Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Major US & UK Transformers conventions

With the US TFCon now over for another year (a couple weekends ago), the 2019 event has been announced, and it isn't at the end of the year this time, nor is it in Chicago or eastern half of the country.
    Next year it will be really early - March 15th to 17th - and be in Los Angeles... which is good for Australians who have been thinking about doing a TFCon, or missed out on BotCon and would like to do the next best thing.
    It is also being hyped up as a 35th anniversary convention, by having some sort of Gen1 voice actor cast reunion... but yet to announce any confirmed guests or details.
    The fact that it is in Los Angeles, supports their claim that it will be a reunion of some kind, as many voice actors are located in LA, where a lot of the film studios and their recording studios are located.

fans from around the world will converge on the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel & Convention Center (2500 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505, USA) to participate in TFcon USA 2019; a 3-day colossal Transformers event to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Transformers franchise (March 15-17, 2019). The show will feature a myriad of guests, voice actors, artists, writers and toy designers that contributed to the Transformers universe since 1984. There will also be a variety of Q&A panels, autograph sessions, workshops and costume contests all weekend long.

Not only that, LA is the perfect destination for a foreign tourist, with themeparks and Hollywood studios to visit before or after the convention.

The location is about as far from the LAX airport as the Pasadena Convention Centre was (the location of four BotCons), so it might be worth looking at a rental car or see if there is a shuttle bus to the Hotel.
    Also, it looks like there is a really big sale on flights at Flight Centre at the moment (according to a TV ad I saw today), with return flights from East Coast Australia to LAX just costing $999. That's well below half price... but I don't know if it covers March next year.

For the record... I might end up going to this, but will need to think it over a bit first.
    Being at the start off the year, it doesn't give as much time to decide, plan, and save, as it would for the October ones (which would have given us an extra 7 months to plan and save up).

The first five Gen1 voice actor guests for next year's US TFCon have been announced...

Alan Oppenheimer - Beachcomber, Seaspray, Warpath, Powerglide.

Neil Ross - Bonecrusher, Hook, Slag, Sixshot, Springer.

Michael Bell - Prowl, Swoop, Sideswipe, Bombshell.

Paul Eiding - Perceptor, Quintesson.

Arthur Burghardt - Devastator.

Most of these are regulars on the Transformers Convention scene, but are still some small fry for a "Gen1" reunion... so expect the bigger names to be revealed towards the end of the guest announcements as they continue to build up hype for this big fan event.

Another two Gen1 cartoon guests announced for TFCon...

Morgan Lofting - Moonracer, Firestar

Michael Horton - Chip Chase

I really hope that all of these people end up being on one big panel, and it is filmed for public release... it could probably go for hours, and be full of character voices.
    (I also hope that the big names that are yet to be announced will include Cullen, Welker, Berger, Gilverzan, Burton and Blu)

This looks like an awesome convention for guests!
    I wish I had the time and budget to go, if the kids were a few years older I'd consider making it a whole family trip and take in the theme parks on the same trip.

maybe for the 40th anniversary con, if they have one...
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I'm back on the fence... they suddenly stopped announcing Gen1 Voice Actors as guests, and started announcing writers/artists... some of whom weren't involved in the original cartoon (or comic).

Jack Lawrence (IDW artist) - Flint Dille (Gen1 cartoon writer) - Alex Milne (IDW artist) - Donald Glut (Gen1 cartoon writer)
    I expected some non-VAs as guests, but the whole "reunion" gimmick was being hyped up to expect several more VAs, including some big names (which may yet be left until last).

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Flint Dille is awesome though.

Maybe they will get the writers to put together an original script for the voice actors to read?

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Flint Dille is awesome though.

Maybe they will get the writers to put together an original script for the voice actors to read?

The original writers and creators are indeed great guests, because their panels are often filled with stories or info that we've never heard about before.
    Bob Budiansky would be a good guest... he only had two BotCon appearances, and I missed one, so he would have a lot of interesting things to say (as the creator of much of Gen1 - characters, story concepts and comic outline).

Oddly enough, TFCon have announced another Voice Actor guest - Laurie Faso (Skydive, Divebomb, Rampage and Orion Pax)... so maybe they are not done yet with the Voice Actors.

They also have tickets on sale now, plus hotel reservations at the Marriott.
    Last edited by griffin; 30th November 2018 at 06:53 PM.

Some more voice actors have been announced...
    - Dan Gilverzan (Bumblebee/Goldbug, Hotspot, Skids, Snapdragon)
    - Jack Angel (Astrotrain, Cyclonus, Omega Supreme, Ramjet, Smokescreen)

- Melendy Britt (Alana - from the episode Sea Change)

Melendy voiced a really obscure character that was only in one episode (I had to look it up), but she voiced the original She-Ra, so people will probably be seeing her more for that role than her Transformers role.

The writer of the original Transformers Movie, Ron Friedman, will also be there as a guest.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Melendy voiced a really obscure character that was only in one episode (I had to look it up), but she voiced the original She-Ra, so people will probably be seeing her more for that role than her Transformers role..
    It doesn't hurt that they also have the voice of Skeletor, Man-At-Arms and Merman there also (Oppenheimer).

Speaking of, with the guests announced so far, we almost have all of the Voltron pilots too.

Peter Spellos (voice of Skybyte in the first RID cartoon series) will be a guest at the UK convention TFNation in August next year.