Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Wizards of the Coast Transformers card game

Default Wizards of the Coast Transformers card game

After Hasbro acquired Wizards of the Coast gaming company about 20 years ago, they've finally decided to apply it to one of their own biggest toy Brands - Transformers.

The official announcement hasn't been made yet, but a magazine article says that it should be out around September/October 2018.

Some sample images and details can be seen here.

The article features an interview with Wizards Of The Coast President Chris Cocks who revealed plans for a brand new Transformers themed next fall.
    The game hasn’t been formally announced yet, but Cocks says it’s a title aimed both at young teens and the collector and toy audience. It will come out in September or October. “We think Transformers are cool and the game has interesting, unique mechanics,” he says. “All cards are two-sided, over-sized and feel bigger, weightier in your hand.” Cocks says the game has a relatively light learning curve, but a lot of depth. “It should take one or two times to understand how to play,” he says.
    The game, which has a unique rule set, is built around two decks. One of the decks is a hero deck and the other is a powers and abilities deck used to “amp up heroes.” The strategy around play, he says, is to choose the right hero with the right abilities and powers. They’re also considering making a digital version of the game, once it launches, depending on how it is received. “Transformers will be brand new to Wizards.”
    Last edited by griffin; 18th September 2018 at 06:15 PM.

Pretty sure the art for those samples was already used in the mobile game Transformers Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    Pretty sure the art for those samples was already used in the mobile game Transformers Legends.
    It's possible that art was recycled for this game, or just recycled for this article... or just done by the same team/company that did the Legends art, giving a similar appearance.

The art is absolutely recycled.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TFLegendsApp-Megatron.jpg

The article makes it clear that the art is from the Wizards game, so I guess Hasbro has run out of artist???

Why not recycle the art? Only the game players saw it and many players gave up on the game before it finishes. And it's good art. I would be happy if they released a set of trading cards without the gameplay just of the art.

Meanwhile it's taken a long time for a TF CCG to really come along. I remember the fan games from like 20 years ago, one using playing cards as a base. I even have sketches of cards I was coming up with (along the lines of Magic and the SW CCG) back in the late 90s!

FatalityPitt Guest

Once upon a time I used to play Magic The Gathering. I think I might buy a pre-constructed deck when the game comes out and play a few casual games to see what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Why not recycle the art? Only the game players saw it and many players gave up on the game before it finishes. And it's good art. I would be happy if they released a set of trading cards without the gameplay just of the art
    I emailed the game company back when the app was going, asking if the art would be released as normal cards but never got a response. However some of the cards from the Combiner Wars toy cards used that same art. Makes sense they would reuse it again as a lot of it’s quite good.

I feel the same - I’d like a set of the cards I could put in a collectors album rather than play a game with.

Speaking of which, I was kinda surprised I had that many TF cards I almost filled the TF card album that got released a few months ago. Given they are going to do cards with POTP toys I might have to buy a second and they ain’t real cheap.

bowspearer Guest

The art looks interesting, but no way in hell would I buy any online card packs if I do collect it. WOTC clearly regard digital packs as an online game subscription and their T&C, as evidenced by the whole recent MTG Jeremy Hamby debacle, are problematic because, as Know Your Meme User OgreOnAStick put it:

For me, it is about WOTC overreach creating a precedent that allows them to police behaviour outside their area of influence and remove peoples ability to participate in a hobby for completely unrelated reasons.

I agree with the comments about it being okay to have the recycled art, because I too wouldn't mind collecting these for the art (like regular collector cards)... and maybe play it once or twice.
    Hopefully they don't have too much of it being released as exclusives or limited release... like, having to buy a whole heap of duplicates just to get the really nice looking cards.

While it would be nice ti have a decent TF card or board game, I refuse to buy into a collectible card game again, they are too much of a money sink, and I already have collecting toys, models and games already. CCG's are that one extra line I don't want to cross.