Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Region-Based Sightings as an alternative to Line-Based Sightings

None of my original suggestion was meant to suggest changes in how we report which stores the sightings are from or how some of us like to refer to them. As with everything, to each their own.

I'm not suggesting changing any of that, rather just the way we group the sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    well, one has the choice to call the person that has sighted something too...
    EXACTLY! Just like how I sent a mass SMS to all the melbournians during the Myer one day sale about the stock of combiners and 25th annim prime... heehee... my poor phone must have gone bonkers that night.

Jacksplatt - As for that maybe Griff can create a section for DMs to leave their contact numbers down?
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    first you all change your avatars and stuff

now you wanna frick around with the laserbeak sighting sections

When does it stop!!!!! Why do you young people have to change things!! Just to make it modern isnt it!
    We do it just to get a reaction from you
    Just make the sightings thread, 'members only' if you want to deter scalpers
    Probably a good idea
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Sounds like a good idea, by all means go ahead and trial. It is a bit cluttered atm isn't it

The problem with making it "members only" is that it won't necessarily deter scalpers. There are scalpers who register on the board and either never or very seldomly post but probably lurk a lot on the sightings thread for their scalping practices. And there are plenty of registered users who post infrequently who aren't scalpers, so it would be unfair to deregister less active users.

Can we bring this back to discussing jaydisc's original discussion? Pulse can choose to pretend to be clever however he wants, but that's not what this is about.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

TheDirtyDigger Guest

The only real way to assess the value and effectiveness of region based sightings is if we run with a trial.

I've launched a Victorian trial.

For the moment, I'd ask that Victorians don't vacate the older sightings threads en-masse - to really gauge what works best we need at least a few people using both methods. I'll let that run for a while and we'll see how things go.

I'm particularly interested in the thoughts of jaydisc, TheDirtyDigger & Paulbot on how the trial goes (as advocate, the one who suggested a trial and our Mexican staff member).

Just been quiet on this topic, as I wanted to see what others had to say before I gave my opinion.
    This was how the sightings section was done on our first board home, but when we moved to our second location, dirge actually convinced me not to do it that way, but is now supporting it (shrug)...
    Maybe having more members and more sightings now would make it easier to have state-based sightings?
    See how the trial goes I guess.
    My opinion though, is that the state based sightings only cover the main lines (Animated, Movie, Universe), and people still post sub-lines (like Masterpiece, Titanium, Alts, etc) in their own topics, so that they don't get lost for people looking out for them. We would also need to post more often in the AUS news section, when new items are being found in Australia, so that people don't have to constantly be looking in the sightings section for an upcoming item, or miss it if they weren't watching out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    This was how the sightings section was done on our first board home, but when we moved to our second location, dirge actually convinced me not to do it that way, but is now supporting it (shrug)...
    Two things have changed:

1) We have a much larger community now. Back then we had... 1 or two in SA, maybe 3 in WA and maybe 4 in Brisbane. Which made regional sightings kinda difficult.

2) HasTak have their hands in so many buckets. Universe, Movie, Alt/Bt, Reissues, Animated... there are so many threads runnign concurrently.

TBH it's mainly the first - we could easily run threads in Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane & Gold Coast now. A few years ago anything outside of Sydney/Melbourne would have been too quiet. At one stage we had a single active user from South Australia. Now they're organising their own meets down there

But yeah, I started a trial so we can figure out what'll work best