Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era characters - Best and Worst

Default (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era characters - Best and Worst

Robots in Disguise was a quick filler series for Hasbro, after the quick axing of Beast Machines. It only lasted a year, and was reworked from the Japanese series "Car Robots".

Details of this series can be read up here.

Who are your favourite characters in this era, and why?

Which characters were disappointing or under-used?

Who would you have liked to have seen more of in this Series?

I enjoyed RID... I also enjoyed how it didnt take itself to seriously.

Having met Steve Blum and having a few drinks with him I have to say that I like Dark Scream and W.A.R.S.

Some of my other favourite characters are Sky-Byte, Side Burn, Scourge, Ruination etc...

Sky-Byte is just awesome... I love his hikus and I love how he did his online personality test and he was a jelly fish, it still makes me laugh.
    Side-Burn the loveable larrikin
    Scourge and the Decepticons... Who doesn't like good guys turned bad.

Others that I didnt like as much just because they weren't used very well or very often are Skidz and Tow-Line.
    For me Skidz was a wasted character just wanting to race all the time I feel that they already had the slacker in Side Burn who would go of chasing red sports cars, while I found Tow-line to be pretty boring.

I also got annoyed that children (Koji in-particular) could control Fortress (Brave) Maximus however it was worth it because Brave Maximus was the first "Fortress Maximus" mold that I own.

I can't decide whether my favourite character is Omega Prime or Rail Racer.

Omega Prime because it's the first time Optimus Prime combined with another major character, Ultra Magnus.

Rail Racer because he was so unique (not only was a three-robot combiner rare at the time, but they all had unusual alt modes in the form of bullet trains).

Megatron, Scourge and Ruination were all interesting too.

What would make the characters more awesome (and to continue with the combiner theme of the series), would be if the Car Brothers could combine too.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post
    Rail Racer because he was so unique (not only was a three-robot combiner rare at the time, but they all had unusual alt modes in the form of bullet trains).
    Rail Racer is another awesome character... To bad Midnight Express... is how can I put this... strange

Tow-Line is my favourite character from Robots in Disguise. He was introduced in one of the most LOLful Transformers episodes of all time and is a precursor to Wreck-Gar in Animated - a wacky character just looking to find his role in the world and then do his job. He won't stand for illegal parking by anyone, even if it's by an Autobot. RiD was the first Transformers series to really flesh out the idea that Transformers had specific jobs and work ethics (something that Animated also did well.) The Build Team liked to build things. The Predacons and Decepticons were pretty much just two groups of workers who wanted to impress their boss. On the topic of which, Sky-Byte is empirically the best 'bad guy' in the series, and one of the most rounded characters in Transformers. Bonus points to Ultra Magnus for being - like Rattrap and Sentinel Prime - willing to be a jerk regardless of his allegiance.

Sky-Byte, Optimus, Scourge and Megatron.

Sky-byte goes without saying, Optimus was nice because he was quite a heroic type of Prime this time and I liked his Voice and VA. Scourge, coz he was cool and Megatron, I liked his voice too and he was a bit nuts.

Skybyte - Stupidity and comic relief

Scourge - A Bad ass Decepticon - love the way they wrote his inception into the story

Wedge - Young and ambitious

Towline, Skids, Spychangers - IMO they were written in to sell toys. I dont really care though the main cast was enough for me I feel.

No one springs to mind. I would of liked them to have made team bullet train a bit more of a tough guy as Railracer. Might be just me but from what I can remember he was a bit soft

- Sky-byte was a unique character
    - Optimus is always pretty cool
    - Rail Racer - very cool 3 way combiner made of trains

- Ruination - just couldn't get over they had just redone the Combaticon toys
    - Sideburn always irritated me to be honest

- Would have to watch more of the cartoon to give a useful answer here

Gelshark. What's not to love? Okay, the toy's kinda disappointing, but it was aesthetically an improvement over TM2 Cybershark. :/

God Magnus. I didn't like how he was such a douche all the time. Also Brave Maximus... powered by the love of children? Really?

Heinlad.

I enjoyed Scourge being more than a black Prime repaint, he was a tough nut to crack and willing to do whatever he needed to to try and dethrone Megatron. also loved the way he was wiped out by Galvatron.

Probably in the minority but I liked Sideburn and his love for red sports cars. While I didnt care much for the squishie that had her life ruined by his obsession, it was (and I believe still is) a unique character trait/flaw.

Certainly not under-used but I thought the Predacons always got the raw end of the deal and were never a threat, they were more there for comic relief, again something new and different in the franchise.

More of the Rail Racer combiner team actually doing stuff and taking the Predacons/Decepticons down.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)