Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 日本語会話: The Japanese Conversation Thread

Because it's pronounced きのう (/kɪ'noʊ/) and not きのお (/kɪ'nɔ;/). Pronunciations are similar, but not identical.

おう sounds similar to "o" as in "throw", "though", "go", "sow" etc., whereas おお sounds more similar to "o" as in "oar," "floor," "more" etc. So for example, Osaka is pronounced as おおさか and not おうさか. Although most English speakers do technically mispronounce it as the latter, it should correctly be pronounced as in the former. I do say similar, not the same. Japanese vowels are pronounced as monophthongs, unlike English vowels which are diphthongs. They don't glide like English vowels, and they're also slightly more nasal. They're more similar to the way vowels are pronounced in Romance languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Italian) rather than the way they're pronounced in Germanic languages like English.

I had a Japanese guy stay at my house the day after my b'day.(18th August) Also, got 100% on my last katakana test! YAY-UH! Anyway, speaking of Japan, are encore Omega Supremes still shelfwarming?

They were when I was last there earlier this year. Found some in Tokyo (Akihabara).

Thanks Goki, I'll keep that in mind. I really hope we can go to Japan sometime this year or next, wanna get me some good tfs. ('coz we got no hope here)My brother might be going next year for school, might ask him to get me Omega and maybe Devy. (if he can get it right)
    I think my Jap is doing pretty good well. You basically need to know speech particles and phrases, as well as a variety of words. I think I may be able to communicate with some Japanese guys.
    ゴキチマスコンボイくん、トランスフォーム!ぼくのすきなトランスフォーマーはサウンドウェビ です。
    グリムロクくんは素晴らしいですね!

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    ゴキチマスコンボイくん、トランスフォーム!ぼくのすきなトランスフォーマーはサウンドウェビ です。
    グリムロクくんは素晴らしいですね!
    That's a lot better than what you were typing before!

Corrections:
    コンボイ、トランスフォーム!ぼくのすきなトランスフォーマーはサウンドウェーブです。
    グリムロクは素晴らしいですね!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That's a lot better than what you were typing before!

Corrections:
    コンボイ、トランスフォーム!ぼくのすきなトランスフォーマーはサウンドウェーブです。
    グリムロクは素晴らしいですね!
    Oh yeah, forgot. *stupid, stupid stupid*

In the jap G1, do the dinobots speak in third person, like this:
    グリムロックくんのすきなたべものは金属デス。 or is it like normal:
    ぼくのすきなたべものは金属です。

More like: 「俺グリムロック、好きな食べ物は金属だ」
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...K8wuzMvk#t=22s

More like: 「俺グリムロック、好きな食べ物は金属だ」
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...K8wuzMvk#t=22s
    Really, really?

グリムロックくんはかわいいですか。

What madness is this?!

It's called post Transformers The Movie where the Dinobots were portrayed as raging 'tard monkey comic relief caricatures. *sigh* It was just as bad in the English language version too. *sighs.again* ...this is why I prefer the Dinobots from Seasons 1-2 and the Marvel Comics.

It's called post Transformers The Movie where the Dinobots were portrayed as raging 'tard monkey comic relief caricatures. *sigh* It was just as bad in the English language version too. *sighs.again* ...this is why I prefer the Dinobots from Seasons 1-2 and the Marvel Comics.

*snip*
    Exactly, as Grimlock's my fave character, (along with Soundwave) it really puts me off when he's not as lovable. Grim's new brain was alright, kind of went into Grimlock's troubles. It wasn't great, but IMHO, it was his best season 3 episode. The earlier comics featuring Grimlock were really good, IMO. I kinda didn't like what they were portrayed as in the movies, but the 'Me Grimlock kick butt' was... alright. Anyway, back to Japanese. He was really badass in seasons 1-2 though.