Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 30th May 2018, 07:28 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
Ours street is due by September this year but, the bad news is its hfc.
HFC?
Old 30th May 2018, 07:29 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
Aussie Broadband. Unlike most nbn providers they actually buy enough CVC that you don't get slowdown in peak periods. Also their call centre is in Australia.
Thanks will look into them! Hate that they dont buy enough for the end user *shakes fist*
Old 30th May 2018, 12:05 PM
Rank 8 - Multi-Section Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
HFC?
Hybrid fiber-coaxial cable. Its the old Telstra/Foxtel/Optus network. They use it in some areas to deliver the NBN.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:17 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Well following on from my post back in October, I switched to FTTN NBN and went from 6mbps on ADSL to a pathetic 14mbps on NBN. I must live even further from the node than I realised. I downgraded my plan straightaway with Aussie Broadband.

The good news is that I'm building a house in a new estate which has FTTP so no more crappy internet by next year.

Meanwhile my brother in Singapore is getting 940mbps at home, and would actually be faster if his modem wasn't restricted by the 1gbps port.
Old 30th May 2018, 10:36 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
Well following on from my post back in October, I switched to FTTN NBN and went from 6mbps on ADSL to a pathetic 14mbps on NBN. I must live even further from the node than I realised. I downgraded my plan straightaway with Aussie Broadband.

The good news is that I'm building a house in a new estate which has FTTP so no more crappy internet by next year.

Meanwhile my brother in Singapore is getting 940mbps at home, and would actually be faster if his modem wasn't restricted by the 1gbps port.
I will always be the first to line up and shit on the government for what they have done to the NBN, but Singapore is hardly a fair comparison.
Old 5th June 2018, 05:31 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

No bloody Internet basically all day today. Third time it's been out in a week.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:11 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Here is a good one

Apparently the NBN chief is blaming gamers for clogging up the NBN.

That's like saying the roads would be less congested if they didn't have any drivers on them. I mean seriously? The system hasn't even finished being implemented yet and there are excuses being made as to why it's underperforming. imagine how bad it's going to be when everyone is using it and more people are playing online games and using streaming services for their TV.

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)
Old 5th June 2018, 06:41 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

To be fair on the guy he's only blaming gamers for the problems with fixed wireless not FTTN, FTTC, HFC or FTTP. /sarcasm

As much of a joke as FTTN is, fixed wireless is an even bigger joke.

My phone on Telstra's 4G network maxes out the local towers modem at a little over 200mbps down (it could go up to 1gbps but the local tower is not setup for it), yet nbn co can't even get my friend 20 down on his fixed wireless nbn. At least it's better for him than his ADSL was.
Old 5th June 2018, 08:14 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Due to life too busy, I hardly ever download or game, so I only had youtube. For me it did the job as my ADSL and I save about $20 because there is no need of a phone line and my speeds were acceptable.

I cant say the same for those who require the faster speeds.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:08 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

The thing is "gaming" doesn't use that much data. It's the download of the client that uses the most data, and most people just download a game client once and then it sits on their hard drive for years. Patches do add up but the vast majority of them are small.

Streaming video on the other hand actually uses a lot of data constantly. If I had to make a political scapegoat of a particular demographic that skews younger like he did I'd blame video usage. Especially since Netflix alone is known to have consumed 37% of North American internet bandwidth in 2015.

My friend on fixed wireless is a content creator, which means he uploads 4k video to YouTube daily. I bet he is the type of person this guy really wants deprioritized on the nbn.