Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone is happily/unhappily on NBN?

NBN is crap

NBN needs protection if it is to make a profit: CEO Bill Morrow

The national broadband network is losing money with each typical connection it makes and believes that unless it is protected from competition due to data delivered by ultrafast mobile broadband it will never make a profit.

The company's concerns have been detailed by chief executive Bill Morrow in an exclusive interview ahead of a Four Corners report on Monday that it fears will suggest "the whole thing is a mess".

"We collect about $43 per month from retail service providers for each home they sell into," Mr Morrow said. "In order to recover costs we need $52."

"We, NBN and the board, are betting that future applications are going to bring more value into homes, that they are going to need more bandwidth or more data and that the retail service providers will pay us more."

RELATED ARTICLES
    NBN speaks out, says under Labor connections cost it up to $40,000
    Complaints peak with 160 per cent rise driven by NBN woes: Ombudsman report
    "It's a bet we've taken. If it doesn't come together, we've got a problem."

Asked whether NBN could withstand competition from data delivered by new ultrafast 5G networks that didn't need connections to houses, Mr Morrow said: "Forget about 5G for a moment, even the antenna technology using 4G is a viable alternative to NBN where the towers are already up."

"Think about the NBN business model. The only reason we are able to get connections into those 2 million difficult-to-wire homes that are cost prohibitive is because we are taking margin from low-cost city areas. As soon as competitors eat into these margins through enhanced antenna technology, we've got a problem."

Fixed-line competitors to the NBN will soon have to pay a levy beginning at $7.09 a month to help subsidise delivery to hard-to-connect customers.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...22-gz5p87.html
    At present, the NBN is required to make a profit.
    "The problem is the levy excludes wireless, even where people never take the modem outside of the house," Mr Morrow said. "It's a threat that wasn't envisaged by this government or the last when the business plans were put together."

Conceding that a levy on mobile broadband would be unpopular, Mr Morrow said: "Things are going to have to happen. The government has two options: to regulate to protect this model, or to realise that the NBN won't have the finances it thought and might require some off-budget monies to go in to make it happen."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...22-gz5p87.html

NBN Co chief executive Bill Morrow has outlined the company's concerns. Photo: Daniel Munoz

At the moment the NBN is required to make a profit, repaying government loans and returning the government's investment through dividends.

"I think government moves are going to be inevitable," Mr Morrow said. "It all depends on how serious this competitive threat is, but being an old wireless guy I can guarantee you I would have had my team seriously looking at this."

Fixed-line competitors to the NBN will soon have to pay a levy beginning at $7.09 a month.

In April, internet service provider TPG spent $1.3 billion on wireless spectrum in what was widely interpreted to be a move into mobile data. Telstra, Optus and Vodafone already have substantial mobile data networks.

Asked how much subsidy the NBN would need if it wasn't protected from competition, Mr Morrow said it was too early to predict how much mobile competition would eat into its margins.

Asked whether NBN would ever make the profit required of it even with protection from competition, Mr Morrow said he wouldn't speculate.

"It's too early. I've been around the telco industry for 40 years and things have ebbed and flowed quite a bit. Companies have crashed and burned and later emerged as super-valuable – it's too premature to think about."

What should be your speed to prevent buffering? NBN yes but on ADSL2 speeds

So a video of Pauline Hanson been interviewed by press today was posted by the ABC on the Windows 10 MSN News app.

I was blown away by the fact she actually seems to have a really good handle on the NBN. She knows it needs to be upgraded to FTTP for everyone and that the government should just eat the cost. Although she doesn't say who is to blame when asked by the journalist you can tell that she is throwing Abbott/Turnbull under the bus for changing it from FTTP to FTTN.

There is still no way I want her in parliament with all her other BS, but at least that's one more person in parliament that can fight this FTTN no faster than DSL crap.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So a video of Pauline Hanson been interviewed by press today was posted by the ABC on the Windows 10 MSN News app.

I was blown away by the fact she actually seems to have a really good handle on the NBN. She knows it needs to be upgraded to FTTP for everyone and that the government should just eat the cost. Although she doesn't say who is to blame when asked by the journalist you can tell that she is throwing Abbott/Turnbull under the bus for changing it from FTTP to FTTN.

There is still no way I want her in parliament with all her other BS, but at least that's one more person in parliament that can fight this FTTN no faster than DSL crap.
    We are stuck with her in the senate at our expense so she may as well contribute something positive.

I am on NBN now. It's all good and fast move over. 40Mbps/10Mbps, while I am on 50Mbps/20Mbps plan.

Warcraft latency is down to 19ms. I can't wait to smash Alliance's a**.

I am either 700m or 1.2k away from node.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Really? Politicians who are from non lawyer backgrounds tend to know what's actually going on and in the details.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

The unfortunate thing is, no matter what happens - fix or subsidise - it's going to cost the government (which is us taxpayers) millions... money that will either be taken from more important things or higher taxes, to cover it. Neither of which will have an impact on those well-paid politicians, so they won't care which option they take.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The unfortunate thing is, no matter what happens - fix or subsidise - it's going to cost the government (which is us taxpayers) millions... money that will either be taken from more important things or higher taxes, to cover it. Neither of which will have an impact on those well-paid politicians, so they won't care which option they take.
    And what they don't see is it's a generational investment. They're treating it like a term debt. It doesn't matter if the debt goes over a couple of generations, the benefit will always be there.

But now it doesn't matter, as because they didn't stick to the original all fibre plan, mobile will make this whole network, (aside from the back end), totally useless. Mobile is still just beginning. It's going to surpass this train wreck in no time, and everyone will be on mobile, not fixed line. Who's going to pay the several hundred $ hook up in a new estate build? Many fewer people will. There will be no lines to homes in the near future.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    NBN is crap

NBN needs protection if it is to make a profit: CEO Bill Morrow
    Listening to Bill Morrow is the first mistake. Seriously, he is trying to protect a hamstrung business that needs protecting due to inferior technology. Everything about the current NBN model is short-sighted.

FTTP can never be beat. The NBN is currently capped at 100/40 for home use but that is NOWHERE near the max capacity of fibre technology. The return on investment of FTTP were to be reaped in the long-term but with all this copper and node crap being used to build the network now, the speeds are affected and the ongoing maintenance is going to delay any return.

The smartest thing this government did was keep the name "NBN" so it looks like the NBN (even the orignal plan) was doomed from the start.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Someone iknow suggested they should of brought the mobile phone/internet network then upgrade the towers to 5g and connect optic fibre to the towers.
    But i do not think the mobile phone companies are going to like that.