Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Guns, No Swords, No Briefcases

I was a bit disappointed that the POTP Dinobots and Predacons didn't come with swords as the weapon suited both groups.

When it comes to video games I actually prefer melee weapons as I like to get in close and hack'n'slash - I find it more visceral and fun.

When it comes to Transformers I like to see a wide variety. I liked the inclusion of a Hammer for Ultra Magnus becoming more widespread after he first wielded one in Animated. It really depends on the character. For instance Swindle should have a wide variety due to being a munitions expert, and characters like him, Megatron, Galvatron, the Seekers etc all look good with arm-mounted weaponry.

So I guess my answer is there is nothing I prefer the best, a wide variety and whatever suits that character works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Unicron had lasers coming from his eyes and corrosive(?) breath.
    And again, dodging those eye lasers should be outright impossible. Although I'm not sure how Unicron can still see and aim while shooting those lasers, but watevs. Assuming that he could, like Cyclops, still see while shooting, then it should be impossible for him to miss a target. And since it should be impossible for targets to evade the laser blasts, then well... yeah, anything and anyone he targets with those eye lasers should be screwed. No idea how Unicron didn't score a direct hit on the Junkion ship.

It should be more like a Kryptonian's heat vision; it just instantly hits its target and you can't avoid it. Your options are either:
    * Attempt to deflect the ray as Superman did to Zod in Superman II, but that was already after the heat had hit its target and was already doing damage - even with Superman's blinding speed he couldn't deflect the initial blast.
    * Attempt to redirect the source of the blast, as we saw Superman do to Zod in Man of Steel when he had Zod in a headlock and was trying to stop him from zapping that family who, for some stupid reason, didn't run in the away but just chose to huddle in that corner and scream in terror.
    ...but yeah, you can't exactly intercept a laser shot. You can intersect it, but you can't intercept it. Not without moving faster than the speed of light which is impossible.

But again, this is why space battles would be really boring because it'd be over in a few seconds and there's nothing you could do once someone fires a deadly laser blast. I suppose you could try to strengthen your armour or shielding, but then there'd be an arms race where each side just builds more powerful lasers that can penetrate armour. I think it'd get to the point where lasers would become much like nuclear weapons; more of a deterrent rather than something that's regularly used in war. Because the thought of mutually assured destruction would discourage either side from firing the first shot. You'd have a lot of intense stand-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I was a bit disappointed that the POTP Dinobots and Predacons didn't come with swords as the weapon suited both groups.
    Yeah, I would've liked swords, but I understand why Hasbro didn't include them. It would've added to the already expensive cost of the set (remember that Hasbro budgets every last drop of paint on a toy; designers have to stick to a super-tight budget), plus the Predacons never used their swords in G1 canon (cartoon, comics). They only used their guns. The designers would've only been able to give them either guns or swords but not both. And the guns are all incorporated into Predaking as his feet, shoulder cannons and main rifle. You could have all of the swords combine into a big sword, I suppose, but it might not look that great and it may not be very sturdy.

I think that Hasbro made the right choice in choosing guns over swords. From a toy design POV the guns offer greater versatility, they're more G1 canon accurate, and they're also just more logical weapons. Even in Beast Wars we know that projectile weapons were superior to melee weapons; Rhinox is a classic example of this. The original Rhinox only ever had melee weapons; sword plus a buzzsaw with flails. We know that Mainframe animators modified the buzzsaw weapon into Rhinox's chainguns which became one of the best loved weapons from Beast Wars and an iconic weapon for Rhinox (and how many of us were stoked when Generations Rhinox came with the Chainguns of Doom?).

I remember when Beast Wars first started airing, one iconic scene that got even a lot of my non-TF buddies excited about was the scene where Rhinox is up to his knees in spent shells.

FatalityPitt Guest

On Transformers, I like weapons and accessories that are simple but distinguishable. I like guns that look like guns, and swords that look like swords.

Example of weapon accessories I like are TLK Deluxe Barricade's pistol and truncheon, because it's easy to see the type of weapon they're meant to represent, and it's appropriate to the character.

Example of weapons that I tend to dislike or be indifferent towards, are things like TR Seaspray's accessory. I can't make out if it's meant to be a gun, a scanning device, or a pizza box.

A lot of the single-carded Titan Masters in Titans Return had weapon modes that I mostly ignored. The only ones that seemed decent to me were Brawn's (looked like a rifle), and Shuffler/Ramhorn (looked like a cross between a rocket launcher and an Uzi sub-machine gun).

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Anything built into the toy.

It can be a feature like Triggerhappy's forearms, or sculpted like Rippersnappers claws and Flywheels knuckle-guns.

I've always liked guns on transformers. I also like how a lot of the g1 guns aren't necessarily 'laser' guns but some shoot acid, others shoot various types of solid projectiles. I forgot though that the G1 Dinobots had swords (on the toys at least) and I like that.

I've also recently liked some of the melee weapons that newer iterations have had. I like the wrecking ball weapons of TF Prime Bulkhead and the hammer fist of Breakdown. I really liked the style of the sword that Prime had and the Hammer of Solus Prime that Magnus used.

but the sound and styling of Megatrons Cannon and Primes Rifle have always stood out to me as something special.

I have a friend who thinks transformers should have ridiculously large weapons, given that they are robots and immeasurably strong by our standards but I don't like the look or 'practicality' of that type of weapon.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Beast wars tigerhawk had the elemental powers so is most powerful. My fav is hand to hand weapons coz there is more technical skill involved rather than just hiding behind a rock and firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Beast wars tigerhawk had the elemental powers so is most powerful.
    True this! Can't really argue with godlike elemental powers. Unless you've got a massive Fusion Cannon that can draw anti-matter from an inter(intra?)-dimensionally connected black hole (which Jellico already mention).

One interesting thing is how underused Megatron's fusion cannon's true potential is. In fact, he's only ever done it twice - once in the G1 comics* and once in the IDW comics※.

----------------------
    * Ressurection! (1987)
    Do Not Go Gentle (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    True this! Can't really argue with godlike elemental powers. Unless you've got a massive Fusion Cannon that can draw anti-matter from an inter(intra?)-dimensionally connected black hole (which Jellico already mention).

One interesting thing is how underused Megatron's fusion cannon's true potential is. In fact, he's only ever done it twice - once in the G1 comics* and once in the IDW comics※.
    That IS incredibly understated.

Megatrons original form does pose an interesting conundrum for this topic; is he an INTEGRATED weapon, a ranged weapon all of his own due to his alt mode, both??

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    That IS incredibly understated.
    Both G1 and IDW canon explained it as being due to the fact that his anti-matter powers are too destructive to be used. G1 Megatron did it because he was going insane after Straxus had transferred his mind into Megatron's body. IDW Megatron did it as a weapon of last resort to execute the Decepticon Justice Division, but ensured that the effects were contained in a force field.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    Megatrons original form does pose an interesting conundrum for this topic; is he an INTEGRATED weapon, a ranged weapon all of his own due to his alt mode, both??
    Well... yes! Megatron and Shockwave and many other gun moded TFs are ranged weapons on their own. This would also include those who transform into cannons and tanks.

Browning is the exception because he transforms into a toy gun. Yeah, the Browning toy is a toy gun that transforms into a toy gun!

FatalityPitt Guest

I like Autobot leaders with swords - Star Saber, Laser Prime, Fort Max, etc.

When I was a kid I thought it was really cool seeing Fort Max in the Headmasters cartoon transforming into his full-size and posing with the Master Sword. Somehow it reminded me of King Arthur and Excalibur.

I think the sword can be associated with knighthood and chivalry, which is fitting for an Autobot leader. It's also a nice contrast from the arm cannon worn by Decepticon leaders like Megatron, Galvatron, etc.