Thread: Are knock off's QC rejects or different molds?

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Are knock off's QC rejects or different molds?

So far i've bought original MP: YOTH Optimus, Nemesis prime, Soundwave, Prowl, G2 sideswipe, bluetreak, smokescreen. I have wheeljack, bumblebee and ultra magnus on preorder. Pretty proud of my MP collection so far.

During the ebay toy sale i bought mp Starscream and KO alert, lambor and tigertrack.

I've been doing some research and one thing ive never been clear on is if the KO's are QC failed rejects or somehow made from fake molds? I've seen evidence to support both theories.

I've been avoiding KO's because i simply prefer to buy theoriginal items. The other aspect of it is that i get that sense of satisfaction owning the original product.

But given that the KO's are that much cheaper and TT's own figures sometimes have QC issues i thought i'd give them a shot.

Knock Offs are reproduced toys, from reverse-engineering toys (taking them apart and replicating every piece, screw and pin).

There are also "out-of-packaging factory figures" being sold on ebay by some regular sources, of current/recent/future toys, that may or may not have QC issues (but are likely to just be excess stock - produced to be sure they cover the exact amount Hasbro ordered)... but are something completely different to KOs.

Considering the logistics of producing a toy of Transformers complexity, it is very unlikely that a Knock Off is from an official factory.

If in doubt about something you bought or about to buy, check our Knock Off section.

Depends on what method they used to KO it.

Security at the factories in China Takara was using were very lax so we saw what are called "Lunch Time Specials" made of the Lamborghini MP's. These "Specials" are made in very same factory on the exact same moulds by the exact same people that are making the real ones but normally with lower QC standards. Culturally China does not respect other peoples property and thinks it's OK to make bootlegs of everything. That is why Hasbro and Takara have moved production to Vietnam where they culturally have a very dim view on bootlegs. Every AOE toy I've bought says made in Vietnam. It will be interesting to see if MP Wheeljack is also made in Vietnam, if it I'd guess the transition is complete.

The other two ways you make KO's are reverse engineering the mould either from the final toy as most KO's do or from the actual moulds which is the second way the Lamborghini's are thought to have been KOed. They are not made on the real moulds and are not perfect recreations so panels might not line up and other problems might arise.

Culturally maybe, and not just in China... but for a few years now, the factories in China would have been too desperate for work from Western Companies to risk jeopardising their contracts by allowing their staff to produce an unauthorised run of products, for very little return. (producing a small batch of Transformers toys at the official factory holding the moulds and materials, requires dozens of moulding machines that need to be carefully calibrated by the trained technicians, and at least 20 people to construct the toys)
    I think the move to Vietnam was cost-cutting when the price of oil went up (for the production of plastic)... as well as to keep up with a spike in higher production requirements during the movie years. I can't recall when or where that was mentioned though.

I don't know if we've had any KOs come out at the same time as the real thing, so it suggests that the people producing them still need time to create their own from the real things.

As Griffin mentioned, it's a decision based on production costs. I seriously doubt that the production of a handful of KO's was the defining reason for Hasbro packing up shop. Dollars and cents, dollars and cents.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Hasbro returned to China once their contacts in Vietnam have been satisfied & new, even more cost effective ones renegotiated.

Culturally Vietnam has a dim view on knockoff products?? I think not. There's plenty of that stuff there and not just transformers, and all over many parts of Asia. It's not just the Chinese that do this stuff.

At any rate, the best way to combat KOs is to never buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by leej84 View Post
    Culturally Vietnam has a dim view on knockoff products?? I think not. There's plenty of that stuff there and not just transformers, and all over many parts of Asia. It's not just the Chinese that do this stuff.
    I think what he's saying is that most of the KOs are made in/by china. It doesn't mean that Vietnam doesn't have them. If the factories in Vietnam make KOs, it's "probably to a lesser extent". I have no proof either way to show. But since most products are originally made in China and copied there, then most of the KOs you see in other Asian countries are probably originally from China.

You have KOs worldwide. If you find the source, ask where the majority are made?

Actually I've heard an American guy that lives in Vietnam as a TV media executive talk. He said that they don't like a bunch of things as a culture in Vietnam including bootlegs of all types (he was talking about iPhone knock offs and how their cultures respect the genuine article). Take China on the other hand and they knock off everything and think it's OK. I'm sure it's not 100% black and white, but it's just two different cultures doing different things.

Oh and I agree with Gok, you should never knowingly buy a KO.