Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone is happily/unhappily on NBN?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default anyone is happily/unhappily on NBN?

my place is to be on FTTN. How much speed I can expect on FTTN?

Is there any resources that I can check the wire distance between a node to my house?

I heard FTTN is guaranteed to be at least 25Mbps/5Mbps nationwide, is this true?

can buying a $400 NBN model help increase the speed holding other things unchanged?
    thx.

Being fibre to the node, it’s the same as the distance to any ADSL exchange, here are a few sites a quick google away that’ll help there.

As for guaranteed rate, nah, that’s a pipe dream - that’s the theoretical max speed you can achieve... when no one else is on, you’re next door to the exchange, and it’s a nice calm, pollen free, sunny day.

Best place to find answers to all your questions:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/142

In terms of what speed you might get, you need to find the nearest one of these to you house:
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37....7i13312!8i6656

Basically if you're within say 3-400 meters of one of those, and assuming there is no damage to the copper line from there to your house, your speeds should be fairly good. further than that the speeds start dropping off quickly.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Choosing a provider who doesn’t overfill their connection makes a big difference too. I am on a HFC connection*, pay $79/mth and get right up near 100/40 everytime.

*took 6mths to connect my previously connected house and have also switched providers which was great but was another 3wks without internet. All NBNco’s fault not the RSP’s.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

ok, I will become a vegetarian, and I stop killing ants and other insects invading bed room and hope for the karma working out give me a better connection.

No NBN for the foreseeable future.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Something to think about; If you were on the Telstra boosted cable, (over 100mbps), then going to nbn slows you down.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

I'm currently getting 8mbps down and 2mbps up on my ADSL. NBN is due beginning of 2019 for us

They were putting in fibre in when labor was in power on the other side of the street.Now because the coalition in power we have been waiting years to get our side done for fibre to the node.

But from what i have been hearing about the nbn speeds at peak time they can take as long, as they want because we are getting better speed on telstra cable.

I'll let you know hopefully when mine gets activated in the next 4 weeks. I've signed up with Aussie Broadband on a 100 mbps plan. I'm about 400m from the node but the good thing with the ISP is that there is no contract, so if the speeds aren't reaching what I hoped for I can downgrade.