Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: Robots in Disguise season 2: #28 onwards

Default Comic review: Robots in Disguise season 2: #28 onwards

With the relaunch, and pretty much everything about the book transforming except the creators, I thought a fresh review thread was due.

So, in season two of RID the action shifts back to a familiar planet: Earth. Optimus Prime and a small team of Autobots return and find surprises immediately.

Spoilers follow

The containing Autobot cast from the previous storylines includes Prowl, Jazz, Sideswipe, Kup, Arcee and Sky Lynx. Cosmos has left the Lost Light to join this crew too and gets some on tech spec dialogue about his loneliness that rarely is covered.

There's also Decepticons, including the return of Thundercracker as seen in the previews. I was a little disappointed that there's no former 'Cons with Prime but TC may fill that role.

There's a couple of extended flashbacks in issue 1 that makes it seem like this book should have come out before Windblade #1. The order of the interlocking covers suggest so as well.

The new designs look good, and there was one particularly unexpected redesign, but I'm not sure exactly how the Autobots "scanned new alt forms" on the way...

The Thundercracker preview pages give a good sneak peak at the book's tone. This issue is much less serious than the first season.

At the same time this book feels like a continuation of the Costa ongoing. Returning to Earth this can't be helped but the new status quo feels like it will be familiar.

Human Decepticon alliance? Surely the humans know from just the badges that the cons were responsible for all the damage in AHM and then for most of the horrible Costa era things... So why he alliance? For tech?

I'm sure there will be answers and it seems that Thundercracker was bullied into it, seeing as he was glad that bumblebee was not around for the cross.

I agree with Paulbot that it feels Costa-sequel but the writing is already better and bar the screenplay the dialogue more snazzy. I like Cosmos and Skylynx being on the team, adds some difference to the very familiar lineup on Earth.

A good start, some interesting redesigns and I hope it flows better than series 1.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I gotta say, I really liked this issue, really clicked. Highlights: Sky Lynx, Thundercracker and Cosmos.

^Agreed.

I picked up both this and the latest issue of MTMTE and made the mistake of reading this issue first. For anyone who haven't picked up either issue, do yourself a favour and read MTMTE first, as it does chronologically happen first and there's a bit of a spoiler in it -- nothing majorly serious, but I felt that it would've been more enjoyable if I'd read these two issues the other way around.

I feel like it's time for the Constructicons to paint themselves red, white and black (or for Prowl to paint himself green and purple.)

I only liked Thundercracker in this issue. He is the only character that I feel stays consistent throughout this issue, let alone compared to recent history.

Not sure how we are meant to believe that the humans would ally with the cons with Galvatron doing his best G1 insane Galvy impersonation. I also don't get why Prime, the great military leader just resorts to "attack" quickly followed by "runaway" followed by "save me!"

While I see what Prowl is doing looks good to him, I feel it will come back to bite him, the writers are not as smart as Prowl thinks he is.

I am hoping that RiD can start to move forward from poorly drawn and written fights to something with a story or it's going to lose my interest, it is already waning after just two issues. It's a shame as the art is awful and some of the secondary characters are well done, yet Kup is awfully cliche...

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I only liked Thundercracker in this issue. He is the only character that I feel stays consistent throughout this issue, let alone compared to recent history.

Not sure how we are meant to believe that the humans would ally with the cons with Galvatron doing his best G1 insane Galvy impersonation. I also don't get why Prime, the great military leader just resorts to "attack" quickly followed by "runaway" followed by "save me!"

I am hoping that RiD can start to move forward from poorly drawn and written fights to something with a story or it's going to lose my interest, it is already waning after just two issues. It's a shame as the art is awful and some of the secondary characters are well done, yet Kup is awfully cliche...
    I pretty much agree with everything here. I actually don't mind the art though Galvatrons alt-mode looks horrible. It's an interesting take how Prowl has embraced having the Constructicons as his personal gang - I was kinda hoping during Dark Cybertron that somehow Scrapper would come back to life like Metalhawk but this is more interesting and seeing Prowl fully intergrated into Devestator instead of just a couple of red horns on the big D's head looked really cool.

Spoiler free ahead, I have many thoughts about this one, but the key points for me were:

Nosebleeds??? Interesting.

Skywarp all tied up... Interesting.

Prowl once again showing he is waaaay ahead of everyone, but still not as clever as he could be... Interesting.

Humans show their cards... Interesting.

Ancient Cybertron and A.T. have more to show... Interesting. Also I have a feeling we are going to get more characterisation for Nova and Galvatron now that we should have gotten prior to Dark Cybertron.

Soundwave making a bigger play than anticipated, that would have needed to be setup prior to Dark Cybertron and I am guessing required the knowledge that Prowl would be too smart for his own good... Very Interesting.

In all, the best RiD issue for a looooong time.

"Only five of me are halfwits."

"Yeah, everybody's sure of that."

"Did you just issue me an order, Spacebus?"

Some great lines this month.

The flashnacks (and the fact they took up half the issue) are what made this stronger. It was also good to see that the humans are not quite as hairbrained as they were portrayed. Still idiots, but they had their reasons and own desires in the deal.

Prowl also has humans and human nature correct. The planet would be far better off if we were wiped out!