Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Clone Wars TV Series

Default The Clone Wars TV Series

This isn't a review because I don't want to spoil it for anybody. Its just my personal comments:

I have seen the first two episodes and I am VERY impressed.

These two episodes were much, much better than the disappointing Prequel trilogy combined and the irony is that its more mature too. It is more within the tone of the original trilogy than the cartoony one of the prequels. This series so far feels more like an evolution of the original trilogy rather than a regression.

These episodes are also very bold for a kid's cartoons, reminds me of 90s style of cartoon story telling. There is actually real injury, danger and death in this with no attempt at making it overly safe. It is still appropriate for children however but it doesn't underestimate nor is condescending to the audience like most modern cartoons are. It tells a story without making it overly happy and 'safe' *cough*Animated *cough*. It is a war and people do die tragically or needlessly.

The writing is also much more intelligent and the Separatists are shown not like super villain cutouts (like the prequel trilogy) but smarter and truly menacing. They are trying to win the minds and loyalty of the neutralists so by blatantly acting evil, they would get no where and these episodes show us a much more sophisticated villain.

The characters and tone are also much more in line with the original trilogy rather than the prequels. There is no random snappy one liners and Yoda actually behaves like the Jedi Master we knew even if they have retained his 'fighting capabilities' from Ep II but it is much more respectful and mythical than the hyperactive bouncy ball of the prequels. This Yoda is certainly the one we met in Empire Strikes Back.

The characters also have superior actors behind them which is a contrast of the prequels and Anakin is actually likable and believable as a possible Darth Vader rather than that idiot what's his face from the prequels who can't act for crap.

I am hyped up about this series now, these episodes have won me over as a fan and I hope it continues displaying this high grade level of story telling and maturity. Who knows, this could end up being everything that the Prequel Trilogy was not.

I never saw the theatrical release of the pilot for this series so I cannot comment on that but If you have not seen these new televised episodes I recommend you do. You won't be disappointed. The first and second episodes have much better quality story telling and character portrayals than the prequel trilogy combined so even if you were dissatisfied with the last few movies like I did, watch this new series, the first two episodes will not disappoint.

Wow, I can't believe that I am once again hyped about Star Wars. I honestly did not see that coming

And IMO, the animation style looks far better when on the smaller tv screen, compared to a cinema screen.

The writing is stronger in these shorter bursts, the film really felt to me like a 3 part opener that was smooshed together, very much like the Transformers Animated opening.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

So is this a new TV series in the style of the Clone Wars movie?

Was there another TV Clone Wars cartoon with a more "Animated" animated style, or are these the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Damn straight. 22 minute episodes with there being two released last week. It's a direct follow on to the movie, same characters, same VA, the whole kit and caboodle.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I enjoyed the first episode more than the second. I think I can bear the drippings of sentamentality as long as they keep up the awesome space battles. They were excellent, ableit short.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

Was there another TV Clone Wars cartoon with a more "Animated" animated style, or are these the same thing?
    It is indeed a new series. The Clone Wars movie was actually its pilot episode but Lucas wanted a theatrical release.

Although I have not seen the theatrical release I have read that it isn't as good as these new two episodes even though the animation style and voice actors are the same.

These two new episodes are great.

Looking forward to this now, thanks for your non-spoiler impressions on the first couple of eps Kup!

Watched ep 1, its pretty good, but god I hate the droids voices and piss-weak comedy. Galvatron knows what I'm on about!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Watched ep 1, its pretty good, but god I hate the droids voices and piss-weak comedy. Galvatron knows what I'm on about!
    yeah I had an issue with that too but the rest of the plot and mood of the story makes up for that. To me it was minor unlike the prequels in which the droids just added to the overall disappointment.

In the second episode you may be able to appreciate more the deadly nature of the droids.

they have added so much more life to the droids and clones!