Page 81 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6171767778798081828384858691101 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I was upset to watch Apocalypse and see no resolution to the ending OF DOFP when it's revealed Mystique was Stryker who retrieved Logan's body from the lake.

I've heard people criticise Capt USA 3 for:
    #1: Not having a resolution -- there actually is one
    #2: None of the main characters dying -- there's reasons for it
    #3: Thor and Hulk's unexplained absence -- again, reasons

1. I think a lot of people wanted to see either Team Cap or Team Fe win, but both sides lost. The real winner was Baron Zemo, because his primary objective was to divide the Avengers. Make them fight themselves and self destruct as a unit. He has achieved this objective. Although the two sides are no longer warring, they are now a house divided.

2. Continuity. We know that the MCU is building more movies for the next couple of years, and as a result their main players are essentially locked and placed on a "do not kill" list in order to maintain continuity for those future movies. Captain America 3 is only the first of the MCU's Phase III movies, with other Phase 3ers including Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy II, Spider-Man: Homecoming (and 'homecoming' was one of Bucky's activation words), Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Ant-Man & the Wasp, Capt. Marvel, Avengers: Infinity Wars 1 & Avengers: Infinity Wars 2. Marvel most likely wanted all of the Avengers to at least survive to appear in the Infinity Wars films.

3. As above, Thor and Hulk are locked into events for the Thor: Ragnarok film, so they were excluded from Capt. America Civil War in order to prevent continuity conflicts with the Thor 3.

One thing about building a big intertwined cinematic universe is continuity maintenance, which does restrict film makers in terms of what they can and cannot do with characters. This is why Christopher Nolan refused to tie in his Batman movies with any other DCU characters like Superman, and also because he wanted his story to focus on a single protagonist (or two with Robin's inclusion in The Dark Knight Rises). This is something that I wish Michael Bay would pay closer attention to.

I finally picked up Deadpool on DVD and watched it (having missed seeing it in cinemas ). I liked it as it really captures the character well, and a lot of meta stuff was funny.

...but...

I didn't find myself physically laughing out loud at any point of the movie. It made me smile and think, "I see what you did there," a lot. Although the line that Deadpool makes about the studio not being able to afford any more X-Men in the film made me go, "Heh." That was as close as I got to actually laughing aloud while watching this movie. I think that the Honest Trailer describes this film accurately in that the humour seems to be pitched at a 17 year old level and feels like a really long and violent episode of Family Guy. And I guess that this is pretty much what the Deadpool character is - no more, no less.

This isn't meant to be a criticism against the movie per se. Deadpool isn't meant to deliver high brow levels of wit - as I understand it, he's just not that kind of character, so it's not meant to be that kind of movie. So in terms of what Deadpool is supposed to be, I think that the movie is excellent. It is a fantastic Deadpool film that is very true to its original source material. If only the live action Transformers movies could be made as well (I did like how Deadpool even took a jab at Michael Bay)...

I think that I would've enjoyed this movie more if I'd seen in with a cinema audience, because other people's laughs might've prompted me to laugh along with them. But when I watched it by myself there wasn't anything in the film that made me want to laugh aloud.

Ah well... that's what Monty Python's for.

I probably miss about 50% of the movie because I was laughing so much (that was at the cinema though, re-watched it at home twice since)
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I'm trying to find a copy of the 4K edition of Deadpool, for later when I eventually get a 4K TV. They don't seem to be as widespread though...

The next Star Trek movie isn't out yet but it will be in memory of the new Chekov... who died yesterday from a freak accident. It looks like his own car crushed him from being left in neutral on an incline.

The original Chekov is one of the last survivors of the original crew, so it will be strange to have him outlive his replacement.

http://www.cnet.com/news/anton-yelch...reak-accident/

I'll always remember Anton as Byrd from Huff. I strongly recommend checking it out.

2016 is proving to be a really hazardous year for celebrities.

Normally celebrity deaths are nothing to me, but this one has gotten to me. Maybe because I now think of him as the canonical Chekov, or maybe because he seems like a fine young man. I will miss him in Star Trek 4.

That makes two Enterprise crew they need to dedicate this movie too.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Finding Dory was a fine film.

Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking (other than Pixar showing off everything they can do with water in both the feature and short film that precedes it).

Not sure it will be as well remembered as the original (nor should it be) as everything in it is predictable (other than the final action piece, which has a predictable conclusion, but the ride is a good laugh.)
    Of the new characters, they are all pretty much used as dues ex machina, more or less how Crush was in the first film.

Sigourney Weavers "cameo" was pretty funny, not sure whose idea it was, but she is obviously happy to have a laugh at her own expense!

Perfect school holiday film (which may not have as many screenings in a fortnight as it should).
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)