Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberverse cartoon first clip

I think you guys are getting a bit carried away, it's a small amount of footage.
    perhaps it's reflective of what the 'general populace' is responding to these days. look at the outrage over the other recent 80's property animated show previews. it's similar: simplification, cutification, 'kidification' of the old property.

maybe the market research is leading them there.

I'm not saying it's good, but keep in mind that many transformers shows have had lots of issues over the years. from animation, design style/choices. If this loses a lot of customers, I'm sure it will be canned quickly and replaced with something different again.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I think you guys are getting a bit carried away, it's a small amount of footage.
    Bwah haha! Very true and guilty as charged

But let’s face it, if we were to stop fans needlessly overanalysing every tiny bit of test footage and how it could possibly relate to toylines, overall branding etc etc etc we might as well shut down Ozformers and all the other fansites and, you know, get on with our lives and worry about stuff that is actually meaningful.

And that is a scary friggin thought!

I showed it to my 3 1/2 year old and asked him what he thought - all he wanted to point out was that there was a Teen Titans Go! ad on the side banner.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I showed it to my 3 1/2 year old and asked him what he thought - all he wanted to point out was that there was a Teen Titans Go! ad on the side banner.
    That show is my sons favourite show at the moment too

I gotta admit - it’s bloody funny! And it caters to all ages with its popculture references, from rollerblades from the 90s to music from the 80s, and even old sitcom references going back to Gillian’s and Fantasy Island

I was typing a reply to this thread but it ended up being focused on the toys instead of the show, so I posted it here instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    That show is my sons favourite show at the moment too

I gotta admit - it’s bloody funny! And it caters to all ages with its popculture references, from rollerblades from the 90s to music from the 80s, and even old sitcom references going back to Gillian’s and Fantasy Island
    I love it too. There’s a feature film coming out soon that I’m dying to take my boys to. Despite the film getting good reviews, there’s apparently a heap of fanboy whining because it’s not enough like the Teen Titans cartoon of the early-mid noughts.

TF fans would never be like that.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

At the end of the day, the best and really only way for Cyberverse to silence its critics is to produce something GOOD. Just look at what happened when Beast Wars debuted. It was immediately met with virulent fan outrage (TRUKK NOT MUNKY!). I remember being part of online groups like BWADL (Beast Wars Anti-Defamation League) where we would be writing copious numbers of online essays in defence of Beast Wars because the fan hate was that strong.

Never heard of BWADL? It's because the group didn't last long. Because after only a few months more and more Transformers fans could see the quality of the toys and the show for themselves and themselves soon became fans of Beast Wars. Sure, there's always been a number of haters, but they soon became the silent minority as the overwhelming majority of fans became Beast Wars lovers. And arguably the reverse happened with Bayformers. When the first movie came out, loads of people loved it (and it remains the favourite of the live action films for most fans). Critics at the time were a silent minority. But with each successive sequel, the critics became more and more numerous, and supporters soon shifted to becoming the minority as the movies became harder and harder to defend as pieces of film literature. And some of the toys became harder to defend as they were based on the relatively kibble-free CGI models from AOE and TLK.

And the same applies for Travis Knight's Bumblebee movie. Fans appear to split down the middle with this, with jaded Bayformers audiences already hating it because it's in the same cinematic universe as Bayformers, whereas others are willing to keep a more open mind because it's a new (albeit novice) director. But the only way for Knight to silence his critics is to release a good movie, and Hasbro will silence its critics on the Bumblebee movie toys by releasing good figures.

Whenever I've expressed wariness over a Bayformers film before its release people tell me that I can't judge it since it hasn't come out yet. And I always say that I dare Michael Bay to prove me wrong. He hasn't done so yet. Nostalgia Critic's "Not Review" of The Last Knight was very telling, where he basically predicted the plot of that film with 90% accuracy months before its release (demonstrating how mundanely predictable Bayformers films are). And I'll issue the same challenge to Cyberverse too. Prove me wrong. I double dare you. I will be glad to be proven wrong here. And it's happened before. I walked into Rescue Bots expecting it to be rubbish (especially after the awful Go-Go-Go-Bots (aka Transformers Big Adventures) cartoon *shudder*). But much to my pleasant surprise, it's actually a really good series given its target audience! And now I'm an advocate for Rescue Bots. Just as Beast Wars converted its critics to advocates. So go ahead, Cyberverse. Convert me from a critic to an advocate. DO EET!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Bwah haha! Very true and guilty as charged

But let’s face it, if we were to stop fans needlessly overanalysing every tiny bit of test footage and how it could possibly relate to toylines, overall branding etc etc etc we might as well shut down Ozformers and all the other fansites and, you know, get on with our lives and worry about stuff that is actually meaningful.

And that is a scary friggin thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I love it too. There’s a feature film coming out soon that I’m dying to take my boys to. Despite the film getting good reviews, there’s apparently a heap of fanboy whining because it’s not enough like the Teen Titans cartoon of the early-mid noughts.

TF fans would never be like that.
    Teen Titans Go is a brilliant show. But if you ever wanted an example of a show that has garnered massive rage from the adult man child fan base of those characters, then look no further. I mean, the show makes jokes about how it’s so hated.

I must admit, the clip didn’t impress me. But then, the first half season of any new TF show is typically mediocre. It takes the makers time to find their feet.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    But then, the first half season of any new TF show is typically mediocre. It takes the makers time to find their feet.
    Except for G1 and Beast Wars which roped audiences in from the get go.

"Prime told me there'd be days like this."
    "And you didn't believe him?"
    "I do now!"

- More Than Meets The Eye, Part 1

"Attention Maximals, my name is Dinobot. I have left the Predacons to join your group, as leader."
    "What? Did I hear the word 'leader'?"
    "This guy's got bearings of chrome steel."

Beast Wars, Part 1

I don't mind the conceptual aesthetic of the characters in this cartoon; definitely an improvement on RID where the Autobot designs were horrible. It kind of looks like a step up from Rescue Bots but in that similar style.

However like others I'm really sick of Bumblebee using his radio. I don't mind what he looks like or transforms into but give him that childish naivety with his own voice like he had in G1 so kids CAN connect with his character, and preferably not the wannabe leader voice that was forced out in RID.

I don't mind having Windblade either as it encourages girls to enjoy the show too and I do kind of like that the fight kept her mostly as an equal to Thundercracker although the mention of him not using his special abilities does make me go hmm.

I think in recent times Transformers Prime was so good with its animation and incredible backgrounds that anything that comes after it just doesn't compare.
    I hoped RID would have great storylines but alas it really fell flat for me, especially the "I am Optimus Prime and I will now give a soliloquy before we go into battle" trope and the almost lazy animation that made much of the original G1 show look good in comparison.

I hope they give the characters in Cyberverse more dimension this time around and put some thought into the stories. With a shorter time format though I am uncertain they'll achieve that at all. However, I'm willing to give it a chance and will hold my final opinion until we've seen a few episodes.