Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox One Vs PS4

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    PS4 all the way. I won't get one for at least a year though.

PC gaming is too expensive to keep up with (endless upgrades) and takes up too much space (don't have room for a desktop).

I have no interest in playing multiplayer or anything online. I don't want trophies, I don't want achievements, I just want a console to sit there, shut the F@*# up and let me play games. By myself.

PS4 appears to have better hardware, less DRM always online garbage and better exclusives.

This is pretty much me. I don't want a desktop and the space it takes up.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    This is pretty much me. I don't want a desktop and the space it takes up.
    My lounge room gaming PC is smaller than the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    People who say that PCs need "endless upgrades" are not doing it right

I only upgrade my PC like once every 3-4 years. Occasionally within that time I will upgrade some RAM which is pretty cheap. During it's life span, I am able to play all games at full graphics.

The PC I have now is close to 3 years and only recently did I upgrade the graphics card. That only happened because that card was already over 4 years old.

I'll side with Tywin Lannister on this one..
    Consoles are now heading towards a projected 10 year life cycle...

PC gaming does require upgrading, even if it's only every few years. The costs do add up. And then there's occasional issues with drivers, hardware compatibility, etc. Consoles have set hardware that developers can optimize exclusively for. PC gaming takes too much time, effort, costs, maintenance and space for me, in my current circumstances.

I enjoy my PC including the upgrading as it's all part of the hobby for me. I do agree with Kup as my old PC was 5 years old before I put this one together. If I was going to get a new console I'd lean more towards XBox as it has the games I prefer over PS4 titles.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    My lounge room gaming PC is smaller than the PS3
    Yes but that is only a relatively recent development. I used to be a PC gamer, but I lost interest. Mainly because I don't care what is inside the thing. I don't want to have to worry about whether I need more RAM or whether its time to upgrade the graphics card. I don't want to have driver conflicts and whatnot. I don't want to balance a keyboard and mouse on my Lap either. I want to slouch on my lounge in an incredibly unergonomic position and only have a controller to worry about. (Yes I'm aware that you can get controllers for PC, but that kind of defeats the purpose).

And I thought about getting a PC again and the only reason I could think of was to play FreeSpace 2 again. The single, greatest PC game ever made. But even that couldn't get me back into it.

I understand that people prefer PC gaming and I even know why. But it ain't for me anymore.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I understand that people prefer PC gaming and I even know why. But it ain't for me anymore.
    Totally, same boat here.

I was exclusively a PC gamer from about 1996 - 2008. I used to be vehemently opposed to the concept of playing a shooter without a mouse and keyboard.

Loving my x1. seems a better line up of games coming also. Add me as a friend if anyone interested for some BF4. tag: Bloodgeon333

Yes but that is only a relatively recent development. I used to be a PC gamer, but I lost interest. Mainly because I don't care what is inside the thing. I don't want to have to worry about whether I need more RAM or whether its time to upgrade the graphics card. I don't want to have driver conflicts and whatnot. I don't want to balance a keyboard and mouse on my Lap either. I want to slouch on my lounge in an incredibly unergonomic position and only have a controller to worry about. (Yes I'm aware that you can get controllers for PC, but that kind of defeats the purpose).

And I thought about getting a PC again and the only reason I could think of was to play FreeSpace 2 again. The single, greatest PC game ever made. But even that couldn't get me back into it.

No it's not. What you are talking about is stuff that is only the case if one doesn't bother to explore what the PC has to offer and locks themselves to their own perceptions. The small factor PC cases have been around for several years. Yes, they have reduced in price and size but originally, they were no bigger than a PS3 or Xbox. An upper Medium End gaming PC would also not cost you more than what one of the Next Gen consoles do at launch with only minor upgrades required every 4-6 years. You only need a whole new set up when technology has vastly revolutionized that's only like every 8-10 years when you have to upgrade the MB and CPU. It can actually cost much cheaper if you build it yourself! Of course, if you go for some BS like Alienware, it will cost you more but that's an individual's choice, not representative of real world. It would be like saying 'Cars are too expensive, just look at the cost of that Lamborghini'

Who says you need a keyboard and mouse to play PC games? The PC is so flexible that you can play games with anything including PS3 controllers and even Wiimotes! And that's not counting the thousands of USB controllers already available, wireless or otherwise. Yes, most PC gamers prefer the keyboard and mouse set up but it's not as if that is the only option to play PC games. I personally prefer the KB&mouse set up as it is infinitely more precise than a controller, specially for 'free aim' shooters. That is why I am looking forward to the Steam game controller which appears to be aiming to revolutionise the current and somewhat outdated controller technology to bring the precision of the keyboard and mouse into the lounge room.

If you know what you are doing, in the long run, a PC costs less and requires a lot less stuffing around than a console does. My PC runs awesomely with little maintenance, less so than the PS3. It is also vastly superior technically and at least on par with the Next Gen and I only have medium end hardware in it.

I am not a console hater as I do own a PS3, but I find the PC to be a much more superior and flexible gaming platform than any console. Cheaper in the long run too with less issues. When there are multiplatform games, the PC wins every time when it comes to crisp and smooth graphics so the PS3 is only there for the exclusives. Even so called 'poor ports' like WFC look a lot better on the PC than on the PS3 on a 1080p TV and I own both releases to compare first hand without a bias of 'you only say that because that's what you own'. On a 2560×1600 screen, the PC blows it out of the water and that goes for any multi platform game.

For me, the PC is the gaming system that rules them all. If it wasn't for exclusives, the console would not even be there as my TV PC has a bluray drive.

Pointless argument... the unavoidable truth of gaming is that exclusive, good games are on multiple machines and if you want to play them all, you need the machine it runs on. Until the PC emulates it 10 years later anyway

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Pointless argument... the unavoidable truth of gaming is that exclusive, good games are on multiple machines and if you want to play them all, you need the machine it runs on. Until the PC emulates it 10 years later anyway
    Dolphin became arguably better than the Wii during it's commercial life

But that is an isolated exception. You are generally correct, emulators take a very, very long time to mature. You'll be lucky if an emulator becomes playable during the next generation.

However we do have lots of multi-platform games and for me, the PC is uncontested when comparing the multiplatform releases due to much higher technical capability/flexibility. A regret that I have is that I bought Castlevania Lords of Shadow for PS3 early in the year thinking that it was a console only game but then I saw a PC release - doh! Missed out on playing at ubber high-res and crisp graphics.

PS3 had some damn good exclusive games. Much better than what I have seen from Xbox 360. That's what motivated me to get the PS3. Any game on the Xbox which I would be interested in, already has a superior PC release.

The Wii is a weird exception. Nintendo exclusive game franchises like Zelda, Mario and so forth are excellent and I have been a fan for most of my life. However Nintendo has produced pretty technically crappy consoles for the last couple of generations. Thankfully, the Dolphin emulator matured enough to surpass the Wii limitations within it's life span and made owning a Wii irrelevant. Playing Twilight Princess in full 1080p is freaking sweet and so is Donkey Kong Country returns or Mario Galaxy. On top of that, Dolphin also flawlessly emulates the GameCube but I am yet to experience that first hand (will soon )

I have heard so many bad things about he Wii-U that I am keeping distance until I see what happens. Apparently is in danger of loosing the current console wars and dropping out due to less than expected sales. A generation without an active Nintendo consoles does not sound right to me but they have been mismanaging it by alienating the core fan base the last few gens.