Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: A third Masterpiece Gen1 Optimus coming?

I have to say I have been impressed with the + releases so far in terms of the robot mode. Particularly Sideswipe, everything just pops compared to the original. You can still keep the originals in alt mode where they still shine (provided one has the requisite space).

So I welcome this news, though I'm not desperate for an updated MP-10.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Hope it's a brand new design. I would love a new Optimus that stands better alongside Megatron (and a new Starscream too!) as I much prefer the cartoon robot look.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm a huge fan of MP-10. I have both Hasbro and Takara versions and like them both. I also am not into the strict toon look. I haven't liked any of the + releases so far. With this in mind I'm probably unlikely to purchase a v3 Prime.

However... I don't write it off. Takara can wow you, so I have an open mind as to whether I may pick this up. I may be blown away and have to buy it.

In general I feel I'm near the end of my Masterpiece journey. I'm really just hanging out for MP Jazz and Hound, perhaps a few others. While I loved MP Megatron, I can't seem to get into Sunstreaker and if they get more toon I don't think I can continue. I'm really hoping that the future MP Car bots are not too toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Who are these people, with apparently limitless money and space, that want new versions of figures that we have already got?
    Not I, but that doesn't stop me buying new stuff I have nowhere to display.
    I actually have to speed up my opening of toys so I can throw away the boxes to make space for the newer incoming ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There are collectors out there who have the bulk of their collection in storage and barely living within their means. Evidently not having enough space or money doesn't stop some people.
    What's wrong with having a large part of your collection in storage? I only have limited display space and cycle toys around from time to time, just like every art collection/museum in the world.

One of these days we'll hopefully move from an apartment to a house and I'll have more room but I doubt I'll be able to display my entire collection still.

Do I need another MP Prime, not really. I love MP-01/04 and still have a version of each. I also have the Hasbro release of MP-10. At the time I thought the Takara price was insane unjustifiable. Like others here I'm not even sure MP-10 is the better toy. It has some better features but MP-01/04 is still outstanding to this day.

I kind of wish they had stayed using the MP-01/04 'scale' through to now and beyond. I have enjoyed pretty much every MP release, I don't know if the 'more animation accurate' direction the line has taken of late is the way to go. I do like the more griebly look of the earlier 'teen' Masterpiece toys.

Will I get another MP Optimus prime if they do it, probably. But I doubt I'll jump on the pre-order like I did for most other Masterpiece toys I have.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

The interview with the Japanese Transformers design team that goes with that teaser image (in the JP hobby magazine Figure King), has been translated and posted here.

New MP Convoy mold is released only as Pepsi Convoy as a FamilyMart exclusive and never used again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    I have to say I have been impressed with the + releases so far in terms of the robot mode. Particularly Sideswipe, everything just pops compared to the original.
    It's nearly exactly the same 😳

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    It's nearly exactly the same 😳
    Well it is all subjective. The red paint on the + makes the original look really dull by comparison in my opinion. This combined with the improved head and swapping in white in certain areas like the feet made it worthwhile for me. Really didn't like the grey tyres though.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The interview with the Japanese Transformers design team that goes with that teaser image (in the JP hobby magazine Figure King), has been translated and posted here.
    Scans have now been posted up as well.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Well it is all subjective. The red paint on the + makes the original look really dull by comparison in my opinion. This combined with the improved head and swapping in white in certain areas like the feet made it worthwhile for me. Really didn't like the grey tyres though.
    I have the 2nd run of MP-12 so it has the same face as the + version and mine has really good paint but if you only had the first run I reckon the + version would be very tempting. Personally, I thought of picking it up because I love the MP-12 mold (I also have the 3rd release sitting in its box still plus G2 Sideswipe) but I couldn't get past the grey tyres and black back panel. I also think smoked windows work better on this guy.

Having said this, if by some random chance the + version becomes really cheap, I may pick it up.