Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > News > Outback's Australian News

Sightings/Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25th May 2018, 06:27 PM
Jetfire in the sky's Avatar
Jetfire in the sky Jetfire in the sky is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 30th May 2011
Location: Townsville
Posts: 1,379
Default Netflix The Toys That Made Us - Transformers

I'm pretty sure that this show has been posted somewhere on the boards but this is just a reminder that the second four episodes of the series air May 25 US time.
One of those episodes is Transformers F-Yeah!!

If anyone has Netflix and hasn't seen this series it is a must, great editing and very entertaining and funnily enough it is a bit how I expected 80's toy design and success to roll, by the seat of their coke filled pants.
__________________
The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25th May 2018, 06:45 PM
Omega Metro's Avatar
Omega Metro Omega Metro is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 11th Dec 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 2,029
Default

Just finished watching the Lego and Transformers episodes. I don’t think these were as good as the MOTU and Star Wars episodes from the first series. Mainly because I already knew alot about the history of Transformers and Lego. Seemed to be more silly bits ‘show filler’ in the second series.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25th May 2018, 06:56 PM
Jetfire in the sky's Avatar
Jetfire in the sky Jetfire in the sky is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 30th May 2011
Location: Townsville
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
Just finished watching the Lego and Transformers episodes. I don’t think these were as good as the MOTU and Star Wars episodes from the first series. Mainly because I already knew alot about the history of Transformers and Lego. Seemed to be more silly bits ‘show filler’ in the second series.
*Runs to TV now*
__________________
The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25th May 2018, 08:52 PM
DaptoDog's Avatar
DaptoDog DaptoDog is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 23rd Sep 2014
Location: BULLI
Posts: 1,479
Default

Just finished watching the Transformers episode. Really liked the focus on the Japanese designers. Whereas for He-Man there were 5 or 6 guys that were claiming credit for its creation, it was very clear who created Transformers. Glad Peter Cullen also got heavily featured. A very well put together show.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25th May 2018, 09:24 PM
Jetfire in the sky's Avatar
Jetfire in the sky Jetfire in the sky is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 30th May 2011
Location: Townsville
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
Just finished watching the Transformers episode. Really liked the focus on the Japanese designers. Whereas for He-Man there were 5 or 6 guys that were claiming credit for its creation, it was very clear who created Transformers. Glad Peter Cullen also got heavily featured. A very well put together show.
Agreed, I really loved the last 10 minutes where the respect was given to the JP designer and Peter. A really nice touch......Cue Stan Bush

The MOTU one was so funny with all those guys.
__________________
The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25th May 2018, 09:29 PM
Omega Metro's Avatar
Omega Metro Omega Metro is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 11th Dec 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 2,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
Agreed, I really loved the last 10 minutes where the respect was given to the JP designer and Peter. A really nice touch......Cue Stan Bush
It was quite sad at the end actually. Nearly had a tear in my eye
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27th May 2018, 07:29 PM
Paulbot's Avatar
Paulbot Paulbot is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Chadstone, Vic
Posts: 13,879
Default

I watched the other three new eps today, and found the Hello Kitty one quite interesting as it was a property I've never understood. (The episode didn't really feel like it was about toys though, rather just merchandising.)

The ending of the Transformers ep was the best part. I didn't go into it expecting to learn much but it was still good to see some behind the scenes and some of the creators being interviewed.

The thing that really disappointed me, especially compared to the Star Trek and Lego eps (and what I remember of the first season eps too) was that it undersold the brand's longevity.

According to the story told here there was G1 (US only, no JP G1) and then there was Beast Wars and nowadays Transformers is a series of movies.

I get that 34 years of a toyline is a lot for an hour show but to ignore that there's been another continuous 20 years of toys, tv series and comics after G1/BW was a disservice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th May 2018, 10:33 AM
Jetfire in the sky's Avatar
Jetfire in the sky Jetfire in the sky is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 30th May 2011
Location: Townsville
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
I watched the other three new eps today, and found the Hello Kitty one quite interesting as it was a property I've never understood. (The episode didn't really feel like it was about toys though, rather just merchandising.)

The ending of the Transformers ep was the best part. I didn't go into it expecting to learn much but it was still good to see some behind the scenes and some of the creators being interviewed.

The thing that really disappointed me, especially compared to the Star Trek and Lego eps (and what I remember of the first season eps too) was that it undersold the brand's longevity.

According to the story told here there was G1 (US only, no JP G1) and then there was Beast Wars and nowadays Transformers is a series of movies.

I get that 34 years of a toyline is a lot for an hour show but to ignore that there's been another continuous 20 years of toys, tv series and comics after G1/BW was a disservice.
Yeah they did the old one, two skip a few 99, 100 with the story telling in the TF one but to me it seemed it was more about the creation/beginning of the line and after BW it seemed implied that the line continued on strong.
With the Star Trek ep, the point of the story was the stop start nature and poor marketing of the toys and that it was the passion of the fans that created the success rather than a brilliant marketing strategy.
__________________
The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.