Page 9 of 154 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141929 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    After a little help.

Batrim once watched a real cheap low quality movie with beyond cheap effects about Killer birds.

Could help with the name of that movie?

Thanks so much

*snip*
    That would be none other than: Birdemic - My good friend.

Gentlemen & a Scholar, thanks Hursty!!

at how bad the movie really is!

No probs at all dude, just wait until you actually sit down & watch the whole thing through!

Anyone seen Prometheus yet? I was really looking forward to this one and I came away quite disappointed. I seriously didn't like the direction they took with the (briefly masterful) Alien series.

I can't really go into it without entering spoiler territory but rather than focus on the good stuff, I felt we got a cringe-worthy story about the origins of mankind with the Alien universe seemingly tacked on. Seriously, why did they have to even bring the Alien universe into it? It could have been a movie that stood on its own legs ala Event Horizon, Sunshine or District 9 but no! As is, the whole concept feels incredibly forced and things I adored about the first couple of films (especially the Alien pilot, one of my favourite HR Giger pieces) now feel somewhat cheapened.

I think the biggest problem is definitely with the script though. The movie could have actually been quite amazing. For starters, did anyone give a damn about any of the characters bar David? Personally I couldn't wait for them to all perish! Aside from the totally undeveloped, cannon-fodder generics (one is particularly laughable and made me think of Benjamin Button), the amount of things that go unexplained, the stupid things the characters do, the totally unrealistic things that happen (the best scene in the movie is also the most laughable), the cliche scares with zero suspense...It's so frustrating!!

There were a number of viral videos which were really quite amazing and setup the story quite well. None of these were featured in the film which is fair enough (I suppose?) but for those that hadn't seen them, the film will lack even more coherence. Why didn't they at least put the freakin' Weyland speech in there??

When it comes down to it, Prometheus is a Jurassic Park ripoff with the dinosaurs replaced by the Borg from Star Trek. If that floats your boat then you'll no doubt love it.

There is not an emoticon that can justify how poor this movie is... and it's getting a sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    No probs at all dude, just wait until you actually sit down & watch the whole thing through!
    Yeah it's not just the special effects the acting is some of the worst I have ever seen. My year 10 high school production had better acting. I played Benvolio... I still think we should of sued Baz Luhrmann as we did a modern adaption a 2years before his movie came out. He totally stole a copy of video made and copied it... I swear.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Went and saw Prometheus. I really liked the film. It is a "F**k You" movie though.

To sum it up (No spoilers) it is pretty much:
    - These are some people.
    - This is what they want to do.
    - This is where they go.
    - This is what happens.
    - This is the end.
    Don't like the ending? Well F**k you.
    Wanted a happier ending? Well F**k you.
    Wanted more or less closure? F**k you.

It leaves you sort of thinking what was the point of it all. But the point really ends up being that life is harsh, bad things do happen. But it really comes down to what you make of it all.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Just watched Prometheus. i've been looking forward to this movie for a while now. Anyone who is familiar with H.R. Giger's work will instantly recognize some more of his artworks brought to life.
    I was under the impression this was meant to be the alien prequel . The way i see it is, its a pre prequel or a pre pre prequel.. looking forward to another or 2 to tie it all together.......hopefully

i still rate it. 5 stars. item arrived exactly as described!. *****

or 9.5. but i'm most likely biased
    Last edited by Slag; 10th June 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Just saw Prometheus and I thought it was interesting. I would probably watch it again only if I could listen to Ridley Scott's commentary in explaining what the hell was going on.

I watched Prometheus yesterday. The movie didn't meet my expectations, but I wasn't disappointed. How is that? I enjoy the sci fi genre and anything is good, and this one asked alot of questions but really dosen't answer them. But it works to the movies favor, to keep mystery and its fun to speculate. This movie is almost like a teaser, which should of covered more, and will lead into a sequel no doubt. It was planned like this.

My expectations, was suspense and terror. It has none. People die is an obvious predictable fashion.

I didn't really like the final scenes, gah! that could of been saved for a sequel, and we could of had something else instead.

maybe towards the end i would have done a few things differently (but i didn't come up with the trillion dollars to make it) for me it only had to answer one question that has annoyed me for fifteen years . and it did more or less. of coarse now i have more questions, but they're new questions so i can wait a bit..
    If you are going to go and watch it i would recommend putting yourself through the original 1978 Alien movie 1st. and maybe aliens special edition