Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > News > Optimus Prime's Movies News

Sightings/Sales

Old 30th March 2018, 11:11 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Default Leaked image of MPM VW Bumblebee prototype

A leaked image of MPM prototypes appeared on Baidu and includes the unannounced but somewhat expected MPM VW Bumblebee.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...-leaked/40982/
Old 30th March 2018, 01:27 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Oh this is intriguing! It probably should've clicked for me earlier, but I guess with this movie it means Volkswagen Group is over their fighting war robots on screen phobia. Can't wait to see what bot mode looks like.
Old 30th March 2018, 01:28 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
Oh this is intriguing! It probably should've clicked for me earlier, but I guess with this movie it means Volkswagen Group is over their fighting war robots on screen phobia. Can't wait to see what bot mode looks like.
Well there was the G1 MP Bumblebee
Old 30th March 2018, 03:52 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
Thing is it's never been the VW organisation as a whole, just the VW brand. We've had licensed Audis, Lambos, Bugattis, etc for some time.

The whole "war toys" thing probably has something to do with Hitler's role in the creation of the VW bug.
Old 30th March 2018, 10:33 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
Well there was the G1 MP Bumblebee
Yeah, I vaguely remember talk about how even though they permitted the license for the figure that they still didn't want him represented on screen. Could be wrong but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
Thing is it's never been the VW organisation as a whole, just the VW brand. We've had licensed Audis, Lambos, Bugattis, etc for some time.

The whole "war toys" thing probably has something to do with Hitler's role in the creation of the VW bug.
Ohh good point!
Old 30th March 2018, 10:33 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

Have there been any sources confirming Volkswagen's position? The TF Wiki page on licensed vehicles cites a TF Archive forum post wherein someone claimed to have contacted Porsche's licensing department and got the 'war machines' response, but they didn't cite VW. This article claims that there was actually no solid information from Volkswagen either way, and that there isn't any evidence for the Volkswagen 'war toys' claim. This kind of reminds me of how

If Volkswagen really were initially opposed, they likely changed their minds after seeing that an association with the Transformers franchise was beneficial for General Motors and that other manufacturers (Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari) were jumping on board.
Old 31st March 2018, 07:51 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Have there been any sources confirming Volkswagen's position? The TF Wiki page on licensed vehicles cites a TF Archive forum post wherein someone claimed to have contacted Porsche's licensing department and got the 'war machines' response, but they didn't cite VW. This article claims that there was actually no solid information from Volkswagen either way, and that there isn't any evidence for the Volkswagen 'war toys' claim. This kind of reminds me of how

If Volkswagen really were initially opposed, they likely changed their minds after seeing that an association with the Transformers franchise was beneficial for General Motors and that other manufacturers (Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari) were jumping on board.
Wouldn't surprise me if Porsche were against it because of the "war toys" thing but I've always heard it in relation to VW. Porsche is incredibly stupid when it comes to their licensing. While other VW brands like Lamborghini will licence to practically anyone because they understand how important it is to get the brand in front of the public, Porsche on the other hand is highly selective and the cost of the license is very high.