Thread: (MAR-2013) Generation 2 Era Cartoon - Comments and reviews

Default (MAR-2013) Generation 2 Era Cartoon - Comments and reviews

Generation two series

Did you watch the Cybernet Space Cube version of the Gen1 cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

Is it recommended viewing for others?

For me it was essentially a chance to record off the TV all those episodes that I had not recorded as a child and that the video store did not stock anymore. For me that was the big seller. This was in the days before internet downloads and DVD box-sets of course.

I didn't find the cybernet-spacecube thing as annoying as some, though I did miss the aubotbot/decepticon symbol coming towards you on the screen, flipping round then flying back again (Da na na na na... NA).

The opening sequence of Optimus fighting G2 Thrust I think it was wasn't great, I wish they had shown the Devestator and Dinobots one more.

Well it's definitely not essential viewing, but as I mentioned in the other thread, it was such a huge part of my childhood that I could never hate on it

Oh, an interesting little side-note. I went back and re-watched the first episode of G2, and at the start during narration they had little screens at the bottom which showed animation from the add's for the smaller Targetmasters (Scoop, Quickmix & Landfill) so technically those bots got into the cartoon!

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The G2 cartoon was my first exposure to the transformers cartoons and I loved seeing my favourite characters walking and talking. I thought the CG intro was pretty cool at the time, but it definitely hasn't aged as well as the original G1 intros. The cybernet space cube never bothered me, never having seen any of the original episodes, but the animated transitions were pretty annoying.

You can see just how overboard they went on this episode on youtube - they managed 10 transitions in the first 2 minutes after the intro! I think the G2 intro was longer than the original so I suspect they're concealing cuts to get the running time back down.