Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Cyberverse - are the toys getting too simple or are people getting dumber?

Okay, let's get a more objective measure on how these toys are faring. The sales. Report in, guys.

At my local Target and Kmart the boxed Ultras and Ultimates are selling strongly but the carded Scouts and Warriors are pegwarming. I've only seen adults - presumably parents - pick these toys up. I've yet to see a kid look at these toys, let alone ask their parent(s) to buy one for them. So I suspect that the boxed toys are selling better because they're more appealing to parents who want to give their kids bigger and more impressively packaged figures.

So in my area Cyberverse are pegwarming but not shelfwarming. How about the rest of you?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Okay, let's get a more objective measure on how these toys are faring. The sales. Report in, guys.

So in my area Cyberverse are pegwarming but not shelfwarming. How about the rest of you?
    The Deluxes at K-Mart Sylvania look to be sitting. Legions... slowly moving. I haven't really noticed the bigger size classes.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Maybe we should wait until the show is actaully out before we determine they shelfwarm or not, I've heard stories of the same thing happening to G1 until the cartoon came out...

You mean like how G1 grossed about US$4,000,000* in toy sales before the cartoon came out?

Even if the show is fantastic it still doesn't change the quality of the toys. I quite like the G1 Battlechargers as characters but they are dreadful toys.

------------------------
    *about AU$17,000,000 in today's money
    Schodt, F.L., 1986

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I quite like the G1 Battlechargers as characters but they are dreadful toys.
    What, their incredibly brief appearances in S3 of the G1 cartoon, or their Marvel comics appearance where they flew around doing graffiti?

I'm only playing - I like them too

Needs us some proper CHUG releases of these two. I've always wondered if, considering where you have to put the guns on the G1 toys, if they should have been depicted with shoulder-mounted guns rather than handheld rifles.

G1 comics. Yeah, they're total goofballs but they're lovable goofballs. And it was also a great showcase of interplanetary faux-pas that helped to remind us that these are alien robots. All too often Transformer writers (including IDW*) tend to portray the Transformers as being far too human, sometimes unbelievably so. One of Budiansky's strengths was how he liked to remind us that these are unearthly creatures.

-----------------
    *IDWformers are sometimes not just too Earthly but often too Anglocentric! Although there was a recent moment when we heard someone describe how indecipherable spoken Cybertronian sounds like to humans, and another character explaining that many Cybertronian phonemes actually occur at ultrasonic frequencies. That's pretty damn cool (or as John Barber would say, "damm cool" )