Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone is happily/unhappily on NBN?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The unfortunate thing is, no matter what happens - fix or subsidise - it's going to cost the government (which is us taxpayers) millions... money that will either be taken from more important things or higher taxes, to cover it. Neither of which will have an impact on those well-paid politicians, so they won't care which option they take.
    Not all politicians. Some (fewer and fewer it seems) are motivated by a broad conception of the national interest.

More unfortunate is the fact that the mess that is the NBN is the greatest infrastructure scandal of my lifetime. It had the potential to transform both business and everyday life in ways that could have benefited regional Australia immensley.

Now it is a half-assed piece of rubbish, run by the only telecommunications company board in the world who saw a future in degraded copper so bright and glorious Telstra couldn't believe their luck!

There are a whole host of factors that contribute to this - our degraded press culture, where highly paid "journalists" simply churn out whatever press release is whispered to them by one or another politician or lobby group, and lacked the ability to properly inform voters of the issues at stake.

Cosy Ignorance - I cannot believe the number of people I spoke to who would confidently state that they couldn't understand why it wouldn't be better for wireless, or some other half baked technology. What was worse is the 100% unwarranted confidence, given they did not have any knowledge or conducted even cursory research.

The inability to see the positive impacts the NBN would have had at a broad level, even if the individual concerned might not need it. The possibilities for tele-medicine in regional areas, real-time university lectures delivered to students in regional areas, the ability for a special effects business in Tasmania to win work in Hollywood because they can finally upload their work to the Cloud at the speeds required.

The individuals involved in this debacle, in a just world, would be hounded out of public life, humiliated and ashamed and regarded with complete disgust by a populace whose interests they sold out.

As you can tell this is a topic I am somewhat passionate about....

Best regards
    Catcon
    Catcon: sleeper agent of evil

There seems to be some major progress getting made towards the NBN being turned on my area. I've seen new cables being run through the existing conduits by crews and a new pillar was just installed around the corner from me yesterday evening.

Now I've just got to hope the job is being done correctly and not half assed.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    There seems to be some major progress getting made towards the NBN being turned on my area. I've seen new cables being run through the existing conduits by crews and a new pillar was just installed around the corner from me yesterday evening.

Now I've just got to hope the job is being done correctly and not half assed.
    Lol. It was 4 months between them installing the fibre for me and actually switching it on.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Someone iknow suggested they should of brought the mobile phone/internet network then upgrade the towers to 5g and connect optic fibre to the towers.
    But i do not think the mobile phone companies are going to like that.
    I think mobile networks suffer from too many concurrent users far more than physical connection do but to the remote places the NBN is actually delivered via wifi.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

We are basically buggered. NBN was our chance and as a nation we blew it.

Yeah we can blame politicians but as citizens, we also have a bit of blame since we keep voting for the same loosers to the point that there are now only to viable parties of them that can make government. Every election, you just vote for a different shade of self serving incompetence.

Yeah, Labour had a much better plan but it's government was so chaotic that they were never able to follow it through. Plus the plan wasn't that great either, just a lot better than the current crap.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    We are basically buggered. NBN was our chance and as a nation we blew it.

Yeah we can blame politicians but as citizens, we also have a bit of blame since we keep voting for the same loosers to the point that there are now only to viable parties of them that can make government. Every election, you just vote for a different shade of self serving incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yeah, Labour had a much better plan but it's government was so chaotic that they were never able to follow it through. Plus the plan wasn't that great either, just a lot better than the current crap.
    The issue with Labor's plan was more on the business side. They had the right technology and network design, but making it so NBN had to turn a profit resulted in additional charges for the RSPs who either pass it on or don't spend enough on it.

Chorus in NZ has a different business model and as a result the offerings there are a lot better.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Telstra is to compensate 42,000 customers by the ACCC. Other providers will follow.

Well my NBN Node has been installed about 10 meters away from the pillar that was previously installed, only about 200 to 250 meters in total distance from my house. If the installation job is done correctly I should get pretty good speed.

Now the waiting is going to be even worse, I know they've installed fiber, a pillar and a node and just need to get off their lazy behinds and finish the job off.

Default choose the small ISP

If you are not happy with your ISP, then my tip is always go for the small company who has no oversea phone centre and pretty good productreview ratings.

I was with Optus when change plan, it was 3 months no Internet. Then I switch to Mate Communications, full local support team, fast and no problem. They only do Telstra network tough.

Whoever you choose, embrace those small names you never heard of.

I guess I'm lucky I'm on Telstra for the time being. My two week old 8tb external hard drive that had all my Xbox One X games on it died and now I have to redownload about 5tb of games minus the ones I actually have on disk that don't have a massive update to download.

Fortunately I just got confirmation from Telstra's Australian based support team that they are fine with downloading 5tb of Xbox One games on their unlimited
    ADSL service (I probably can't even download that much in a single billing cycle anyway). But I bet they would take a different view if it was 5tb of bittorrent traffic.

If all goes well I'll hopefully have everything redownloaded before I get the NBN and get switched over to Aussie Broadband who currently don't have unlimited data, which I'm fine with because unlimited data ISP's are terrible in this country.