Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monkey Magic (Non-TF)

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Oh and DAMN YOU GOKI FOR THAT LINK! Never realised she was that hot under that robe, as if I didn't feel conflicted enough watching Monkey before... For anyone who reads the link and wants to hear the Oh! Cookie Face song here's the youtube link.
    Yeh, shame she passed away from breast cancer I think.

The guy who played Pigsy seems to be going through a bit of an acting comeback. He was in a movie that was popular when I was there a couple months ago and also popped up on many many banal japanese talk/game/variety/travel/food shows.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I've since learnt that Tripitaka was played Masako Natsume (a woman! )
    thanks for the link. i've always wandered why they got an actress to play that role and not an actor.

so this sure explains a lot:
    "...Apparently, the real Tripitaka who went to India to collect the Buddhist scriptures was said to have been a very good looking monk (don't laugh!) and that his looks were akin to the beauty of a woman (hence female Masako Natsume plays him). After "Monkey" was aired, everyone got the impression that Tripikata has to be played by a (pretty) girl. So Tripitaka is played by one in all the remakes of "Monkey"!..."
    That part where you guys are talking about Son Gokuu confirms my suscpicion when i was young that the dragonball cartoon series was based (rip off?) on monkey magic.

hey jhiaxus, is that drawing coloured using photoshop or actual pantone markers?

Coloured it using photoshop. NEver been a marker fan. Seldom colour anything by hand at all nowadays.

I used to feel mighty confused with Tripitaka as a kid... he was clearly established as a _male_ monk but I thought he was HAWT! Of course, I've since learnt that Tripitaka was played Masako Natsume (a woman! )
    As I understood it the role is traditionally played by a woman.

Actually... the gender confusion stuff doesn't stop with Tripitaka being played by a woman in the show. She was dubbed by a woman... and the show itself is FILLED with crazy gender confusion stuff.

Buddha manifests in his female form -- some other traditionally male or female characters also manifest in their opposite genders. Monkey is constantly crossdressing (Well, cross-transforming since he magics himself into other genders) and there are a tonne of plot lines which have major gender confusion sections.

It's kinda disturbing when you watch it back.

Basically Monkey Magic is about:
    1) insane Budhism.
    2) gender confusion
    3) hitting people with sticks.
    --Jhiaxus.

This thread is giving me an urge to go pick up the DVD boxset...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    Yeh, shame she passed away from breast cancer I think.
    I think it was leukemia. I think this is the reason why the series was never finished. Bad enough that they changed the actor for Pigsy (never liked the 2nd actor).

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    The guy who played Pigsy seems to be going through a bit of an acting comeback. He was in a movie that was popular when I was there a couple months ago and also popped up on many many banal japanese talk/game/variety/travel/food shows.
    Not so much a comeback - Nishida Toshiyuki's always been quite popular in Japan. Ditto Sakai Masaaki who also hosts his own show.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    i've always wandered why they got an actress to play that role and not an actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhiaxus
    As I understood it the role is traditionally played by a woman.
    I don't know about the tradition, but it's not uncommon for women to be casted as young boys. After all Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Was it the Gandara theme over the credits or the opening? I was checking a Jap paper that was quite old a while ago and they had the words to Gandara in there with a little articel about the song and what Gandara was. Maybe the music had a bit of a revival.
    Not sure to be honest, but here it is on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This thread is giving me an urge to go pick up the DVD boxset...
    It's beyond urge for me as I loved this show, Off to JB I guess if they carry it. This Saturday Kyle

kurdt: that's a remix of the opening theme which is called "Monkey Magic", not "Gandhara." Gandhara is the ending theme and I've already posted a link to that in a previous post. Both were sung by Godaigo. I love the Karaoke clip for Gandhara as it shows the members of Godaigo actually travelling through India.

Here is the original opening theme.
    Here is the English dub version. Same song but different opening narrative/edit.

yukitora Guest

I used to feel mighty confused with Tripitaka as a kid... he was clearly established as a _male_ monk but I thought he was HAWT! Of course, I've since learnt that Tripitaka was played Masako Natsume (a woman! )
    And you only learnt this now? i thought everyone knew this?
    The chick had cancer in real life. note the bald head.