Page 11 of 467 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

Finished up Assassin's Creed II last week so now I'm on to Fallout 3: GOTY edition but my save games won't work because they were done with a different region version of the game and a different user account. Had to start over, ah well there's still heaps of things I missed the first time around anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    My googling reveals that its a remake of the first game with Harry. Ooooo, interested.

DD, I would very much like to here your views on what it is like!
    Keep in mind it's a 're-imagining' of the original Silent Hill, not a remake.

First impressions of SH:SM are very, very good. I only had a chance to play for about an hour last night but what I did play was simply mesmerising. And controlling Harry and manipulating the flashlight for the first time will blow you away! It's that same feeling you get when playing RE4 for the first time, it just feels so goddamn right. If I had to be critical I'd say it lacks the dread and feeling of impending doom that permeates the original title, but overall, so far so good!

Well, finished Shattered Memories last night and while I think I'm definitely going to be in the minority here, I was a bit disappointed. Shattered Memories isn't a bad game, it just feels extremely tame for a Silent Hill game and like Climax's other SH effort, Origins, I became tired of the game before the credits rolled.

For starters, exploration in 'normal' Silent Hill takes up the majority of play time, and during that time there is absolutely ZERO danger (infact Silent Hill is such a happy place even Harry can't help himself from making chirpy remarks from time to time like 'Heh, I haven't been fishing since I was a kid' despite supposedly being distraught over his daughters disappearance), there is very little in the way of suspense and intrigue (it lacks that 'what's going to be around the next corner' feeling I loved from previous SH games), and for the most part the town of Silent Hill and the majority of characters you meet within that town couldn't be any less interesting if they tried. That, and there are simply no surprises in this game.

For the most part you wonder around an empty, uninteresting Silent Hill solving puzzles that are borderline insulting in their simplicity (I lost track of how many times I found a key within 10 steps of a locked door, given to you by pulling a drawer open or shaking a can...) waiting for the plot to be explained usually via sms or VM, and very rarely via a cutscene. It seems most people don't mind this, but after a while I felt like I was playing a peopleless Shenmue with very little to hold my attention (yes, Climax somehow managed to even make the town of Silent Hill boring).

Whenever things start to get interesting, Mr Freeze from Batman turns up and coats the town in a layer of ice, forcing you to navigate your way through a series of doors until you exit the 'nightmare'. These scenes crop up maybe once every 30-50 minutes and are nothing short of an annoying chore. The monsters that try to drag you down to the floor (who I ended up feeling sorry for - it looks like all they wanted was a hug, and if Harry gets too much hugging he collapses to the floor while the monsters stare at him) are about as scary as Jiggly Puff from Pokemon and are about as much fun to thwart as it is to swat a fly. Did I mention none of this is scary? No? Okay, well, it's not. Shattered Memories likes to give you the impression that there's danger but then there's nothing to back it up. Why should I be scared? How is this a nightmare?

It's not all bad though. The way the game controls and how the camera sits is a huge leap forward for the series and the way the flashlight controls/lights up the gameworld inparticular is nothing short of amazing. Better than that though is the much talked about 'psychological profiling'. It's the best new addition to the game and is implemented brilliantly. The ending that I received was similarly clever and warrants playing the game a second time to better understand the events leading up to the finale.

I think at the end of the day it is a good game, but at the same time it's not what I've come to expect from a Silent Hill title. Maybe being a reimaging I wasn't aware of just how different a game it was going to be and I've put myself at a disadvantage going into the the game with different expectations, who knows. I urge everyone with a Wii to give it a go as at the very least it's something unique and for that alone it deserves some praise. Just go into it with a completely open mind and hopefully you'll have a better time with it than I did.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    Finished up Assassin's Creed II last week so now I'm on to Fallout 3: GOTY edition but my save games won't work because they were done with a different region version of the game and a different user account. Had to start over, ah well there's still heaps of things I missed the first time around anyway.
    Dude, save the game before you disarm the bomb in megaton and agree to blow it up. It's freaking sweet. The reward sucks though as the megaton house is far better than the hotel room.

Oh yea, mothership zeta rules.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Arkham Sequel!

http://arkhamhasmoved.com/

trailer isn't up yet, Two Face looks set to be the big bad.
    I hope they put the Had Hatter in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Dude, save the game before you disarm the bomb in megaton and agree to blow it up. It's freaking sweet. The reward sucks though as the megaton house is far better than the hotel room.

Oh yea, mothership zeta rules.
    I was really looking forward to blowing up the bomb but somehow I went down a dialogue path that had the guy head back to Tenpenny Tower to rethink it. DRATS!

Oh and I accidentally started Mothership Zeta this morning. Had just left the Republic of Dave (probably my favourite place in the Wasteland) and stumbled upon a UFO. Hope it doesn't take too long as I really want to get back to the various quests I'm halfway through.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Mothership zeta can be pretty long. But it's so cool in the finale of it.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Just finished up Zeta. The ended was awesome, but the whole thing felt too... I dunno linear and repeatative. It basically played out like a normal FPS.

Ah well, back in the Wasteland now...

Teaser for Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 is up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ba...spike-tv/59828