Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberverse cartoon first clip

Default Cyberverse cartoon first clip

The Cyberverse cartoon is the next series of animation for Transformers, and with its imminent release on western TV screens, Cartoon Network has posted up a 2 minute video clip on youtube.
    We see Windblade, Bumblebee and Thundercracker fighting in the desert, and it looks like Bumblebee has lost his memory (and a lot less serious than in RID... if this is supposed to be in the same universe).

I can feel the fan boy rage already.

It’s not a good clip for anyone over the age of about 4...

We could play a lengthy game of “media trope bingo”, silent antagonist, female with a sword who fights worse with it, last second stopping of heroine getting harmed by hero, hero gets lucky shot in, but only paralyses, protagonists take eye off villain for no logical reason, bad jokes, dumb, obnoxious main protagonist, whiny female lead, oh and MEMORY LOSS!

I know we are not the target audience but wow that was not a strong first look. Prime and Animated both had better teaser clips.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Sad that the devolution that would follow the brilliant Animated series wasn't just going to be in the toylines but also in the cartoons.

What’s the rule regarding spoilers discussing this? Would like to comment but don’t wanna spoil it for anyone else

In lieu of anything specific, the tone and animation look like they could have some appeal, but I reckon some movieverse concepts could have been left behind

>Bumblebee doesn't speak, instead he talks through the radio like the live action films.

Am I the only one sick of this? Already lost any interest I had in this show after hearing that.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

(since others have mentioned what happens in the clip I'm guessing there is no 'spoiler' rule )

*I think this is showing how much the cartoon is going to support the movie since they have reintroduced Bumblebee talking through the radio. The powers that be obviously think you can't have two different media with Bbee in it where one talks and the other doesn't. Personally I would have liked to see the concept binned after all these years.

*One wonders if there is a potential spoiler for the movie in this. Bbee has amnesia and doesn't know where he is or who he is. Is this what Bbee is going to be like in the prequel flick? Quite possibly.

*I don't really like the animation style, but then I didn't like the animation style of the Prime teaser clip when it first came out for that cartoon so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I will say Bbee looks better than he did in RID, I never liked his big-chinned look in that cartoon.

*None of the bots look very powerful. I mean Thundercracker is a giant robot that turns into a fighter jet and one of the elite Seeker warriors, yet his lanky appearance makes him look like someone that would have constantly been beaten up in the cyber-schoolyard.

*Why doesn't Cracker use his weapons or a sonic boom during the fight? Windblade uses her blade, why doesn't he try to blast her when he has a gun on each arm? Is he being chivalrous? Considering he flew down and kicked a femmebot in the gut I doubt it - I think its just not a lot of thought was put in and he is there just to further the little plot - I mean he doesn't even speak!

*Overall I'd say that I'm underwhelmed by the clip, and given the poor toys associated with the Cyberverse line I'm not filled with hope. So I am really hoping I end up being pleasantly surprised by it turning out to be good.

Some people still aren't fans of the Prime designs -- no noses and caterpillar eyebrows with huge chins ... that whole Cartoon Network x Bayformers aesthetic. I get it. But it's not the same as animation quality. Regardless of what you think about Prime's designs, it was a very well animated show.

And even though we all love G1's designs, we know that the animation quality in the G1 cartoon varied wildly e.g. Both Toei and Akom followed the same Floro Dery Sunbow designs, but we know that the animation quality greatly differed. And then even more so in TFTM with its movie budget.

Transformers Prime had consistently excellent animation quality. Even the cheaper flashback sequences that was done through painted stills were still really well done. The first flashback scene done in that style was done so because Polygon had lost a third of its staff after the extremely devastating 2011 Tohoku earthquake & tsunami disaster (from which that region still hasn't yet fully recovered ). But Hasbro Studios was so impressed that they chose to make all future flashback scenes animated in the same style to maintain continuity in visual narrative.

RID must've had a smaller budget than Prime since they went with the relatively cheaper option of cel-shaded CG animation. But for it was, the animation quality was decent. Nowhere near as good as Prime, but it was okay and not terrible. But the animation we're seeing in Cyberverse looks awful -- it looks like some low budget Flash animation. I would prefer good old fashion hand-drawn cel animation over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    >Bumblebee doesn't speak, instead he talks through the radio like the live action films.

Am I the only one sick of this? Already lost any interest I had in this show after hearing that.
    ^100% agree. Although it's better than Bumblebee speaking through digital farts as he did throughout most of TF Prime. That was banally stupid. But it's definitely a big step backwards considering that Bumblebee had his voice restored by the end of TF Prime Beast Hunters and he spoke throughout all of RID. Please don't tell me that he "forgot" that he can talk, cos that's just really dumb. Remember how Beast Machines started off with the Maximals forgetting how to transform and they had to relearn how to do it? (especially Rattrap) It was stupid then and is stupid now!

And... why do they blink?!?
    Okay, if you want them to blink then do what Beast Wars did and have their optic light levels dim and brighten. Why would robots need eyelids?!? It just feels like they're further talking down to the audience by adding this in. It's not necessary! Or if you're going to make them blink, give them more defined looking robotic eyelids. Cos that's what Rescue Bots does, and that's aimed at a younger audience! Actually, the animation quality in Rescue Bots is much better than Cyberverse, and the designs don't feel as condescending either. Rescue Bots actually has a pretty good story that's driven by character development. The main difference is that it doesn't have violent conflict -- they're Rescue Bots so each episode's complication is based on saving people as opposed to doing combat. Rescue Bots is actually better written than Bayformers. It has characters!

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

^I think the blinkers are windshield wipers LOL

...but yeah I wasn't feeling it, rescues bots would have fit in just as well for whoever the target audience of cyberverse was going for

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

*I think this is showing how much the cartoon is going to support the movie since they have reintroduced Bumblebee talking through the radio. The powers that be obviously think you can't have two different media with Bbee in it where one talks and the other doesn't. Personally I would have liked to see the concept binned after all these years.

*One wonders if there is a potential spoiler for the movie in this. Bbee has amnesia and doesn't know where he is or who he is. Is this what Bbee is going to be like in the prequel flick? Quite possibly.

This also could be why Windblade is asking Bbee if he knows where the Allspark is. Since the upcoming movie is a prequel, it stands to reason they haven't found the Allspark yet. So could be once again similar themes spread across both the new cartoon and new flick, especially since both are aimed at audiences younger than they usually are so will be viewed by a lot of kids new to the franchise. Of course, I'm not suggesting the movie and cartoon are set in the same continuity (all the cartoon characters are the right colours for a start )

Ah? Well? WTF?