Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 2008 Acquisitions: Your best and worst?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You actually once thought "modern is inferior"? Wow... on the whole I totally agree that G1 is absolutely a fragile and nostalgic throwback - as much as I love it.

Having said that there are several toys which are poorly made by modern standards - like Animated Grimlock and Blitzwing, by 2008 standards I find them to be rather underwhelming toys whereas G1 Blitzwing and Grimlock are very good toys by 1985 standards.

But so long as a modern toy is made well by modern standards, then I agree that modern is superior. Take Henkei Hound for example... that toy is pure awesomesauce. Or to use examples from Animated, Blackarachnia and Prowl. Very well done figures..
    I'm surprised too, really. I always thought vintage US G1 was superior in my mind b/c it gave me exactly what I wanted, representations of the G1 characters I grew up on and drooled over in toy catalogues that I thought I would never have. Yet I think Classics/Henkei changed all that b/c I could get modern representations of the same characters and for me that substituted for G1. Of course, a lot of it is dependent on customs and Hasbro/Takara continuing with Classics (which I suspect they will) but G1 still does have a few things Classics still doesn't like the City Former, the combiner teams and the special teams.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    15 - Are there any changes to your buying habits that you're hoping to make?
    Cutting back on the JP stuff that is just recolours of Hasbro stuff.
    I see the words, but they're in the wrong order.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

B]1 - What was the total number obtained for the year (roughly, if you don't know)?[/B]
    My laptop died along with my spreadsheet, i would guess 140 items (160 transformers) but they were mostly minis

2 - What was your best acquisition for the year?
    Alternator Smokescreen , i think it was my 5th acquisition and i am a rally fan, so i was glad to start my collection with an Alternator for $26 NIB. City Commander ranks up with that too!

3 - What was your worst, or the thing you most regretted buying?
    Supreme Animated Roll-out Prime , i couldn't pick it up even though they extended my layby date..

4 - Most difficult item to find?
    Henkei Wildrider

5 - Item you never found, but still want?
    MA-21 , why does it always rain on me (didnt even know this existed until i saw it at Jay's place )

6 - Were the Animated toys in general good or bad?
    Excellent , the toys looked exactly like how they would in the cartoon, i liked how the toy sizes corresponded with the cartoon and the variety of the toys made it appeal to everyone, collectors and kids alike

7 - Were the Classics 2.0/Universe 2.0 toys in general good or bad?
    Hasbro releases are targeted at the children market with most of the REDOCS focusing on the G1 toy/Comic deco. The paint app made the toy feel cheap when held and displayed. The toys are excellent and as a collector i prefered the Henkei releases for their tech spec and all those little details i appreciate.

8 - Were the rest of the Movie toys in general good or bad?
    didn't bother

9 - Did you think the Encores this year were good or bad?
    Excellent!!!

10 - Did you think the Henkei was good or bad?
    Henkei - so much love for these toys, my favourite G1 characters given a 'modern update' , its worth the extra $15-$20 premium for these toys.

11 - Did you buy any non-transforming toys?
    Myclones - so disappointed these were cancelled, got HoC off Ice and Robot Heroes (can't wait till i own every single transformer character!! so glad it is popular and won't get cancelled anytime soon)

12 - Did you buy any officially licensed (non-toy) merchandise?
    nope.

13 - Did you buy the Animated DVDs?
    Nope.

14 - Did you buy any of the Madman DVDs?
    nope. in no rush to buy these..

15 - Did you import the Cybertron boxset?
    Nope.

14 - Are there any trends in your buying that you noticed?
    More organised and methodically by creating a purchasing schedule and checklist, i'm more selective and controlled in my decision-making. This way i stress out less and always have spare money in my pocket.

15 - Are there any changes to your buying habits that you're hoping to make?
    Have prioirity on what items to get before they become harder to find, such as getting Encore ReissueSunstorm in case it becomes limited.. avoid regrets such as MA-21 and Henkei Wildrider

16 - What are you looking forward to most in 2009?
    Anything from TT, TF movie and repaints of the movie 2009 toys to become available immediately , more henkeis, Animated to continue, enjoying TF
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Tried licking any of your MyClones? They're coated with a special paint-coating which is designed to be bitter when tasted by infants, inducing them to spit them out. That's to prevent them from putting their small parts into their mouthes and potentially choking on them.

I haven't tried tasting a MyClone but I know someone who did (I'll leave it up to him to identify himself if he wants to ).

What's MA-21?
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    What's MA-21?
    Japanese version of Premium Leader Optimus Prime with the extra chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Japanese version of Premium Leader Optimus Prime with the extra chrome.
    Oh! Rabbit Ears!