Page 131 of 154 FirstFirst ... 111121126127128129130131132133134135136141151 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Black Panther: wasn’t a bad movie, but nothing special to be honest, don’t understand all the over hyping, stand outs were Michael Jordan (the actor not basketball player, I guess that’s why he needs to add the B lol) and Andy Serkis.
    While I really enjoyed Black Panther, there's something that really bugs me about it from an historiographical perspective.

The story is definitely a quality inclusive movie rather than tokenism (of course a stack of that is due to how good a storyteller Stan Lee was, when he created him during the Civil Rights era) and the idea of an African nation being super high tech because of a localised mineral deposit of extra terrestrial origin definitely works as a concept.

Trying to place the thing into a specific time zone is very tricky though.

As this video has noted, while the vibranium meteorite wouldn't have had an explosive impact, there would have been earthquakes due to conservation of momentum, meaning that any developed civilisation would have noted the earthquake.

Considering the spread of the Roman Empire, anything from the tail end of the 3rd Century BC is ruled out as by that point, Carthage exists in Africa, meaning that the impact would have been recorded and due to trading, Rome would have been aware of it.

So then what about placing the impact even earlier? We know that as of the tail end of the 6th Century BC,the Phonecian Empire was a large, seafaring, trading empire and so it is reasonable to presume that the Phonecian Empire existed at least a few centuries prior. In fact the reason I cite the late 6th century is because we know at that time, a treaty was signed between Carthage and Rome with the express purpose of combating piracy - which the cynical mind would consider to be one of the two great exports of Ancient Greece; the other being xenophobia.

Given that we know that around 1200 BC, the great kingdoms of the age all died out, that Etruscan mythology points to a post-apocalyptic origin for it and the Latins and that Hellenistic (Greek) colonisation doesn't take place until roughly the mid 8th Century BC, a possible argument for the meteorite hitting Wakanda between 1200BC and 750BC could be made - although probably closer to 900BC rather than 750BC for the more recent date.

This then presents its own issues in terms of technological development.

We know that Wakanda hid itself from the outside world knowing that its resources could be corrupted and exploited. To do this effectively, it would mean that the introduction of Vibranuim would require cloaking shield technology to have been created by roughly 2,800-2,900 years ago.

While it's not outside the realms of possibility, that is one hell of a rapid period of scientific and technological growth.

However this presents another problem. The level of technology we see in Black Panther is certainly decades more advances than the rest of the world, but I wouldn't say that it's almost 3,000 years more advanced than the rest of the world- not even close to it. So then the question is, how do you explain such a rapid pace of technological advancement, followed by what is essentially an almost 3 millennia-long period of technological plateauing?

While I'm open to an explanation, I'm also incredibly grateful that I'm not the one writing a history of Wakanda and having to reconcile this massive continuity-based can of worms.

Rented The Predator for a lazy, brain-dead evening of doing other things in the background. Lots of big, dumb fun. Doesn’t take itself, or the franchise, at all seriously. Thank goodness.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Watched the Bumblebee movie. Finally a TF movie I can recommend to people! I found it a little slow but probably because I was waiting foe the next fight scene as they were amazing. Bee is such a smart fighter and this reinforces it.

Fantastic script and work by Travis Knight and the actors. I will use review scores to convince people who are burnt out by M.Bay to go see it.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

My spoiler-free thoughts of Bumblebee...

Absolutely FANTASTIC movie for many reasons already stated. I would rate it 4½/5 stars.

I have watched 2 video reviews by 3 film critics who hated the Michael Bay films but have LOVED Bumblebee. And this is what I've been saying for years about Bayformers -- the best way to silence your critics is to produce a good film. Hearing these haters of live action Transformers films lavish love and praise for Bumblebee is just amazing. People who walked into this movie with a wary or skeptical outlook walking away smiling and feeling so chuffed speaks volumes about the quality of this movie. I think one of the greatest things that this movie will achieve is shutting up the haters. In fact, I heard 2 critics say that they wish that all the TF films were like this, and that Bumblebee may be even more enjoyable for Bay-haters and possibly less enjoyable for Bay-lovers. Because if you loved the gratuitous explosions and mindless action, if you loved the objectification of women (and girls), if you loved the in-your-face sexual innuendo, if you loved all the toilet humour... if you loved all the "Bayisms" from the previous TF films and that's the sort of thing you look for in a TF film, then yeah, you might be in for a disappointment. But if you prefer movies that actually tell a good story and is driven by character development, then prepare for a pleasant surprise.

In Bayformers everything was secondary to the action. The action drove the stories and characters, and as such, there really wasn't much drive at all. With Bumblebee it's the other way around - the story and characters drives the action. This is the way it should be. The action and visual effects are things that serve to tell the story, the story doesn't serve to showcase the action and effects. And I think that this is something that Knight may be more aware of as a director who's come from relatively humble beginnings as a stop-motion animator.

Saw Bumblebee and Spiderman into the Spiderverse recently, both good films, highly enjoyable. I think Spiderman would overall be the more original and impressive cinematic achievement of the two, but Bumblebee is a huge achievement in the Transformers cinematic universe.

Watched The Christmas Chronicles yesterday. Actually one of the best new Christmas movies I have seen in a long time. Kurt Russell as Santa is quite enjoyable.

The predator, good popcorn flick. Nothing too ground breaking. 5/10

Mortal engines. Better than i expected. Interesting lore. 6/10. Id recommend to see it.

Spiderman- Into the Spiderverse. Best blend of CG and comic book animation I've ever seen just don't recommend it to anyone who suffers from epilepsy, it's very colorful and psychedelic at times with breakneck speed.

P.S. The twist in the lab scene is a brilliant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Spiderman- Into the Spiderverse. Best blend of CG and comic book animation I've ever seen just don't recommend it to anyone who suffers from epilepsy, it's very colorful and psychedelic at times with breakneck speed.

P.S. The twist in the lab scene is a brilliant surprise.
    I was concerned about the incredibles 2 and never saw warnings about epilepsy.

Incredibles 2 had a particular strobing scene that prompted the addition of a warning message.

Spiderverse (which is fantastic) has lots of colours and movement but I don't recall there being anything of the particular strobe like effect that was be an issue.