Thread: Shelfwarmers

Default Shelfwarmers

What TFs (and/or related stuff) are shelfwarming where you are?

I've noticed that nearly all of the non-mainline RotF stuff is not moving. At all. Power Bots, RPMs, FABs, things like that are clogging shelves. Target Macquarie Centre has nearly an entire row of that stuff, along with the Leaders.

I suppose the reason for this is that kids (and collectors) would prefer the mainline things, and that the more expensive size classes and things like Power Bots would not be bought because of their price aside from occasions like Christmas and birthdays. Also, I question the logic behind making simplified toys for a younger demographic who would most likely not have seen the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    What TFs (and/or related stuff) are shelfwarming where you are?

I've noticed that nearly all of the non-mainline RotF stuff is not moving. At all. Power Bots, RPMs, FABs, things like that are clogging shelves. Target Macquarie Centre has nearly an entire row of that stuff, along with the Leaders.

I suppose the reason for this is that kids (and collectors) would prefer the mainline things, and that the more expensive size classes and things like Power Bots would not be bought because of their price aside from occasions like Christmas and birthdays. Also, I question the logic behind making simplified toys for a younger demographic who would most likely not have seen the movie itself.
    Just about everything on the TrU shelf

Haven't Hasbro said that the RPMs are selling well despite them appearing to shelfwarm everywhere? I've never seen anyone even look at a powerbot let alone buy one. It seems to me that scouts and deluxes are the two size classes that are absolutely guaranteed to sell.

Personally I don't understand the logic of the more 'merchandise' releases. Both in TF1 and ROTF all they have done is shelf/peg warm for months even over a year. Then they get dramatically discounted so that they can free up some space but even that doesn't really work.

I have to assume that due to incompetence or lack of knowledge, the stores keep demanding them because from an adult's point of view who is completely disinterested in toys, one would think that they are exactly what kids want.

The good sales reported by Hasbro are more likely the sales they manage to make to the stores not the end consumer. From that perspective the sales are of course pretty good since the stores keep stocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I have to assume that due to incompetence or lack of knowledge, the stores keep demanding them because from an adult's point of view who is completely disinterested in toys, one would think that they are exactly what kids want.
    I think its more of a package contract/business deal that results in 'merchandise' getting onto shelves. Basically Hasbro would say "if you want in on ROTF figures you have to stock this crap too". Which isn't too bad of a deal for the retailer since mass production laws are still in play. Selling one unit probably pays for a dozen. All you need is a little bit of foolish parenting and not a lot of luck

The other thing you have to remember is that Australian toy shelves are not indicative. The market for TRansformers is very different here. They're more expensive, they're less well known in a lot of ways.

It's like how things are different in the UK and Europe.

Certain size classes tend to shelf-warm more here -- looking back at the history of the line think about just HOW MANY Voyager or Mega class toys we have never gotten. When a line is wrapping up they are almost always the ones Hasbro Australia drops like a stone. (Followed by other larger class toys like Leaders and Supremes)

I think the merchandise stuff is hard to guage. Hasbro obviously thinks the RPM concept is successful enough to keep plugging away at it for now. On the other hand they completely dropped the Real Gears from last movie.

The Power Bots and other non-TFing figures continue to exist... and Hasbro's had more than enough time to decide that they're worthless. So they seem to be getting something out of them -- heck they clearly sold well since they have direct analogues in the G.I. Joe line.

And the Fast Action Battlers continue to sell like mad, as they're basically part of the ever-popular deluxe price point.

--Jhiaxus.

One store I went today had only one deluxe: Wheelie. Four of them. And more in the two packs with Sideways. No one seems to want that ugly thing! :P

Springer and Jetfire seem to be unpopular Legends.

Ejector seems to be a pretty unpopular Scout.

The least popular deluxe in the last assortment is always the one shelf warming locally, but only for a short time.

I think at the moment that would be Rampage, and Lockdown, but there not really shelfwarming, just more common than the others in their wave.

As for the merchandise, not sure it it's good for the stores, but it would be great for Hasbro. All that junk must cost a fraction of the cost of developing a real TF, so as long as the stores take it, then it's no brainer for them.