series in the shared universe but each series was introduced alongside the transformers, each time dragging the otherwise solid transformers series down to the other licenses level of boring and unimportance. Each time it was Cybertron or a character suffering to introduce these crossover series that never amounted to anything than footnotes in the main series issues that were easily ignored. Killing Kup, taking Ironhide and Skywarp were just wastes of those characters for no return.

If anything I feel as though all the crossovers just mangled and made for confusing scenarios with characters and other underlying problems and sped up the demise of this ten year old universe.

Thankfully Lost Light has only been affected by the quicker than anticipated demise that has seen reveals and information from many issues condensed into six or so. While irritating I am sure, at least Roberts has been able to rewrite his main story and character arcs to fit in the condensed timeline and still hit the main beats.

Personally I am looking forward to the last few issues and seeing how he wraps most of the plot points up, while at the same time pretending that the whole thing isn’t ending once Lost Light concludes. Let’s face it, Prime has been unreadable the last six or so issues, it’s all over the shop and Unicron is just a hard, boring slog to read that makes Dark Cybertron seem well foreshadowed, complex and enjoyable...

What we can take from the transformers series since they announced Unicron is “Shockwave did it” and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Only Hasbro to blame there.
    But... but... wwwhhhhhyyy?!?

At least with G1 Transformers x GI Joe Crossovers it was because they were co-promoting existing toys. The GI Joe toys that we saw in both the G1 and G2 crossovers were on shelves at the same time as the Transformers who appeared in those issues. e.g. GI Joe Ninja Force Snake-Eyes was the current Snake-Eyes figure when Generation 2 was out.

And as weird as the Star Wars and Marvel Crossover toys were, these toys were released at or close to the same time that Star Wars media and Marvel comics were out. These Crossover TFs shared shelf space with regular Star Wars and Marvel toys. And even when IDW and Marvel teamed up for the Avengers/Transformers crossover, it happened while Transformers and Marvel toys were currently in production.

But seriously, unless Hasbro's planning on reviving all of these long-dead 80s toy series, then what's the damn point of crossing them over with Transformers? And even if they are, still what's the point? It makes it feel like Hasbro doesn't have faith in these other toy lines that they have to ride on the coattails of Transformers' success in order to get their own momentum running. And the problem with doing that is that it ends up bogging down Transformers. The GI Joe Crossovers with Transformers during G1 were limited. Even Cobra Commander's cameo in the G1 cartoon was just for one episode, and Marissa Fairborne's relationship with Flint and Lady Jaye was only ever implied (and later confirmed many years later). But it was something very subtle and never really played on during Season 3. Fans have always known it due to the shared surname as Flint and also because we did hear Flint's voice (Bill Ratner) when Marissa is confronted with the illusion of her father aboard the Quintesson ship. Note that Ratner did not play any of the Transformers - he was brought about that episode for the express purpose of voicing Marissa's father.

But I digress... I just don't see the purpose of shoehorning all of these other properties into the Transformers universe unless there's product to market (speaking from Hasbro's POV as a toy company - obviously from a story POV it makes even less sense).

Issue #24.... oh the feels...

I am going to miss this series from next month, not sure IDW can get another series this good for a while after the reboot, MtMtE / Lost Light would not have worked without all the previous IDW work, making Cybertron not be the be all and end all of Transformers fiction.

Only one confirmed death but I wonder if anyone else didn't make it. I also wonder if they may use something they made inert here to help out in the Unicron event?

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Issue #24.... oh the feels...

I am going to miss this series from next month, not sure IDW can get another series this good for a while after the reboot, MtMtE / Lost Light would not have worked without all the previous IDW work, making Cybertron not be the be all and end all of Transformers fiction.

Only one confirmed death but I wonder if anyone else didn't make it. I also wonder if they may use something they made inert here to help out in the Unicron event?
    I'm with you on this one. Feels are all over the place. The pacing on #24 was really good and at times really tense. There was still humorous moments and one particularly pointed moment with Megatron I won't spoil here (it was actually pointed out from a user on Seibertron and i was like "ohhhhh lord they're spot on with that comment").

Its been a long, slightly bumpy but otherwise enjoyable journey but the end destination is in sight

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well...

.... Let me know when we can start talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But... but... wwwhhhhhyyy?!?
    To me it came across as an exercise of Hasbro trying to grow their other brands using the globally recognised TF property, IMHO if IDW hadn't made the First Strike crossover event and Visionaries Vs Transformers, instead restricting the two story arcs to the Revolutionaries series it may have been more palatable.

The relaunch next year is no guarantee that it won't become a shared universe again, just a better planned one because IDW will anticipate a mandate from Hasbro.