• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you GoktimusPrime. Surely the question is valid, if MPs are generally becoming more expensive which they are, some people may stop collecting.
    I think most people are willing to pay higher prices if it means better designs.
    e.g.
    MP36 vs MP5
    MP10 vs MP01
    MP39 vs MP12
    ...etc.

I suppose the question is, is there a limit to how much people will pay for a toy, regardless of its superior design? I don't know. Hearing stories about how much money some people are happily willing to throw on WAY simpler second hand toys on the aftermarket, I honestly don't know. It seems that for some collectors there doesn't seem to be a visible upper limit. Some people seem to have incredibly deep pockets and are willing to pay any price for something that they want.

It seems that TakaraTOMY are experimenting in what this upper threshold is. And from a designer's POV it also means that they can do more with a toy if they have a bigger budget to play around with. And if there is to be a toyline for which they can experiment with high end adult collectable figures, why not Masterpiece? MPs have always been the high end luxury item toyline of Transformers.

But maybe this is all too much for them and it will blow up in TakaraTOMY's faces. But at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets. As long as people are willing to buy these fancier "Rolls Royce" level MPs then TakaraTOMY will continue to make them.

For me, 2 of the 3 Coneheads cost me $10 more than Starscream and less than MP Skywarp Otherwise I would have just skipped them as you say. All except maybe Dirge were quite good value to me compared to Grapple, Inferno and Sunstreaker.
    I paid about $200 for MP Thrust and Ramjet, which is roughly double what I normally pay for MP Jets. MP Dirge was about $250 because a certain retailer never delivered.

However my point was that while for example, I want an MP Hound, the price is going up for something with an aesthetic I don't really want. So its just another reason to no longer collect. If I still loved the look of current MP it would be different.
    Meh... even if a toy is initially expensive, you could always just wait and see if you can get it cheaper off the aftermarket. I recently grabbed MP Clampdown for $35 - loose complete in excellent condition. Also grabbed MP Delta Magnus earlier this year (loose in box) for cheap too.

I honestly just want the humans that come with MP44! I might wait and see if I can get a loose one for cheap later... maybe keep the humans and sell the actual Transformer off. Having said that, selling does royally suck, so... maybe not.

P.S.: I think it's also really important as to how we answer Question 19 on the survey. If people keep on nominating "cartoon accuracy" as a reason for why they've purchased past MPs, then obviously TakaraTOMY are going to continue pushing for greater slavish cartoon accuracy, which in turn means a LOT of otherwise needlessly expensive feats of engineering. Previous MPs were a mix of cartoon likeness and more unique design aesthetic - e.g. MP1, MP10. But recently we've seen a push towards greater slavish cartoon accuracy with MPs looking like the bloody cartoon character just jumped out of the screen and became real. If you keep asking for this then TakaraTOMY will respond in kind!

Quite sure I will continue to collect them, just might be a little more picky.

My MP wants highlighted in grey

Don't need another Convoy. I'm good for Decepticons, thanks. What I really want are the rest of the first year Autobots!

* GONG
    * DRAG
    * CLIFF
    * CHARGER
    * GEARS
    * TRAILBREAKER
    * HOUND ←pre-ordering this baby on sight!
    * MEISTER

currently undoable until TakaraTOMY acquires the Porsche licence

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think most people are willing to pay higher prices if it means better designs.
    e.g.
    MP36 vs MP5
    MP10 vs MP01
    MP39 vs MP12
    ...etc.

I suppose the question is, is there a limit to how much people will pay for a toy, regardless of its superior design? I don't know. Hearing stories about how much money some people are happily willing to throw on WAY simpler second hand toys on the aftermarket, I honestly don't know. It seems that for some collectors there doesn't seem to be a visible upper limit. Some people seem to have incredibly deep pockets and are willing to pay any price for something that they want.

It seems that TakaraTOMY are experimenting in what this upper threshold is. And from a designer's POV it also means that they can do more with a toy if they have a bigger budget to play around with. And if there is to be a toyline for which they can experiment with high end adult collectable figures, why not Masterpiece? MPs have always been the high end luxury item toyline of Transformers.

But maybe this is all too much for them and it will blow up in TakaraTOMY's faces. But at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets. As long as people are willing to buy these fancier "Rolls Royce" level MPs then TakaraTOMY will continue to make them.

I paid about $200 for MP Thrust and Ramjet, which is roughly double what I normally pay for MP Jets. MP Dirge was about $250 because a certain retailer never delivered.

Meh... even if a toy is initially expensive, you could always just wait and see if you can get it cheaper off the aftermarket. I recently grabbed MP Clampdown for $35 - loose complete in excellent condition. Also grabbed MP Delta Magnus earlier this year (loose in box) for cheap too.

I honestly just want the humans that come with MP44! I might wait and see if I can get a loose one for cheap later... maybe keep the humans and sell the actual Transformer off. Having said that, selling does royally suck, so... maybe not.

P.S.: I think it's also really important as to how we answer Question 19 on the survey. If people keep on nominating "cartoon accuracy" as a reason for why they've purchased past MPs, then obviously TakaraTOMY are going to continue pushing for greater slavish cartoon accuracy, which in turn means a LOT of otherwise needlessly expensive feats of engineering. Previous MPs were a mix of cartoon likeness and more unique design aesthetic - e.g. MP1, MP10. But recently we've seen a push towards greater slavish cartoon accuracy with MPs looking like the bloody cartoon character just jumped out of the screen and became real. If you keep asking for this then TakaraTOMY will respond in kind!
    Here's the kick, to me personally, MP-12 is superior to MP-39. I have two MP-12 Sideswipe (v2 and v3) that I love to transform and pose. Sunstreaker sits in a box in the cupboard. I got him out once and that was enough. More complicated transformation for toon accuracy is the last thing I want but obviously others feel differently and thus the line is heading the way it is. I wish they had at least finished the carbots in the same aesthetic but it wasn't to be.

I certainly don't risk waiting for main line MP if I think I want them. I preorder straight up. Repaints yeah, they are rarely popular but I'm not into them anyway, I only own G2 Sideswipe and Bumblebee a second MP-10 that sits with them. I do want MP29+ but I'm running the gauntlet with him to see if his price drops.

I also overpaid for Dirge due to the same retailer, about $225 delivered from memory. Same for Inferno and Grapple unfortunately. I partly just paid the extra because I feel my days collecting MP (and transformers in general) is coming to a close. Probably finish with MP Hound unless Jazz comes along. Maybe grab the Toyota bros too. My G1 collection is also done unless by miracle they realize those missing mould figures. The MP price increase isn't the reason (I'm not exactly lacking in cash - cough), it just helps it along.

P.S. I too only want the human figures from MP-44

Don't need another Convoy. I'm good for Decepticons, thanks. What I really want are the rest of the first year Autobots!

* GONG
    * DRAG
    * CLIFF
    * CHARGER
    * GEARS
    * TRAILBREAKER
    * MEISTER

I really want Cliffjumper too as long as he is a real car version. I'm not sure that would be the case with the toon accuracy possibly going even further but you never know.
    Last edited by Kranix; 9th December 2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Remove attachment

Licensing would require Cliff's alt mode to be realistically proportioned, which would make it look less G1 accurate. Although TakaraTOMY could try to engineer it so that the alt mode could transform between being realistically and G1 proportioned. We saw them do this at a much simpler level with Sunstreaker. But that was just the exposed engine and tail lights -- Cliff's gonna require more engineering magic. Couple this with the combined complications of making a cartoon like robot mode, and we can see that the cost of this toy is gonna be much higher than say MP Bumblebee.

My Binaltechs and Alternities (and CHUGs if need be) continue to substitute for yet to be done MPs until they're actually done.

Up the price points and do two minibots as a combo package. Who would be the last one to the final pair? The toyota that was never named

Licensing would require Cliff's alt mode to be realistically proportioned, which would make it look less G1 accurate. Although TakaraTOMY could try to engineer it so that the alt mode could transform between being realistically and G1 proportioned. We saw them do this at a much simpler level with Sunstreaker. But that was just the exposed engine and tail lights -- Cliff's gonna require more engineering magic. Couple this with the combined complications of making a cartoon like robot mode, and we can see that the cost of this toy is gonna be much higher than say MP Bumblebee.

My Binaltechs and Alternities (and CHUGs if need be) continue to substitute for yet to be done MPs until they're actually done. [/img]
    I've seen pics of a 3rd party cliffjumper that was pretty accurate to the real Porsche in alt mode but also basically toon accurate in bot mode. So I think it can be done even better by Takara but I'm still not convinced that they won't go down the path of non licensed Mini bots including a chibbi Cliffjumper. Especially if they give up on the Porsche license after doing all the other carbots. It could involve a v2 Chibbi Bumblebee if the relationship with VW is strong enough post movie.

Personally I hope they somehow manage to get the Porsche license. Jazz and Cliffjumper in real car MP form would be a dream for so many fans!

* GONG
    * DRAG
    * CLIFF
    * CHARGER
    * GEARS
    * TRAILBREAKER
    * MEISTER

My MP acquirement list is exactly identical to yours Gok!

All I’m after, and have ever been after in the MP range is the year 1 autobots (actually I should clarify, the group that journeyed to earth on the Ark) anything in addition to that is purely selective. I already have MP 10 and I think that’s still a great representation of Optimus. I have no interest in version 3.0.

Any new release of a previously unreleased G1 autobot will be sought to be acquired. Fingers crossed prices don’t get too ridiculous
    Last edited by Meister; 9th December 2018 at 02:47 PM.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I have a lot of issues about this line and several reasons I am out.
    Take note I did purchase mp 44 but that’s probably my last toy I am buying for the entire tt line not just mp unless a jazz maybe since 3p doesn’t cut it for me in this instance.

I feel TT has the potential but are not delivering. To me the masterpiece line is just frustrating and has no proper direction. I have heaps of toys with better quality and does transform and cost a lot less than a mp 44.

I said this before, I am willing to pay top dollars but in return I want top quality and materials. Now I only see partial in mp 44 and is not entirely meeting the mark especially at 35,000 not even to mention 50,000jpy.

I don’t even want to discuss about the other toy lines as you hardly see me in any as I felt the toys were expensive and not collectors grade.

Pretty sure I am quite done with the greed of TT. I will not be buying hound now regardless of price point.