Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Confused about Predaking and Volcanicus size differential (Power of the Primes)

This combiner topic is practically a 'personal rivalries' discussion now. I cannot resist making a few comments of my own, with a focus on G1 toys and rivalries I'd have liked to see.

- As a kid, looking at the 1985 catalogue, it struck me that Decepticon Triple-Changers and Autobot Jumpstarters should be rivals. Similar sizes, two each side, and gimmicks both based on transformation. Of course, a year later Autobot Triple-Changes and Decepticon Battlechargers complicated matters.

- I would have loved to see Shockwave and Ultra Magnus square off against one another (and they might have in comics, but I'm not a reader of those). Both big toys, both loyal deputies, both generally calm and collected. It might have happened if cartoons had depicted events leading up to the movie.

- Once more considering size, it would have been cool to have Galvratron take on Powermaster Optimus Prime, maybe even have the mad Decepticon leader re-issued with a Nebulon gimmick of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    - Once more considering size, it would have been cool to have Galvratron take on Powermaster Optimus Prime, maybe even have the mad Decepticon leader re-issued with a Nebulon gimmick of his own.
    *cough* Time Wars *cough*

I'm really at a disadvantage not having read the comics.

I'm really at a disadvantage not having read the comics.
    Reprints are your friends.

- I would have loved to see Shockwave and Ultra Magnus square off against one another (and they might have in comics, but I'm not a reader of those). Both big toys, both loyal deputies, both generally calm and collected. It might have happened if cartoons had depicted events leading up to the movie.
    They fight in Transformers Prime. In the comics, the main one that comes to mind is when OP and Magnus team up against a powered up Shockwave in the Dreamwave series. There are probably other instances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    They fight in Transformers Prime. In the comics, the main one that comes to mind is when OP and Magnus team up against a powered up Shockwave in the Dreamwave series. There are probably other instances as well.
    Yup, Magnus works for Shockwave but then Magnus gets uppity so Shockwave shoots him. Then Magnus comes back and even with one arm lays a fair punch on Shockwave.

You know, the usual workplace issues

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So you never ever used Blaster's chest gimmick in 1985?
    You're assuming I got him in 85. I don't remember ever having him without his tapes. Maybe I got them all in 86?

- I would have loved to see Shockwave and Ultra Magnus square off against one another (and they might have in comics, but I'm not a reader of those). Both big toys, both loyal deputies, both generally calm and collected.
    Shockwave loyal... snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    You're assuming I got him in 85. I don't remember ever having him without his tapes. Maybe I got them all in 86?
    If you bought the Autobot cassettes in the same year, then yeah, it must've been 1986. Blaster was available in both years but the Autobot Cassettes were only first made available in 1986, so none of us had them in '85 and had to make do with the Decepticon Cassettes.

It's also why Blaster appears without any Cassettes in Season 2 of the G1 cartoon, but we see the Cassettes appear in TFTM and Season 3.