Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conan Ummm I Mean Vikor He-man Of The North ?

Default Conan Ummm I Mean Vikor He-man Of The North ?

I'm not sure where there going with this one,It'll make a good MOTUC Conan though

That guy couldn't be more Conan, dress him up in a suit and he could be an action figure of the former Governator .

I like how they are expanding the lore by adding history between the era of King Grayskull and that of Prince Adam by adding 'sub' He-Men in between as guardians.

They should expand on who was the main villain for each era.

My Son just saw the picture and he said who's that? Conan?

I laughed

Btw I'm not sure but wasnt the original MOTU line going to be a Conan movie line but they Didnt get the right's or something and they had this whole line all slated to go,So they went with MOTU and created there own character's.

Here is some infor from wikipedia on the Conan Connection:

There is an enduring urban legend about the so-called "Conan toyline." The story is that the Mattel Toy Company originally intended to base an action figure line on Conan the Barbarian, the pulp fantasy character created by Robert E. Howard which at the time was the lead in several popular series produced by Marvel Comics and due to be the subject of a major movie. However, after viewing the film, the Mattel executives despaired at the thought of promoting a children's toy with ties to a film featuring such graphic sex and violence. Thus they gave their doll blonde hair and re-dubbed him "He-Man". The legend is unverified but persistent, and most likely false since the first He-Man action figures were produced in 1981, a year before the first Conan film. Roger Sweet, the originator of He-Man, asserts that the He-Man/Masters Of The Universe concept definitely was not an outgrowth of Conan. The He-Man concept, later renamed the Masters Of The Universe, was originated and developed by Roger Sweet in late 1980. Later, that initial concept was followed by the original comics by Donald F. Glut. The Conan license had been dropped by Mattel months before the He-Man concept was begun. Such fantasy artists as Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo, made famous previously through their barbarian themed art, were undoubtfully a great inspiration for the MOTU creators. For instance, while designing the first He-Man prototypes, some artists like Mark Taylor brought forth a very Conan-esque dark haired He-Man bearing a horned helmet and barbaric outfit [32]
    Although Conan is not "officially" a source of inspiration, Mattel may have taken advantage of his resemblance by hiring comic book artists (mostly working for DC comics and Marvel Comics) to design the mini-comics and box art. Earl Norem for instance, having worked on countless Savage Sword of Conan covers for Marvel, was kept in high esteem by Masters of the Universe fans for his astonishing posters, package inlays and box art. The confusion and "Conan toyline" urban myth may have stemmed from the striking similarities between Norem's Conan depictions.[33] and He-Man [34]
    I personally do feel that Conan is more of a source of inspiration for MOTU rather than being directly based upon.

You can notice that early comics and depictions of the characters and as the article above states, that is likely the source of the rumor about MOTU originally intended to be Conan.
    Last edited by kup; 18th November 2010 at 01:02 PM.

I don't care what he's called. This dude is Conan. So much so I hope Mattel doesn't get sued by Robert E. Howard's estate. I love the all the prototype/concept characters in MOTUC. Not really a fan of the multiple He-Men idea but as long as I get a He-Ro, son of he-man figure in the next five years I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    Not really a fan of the multiple He-Men idea but as long as I get a He-Ro, son of he-man figure in the next five years I'll be happy.
    He-Ro

He's not He-man's Son

Here is the Conan figure my Grandma bought me during the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Ryathalas View Post
    He-Ro

He's not He-man's Son

That's a different He-Ro.

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...le-cover.shtml

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...bible-17.shtml

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...bible-22.shtml

However, I'm 99% sure that Mattel won't have the rights to do the Lou Scheimer He-Ro, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    That's a different He-Ro.

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...le-cover.shtml

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...bible-17.shtml

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...bible-22.shtml

However, I'm 99% sure that Mattel won't have the rights to do the Lou Scheimer He-Ro, unfortunately.
    cool didnt even know this existed

Quote Originally Posted by Ryathalas View Post
    Here is the Conan figure my Grandma bought me during the 80's

Fascinating. I looked up Remco and discovered that this Conan figure is actually from 1984 so it was released a couple of years after MOTU debuted.

It is more likely that these Conan figures although not exactly KOs, are mimicking the toy style of MOTU since by then it had proven to be a successful toy line.