Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Govt will block overseas site not collecting gst

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Cant read the link it is behind a paywall.
    One second, I'll try to archive my link as well as the former one...

Cant seem to archive the AFR one but SMH did an article as well so I archived that.
    "eBay threatens to block Australian shoppers over GST" April 18th, 2017 http://archive.is/IaXL1

Previous article "eBay could shut down or reduce sales in Australia if GST is applied to importers" March 24th, 2017 http://archive.is/kg4Fb

http://www.afr.com/news/ebay-may-geo...0170412-gvj9pr

Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman is one of the longest proponents of this idea.

Now unlike in 2009 where this proposal was dropped (cause it was reviewed and the report then stated that enforcement costs would outweigh revenues)

It is ridiculous to think that you could not buy a $50 USD toy from an O/S eBay seller cause of a GST policy/law here in AUS.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Yep, it's disgusting to think that all this is because of some old dinosaur that would rather force this country into isolation then consider lowering his stores prices to something near reasonable. The pathetic thing is he doesn't realize that people STILL wont shop at Hardly Normal when we have other local alternatives like JB Hi-Fi or The Good Guys who undercut him as well. All Gerry is doing is increasing peoples loathing for his brand, if that's possible

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Yep, it's disgusting to think that all this is because of some old dinosaur that would rather force this country into isolation then consider lowering his stores prices to something near reasonable. The pathetic thing is he doesn't realize that people STILL wont shop at Hardly Normal when we have other local alternatives like JB Hi-Fi or The Good Guys who undercut him as well. All Gerry is doing is increasing peoples loathing for his brand, if that's possible
    Sadly there are more old people in this country than any other demographic and they are creatures of habit and a very narrow scope. They have been spending 300%+ on items for 40 years at Harvey Norman and they will continue doing so keeping the old dinosaur from extinction and still influential. The problem that he has is that as a modern corporate body, they need to grow their business and he is having difficulty doing so given his sizeable but still limited customer base.

Foxtel are very similar too, almost every old person I know (60+) has a $120+ monthly subscription to them because they don't know any better.

I can't read either of those recently linked articles as they are blocked for me but I have a question or 3.

How does it affect individuals sending stuff to OZ?

Say I wanted to send our beloved Trev a box of Transformers goodness from here in Hong Kong and he paid me for it. Would that be taxed as a transaction or would it be let through?

If individuals send a "gift" from overseas does that still incur the GST?

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    I can't read either of those recently linked articles as they are blocked for me but I have a question or 3.

How does it affect individuals sending stuff to OZ?

Say I wanted to send our beloved Trev a box of Transformers goodness from here in Hong Kong and he paid me for it. Would that be taxed as a transaction or would it be let through?

If individuals send a "gift" from overseas does that still incur the GST?
    It would only be taxed if above $1000 in value. This is for online transactions such as stores.

Remember when the stuffed shirts suggested lowering the GST-free threshold on posted items? This sounds like more of the same.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Just VPN around the blockage... good luck blocking the internet

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Remember when the stuffed shirts suggested lowering the GST-free threshold on posted items? This sounds like more of the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    Just VPN around the blockage... good luck blocking the internet
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Thanks, today has been a really bad day and I needed to read something like that