Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Govt will block overseas site not collecting gst

Ok so the report was tabled this evening and here is the summary:

1. Liberals support the passing of the Bill but recommend not to be implemented until 1 July 2018.
    2. Labor supports the concept of taxing low value items in principle but does not support the Bill.
    3. Xenophon has reserved his position pending further discussions with stakeholders.

At the very least it seems this won't come in for another year and may not get passed at all - well in its current form anyway.
    Last edited by Raider; 9th May 2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    but recommend not to be implemented untl 1 July 2018.
    The amount of people that think it's trivial for a company to implement a feature, put out a patch or whatever is ridiculous. A year to implement is the least the government should give.

1. Liberals support the passing of the Bill but recommend not to be implemented until 1 July 2018.
    2. Labor supports the concept of taxing low value items in principle but does not support the Bill.
    3. Xenophon has reserved his position pending further discussions with stakeholders.

At the very least it seems this won't come in for another year and may not get passed at all - well in its current form anyway.
    Excellent news
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Glad I didn't cancel my Tak/Tom Trypticon

For those interested the full report is here.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

*Claps and whistles*

Another whole year, better cram in what I can't get here before that happens!

"Online shoppers get 12-month GST reprieve"

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/o...0170619-gwtwzg

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    "Online shoppers get 12-month GST reprieve"

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/o...0170619-gwtwzg
    I like the sound of the title but it won't let me see the article.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I can't read the article either but it sounds terrible to me. It alludes that after 12 months, they will start charging GST on online purchases from overseas. Hope that is incorrect.

I read a similar article on another site. Basically Liberal and Labor both want to charge gst on all overseas purchases, but decided it would be impossible to implement before next month, so they have another year to work that out.
    Also, the increasingly irrelevant and tone deaf dinosaur Gerry Harvey had a sook about the delay, complaining that people like eBay now had more time to lobby against lowering the gst threshold and he wants the politicians to just ignore them.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2