Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you know it's time to move on from Transformers collecting

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Awww - I didn't know you were having a kid - congrats dude! Best thing you will ever do!

The time thing is a major factor. Take my last shipment from BBTS. 5 Generations toys, 2 Masterpiece toys and AM Frenzy. So far in the 3+ weeks I've had these figures I've only gotten around to opening MP-G2 Sideswipe Between a job, a 16 month old and a hobby farm, I'm lucky if I get around to opening one figure a fortnight. Hell - my Kreo Menasor and Computron have been sitting on a shelf unopened since Dec! So yeah, your concerns are pretty valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I still haven't unpacked (I have opened the box) a BBTS shipment from December. I have found my interest to be dropping off a bit. But that is mainly due to time as I have a few other things going on in my life that take priority. I still have some TPB comics in the plastic sleeves that I haven't read either. I feel guilty sometimes and then I realise that I am still a fan of Transformers I am just time poor. Also the basis of my collection (Generations/Classics/Whatever you want to call it) is pretty much complete at the moment.

If only there was some way I could get someone to pay without having to work, that way I would have a lot more spare time and I would be able to finis sorting out my TF room.
    Congrats Shirokaze, great news about the little one.

Huh, i'm married, no kids, I only live 10 minutes from work and I still only manage to open maybe one toy a week on average. I've been buying faster than I open for years now. I need to open more because they take up less space but then, I'd also need to move some off display into boxes.
    My Phantom comic stack of unread grows steadily, I'm nearly two years behind at the moment, when we go away I burst through 5 - ten issues at a time but otherwise it's something I don't get around to anywhere near often enough.

I suppose time poor is part of it, perhaps time management for me is a bigger issue.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Default How do you know it's time to move on from Transformers collecting

I decided to just collect MP... then I get dragged back in by Generations... My partner is very understanding... I often combine watching my favorite TV show while opening new Transformers I bought... it's all about multi tasking.

Well, I dunno about stopping, prolly just slowing down.. after I've completed the US released G1 figures I pretty much have been buying just what I want. based on Goks list though I still have 11 figures to get, mostly the insignificant ones which really doesn't count for me ( those red and purple "erasers", the minispies, pfft) Granted that I want a lot of figures (G1 Jap and Euro)hahaha , but I'm back to the old collecting routine before I decided to get the whole G1 series completed. Buying only the ones I want and skipping those that doesn't tick my interest. Also I'm quite patient to sit back and wait, if I can't have the toy coz it's too pricey (hello AM Elite!) meh...Which has saved me heaps enough for me to send more money overseas to my mum and help out in the expenses for the new house construction plus buying a lot of items for interior décor for that new house. I'm just enjoying the collection as it is.

If ever I did need to desperately sell the collection - it's the Bayverse first then the Unicron trilogy , then RiD next and then the Sealed doubles of generations. I won't touch my G1s if I can help it.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I have slowed down a lot. Mostly because I have most of the things I wanted but at the same time because in the last year, I had to be a bit more financially conservative.

There is also the factor that there really isn't much currently released that is interesting. I went to TrU the other day and was a mess with shelfwarming movie toys, some could barely even be called that as they look like KOs. They have begun to pile them up as they don't fit on shelves any more.

So mostly 3P toys for me and since the ones that interest me have huge development times, collecting is a lot slower than it was and as a result far less exciting.

Not stopped but certainly hibernating a bit as too much 'meh'.

If you really need to ask yourself that, maybe it is time.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

i'm at that stage in my life now where i'll be calling it quits soon.
    There are still quite a few loose ends to tie up in my collection & depending on how long it takes to take care of them will determine how much longer i'll be actively involved in buying more plastic -no more new ranges of toys, just plug the gaps & that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    There are still quite a few loose ends to tie up in my collection & depending on how long it takes to take care of them will determine how much longer i'll be actively involved in buying more plastic -no more new ranges of toys, just plug the gaps & that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    haha,
    yea I said that when Animated was coming out, now post animated, post movies, post TFPrime, I'm still going strong... not to mention MP's

let me know how you go with that
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

People have been pretty much asking me since 1987 when I would be giving up Transformers. It got pretty intense in 1988-89 as more and more other kids dropped out of Transfandom - by 1990 people had pretty much given up asking me and accepted the fact that I was a TFer for life So no, I have absolutely no intention of ever giving up Transformers.

Having said that, I do feel that it's time to move on from something when I'm no longer using it; in terms of toys, playing with them (or at very least displaying them). I'm currently going through a massive purge of non-TF toys which I've been keeping in storage... an idea which I personally find silly, as I end up feeling more like a toy hoarder than a collector. Transformers is something that I'll always continue to actively and passionately love and play with, but yeah... I'm currently offloading a lot of m--- wait...

7 minutes later

Woo... just got rid of about half my Marvel collection! Where was I? Oh yeah, I'm offloading a lot of my non-TF stuff which has just been sitting in boxes.

Gok you have inspired me in a likewise fashion. I spent last night rummaging through storage and grabbing out all the old transformers that I know will never realistically see the light of day in one of my display cabinets.

I spent the evening matching weapons to the bots and photographing them. If I get some time tonight they are all going up here for free.

Back on topic... I was a huge fan as a kid in the late 80s-early 90s but never had the money to really buy the transformers I wanted. Once it hit the late 90s I'd mostly stopped collecting.

However, once the 20th Anniversary came around and I picked up a Masterpiece OP I was hooked again and I don't see myself stopping. So for now I will keep collecting unless for financial reasons I am required to give it up.

Side note... you know you should slow down collecting when you have a little too much wine one night and end up ordering so many transformers online that you dread the wife reading the credit card bill this month...