View Poll Results: Will you get a UW Bruticus?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 60.00%
  • Only if the price is right

3 15.00%
  • No

3 15.00%
  • Not interested in the slightest

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review UW Bruticus & Combaticons

Default Toy Review UW Bruticus & Combaticons

Series - Generations
    Sub-line – Unite Warriors
    Size/class - Deluxe x4 + Voyager x 1
    New/remould/redeco – Redeco
    Released here - No
    Approximate Retail Price – 13000Yennies
    Approximate Size – 30cm when combined
    Allegiance – Decepticon/ Combaticons
    Alt-mode – Military (mostly) vehicles
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Can combine with others to Bruticus/Has a space shuttle member.
    Main Colours – Blue/purple/silver/brown
    Main Accessories – 4 Feethand guns. Individual Bots guns

Series - Generations
    Sub-line – Unite Warriors
    Size/class - Deluxe x1
    New/remould/redeco – New (? )
    Released here - No
    Approximate Retail Price – 13000Yennies (part of Bruticus)
    Approximate Size – 12cm
    Allegiance – Decepticon/ Combaticons
    Alt-mode – A future Space shuttle
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Can combine with others to Bruticus/ Is a space shuttle member.
    Main Colours – Purple and brown
    Main Accessories –Feethandgun and a mini pistol thing

Thought I'd pop up a review for the UW Combaticons since I've recieved them. Gonna start with Blast Off since he's the newest mold and has generated the most debate.

Blast Off here is an interesting fellow. His vehicle doesn't quite tickle my fancy as much as a real shaped shuttle would. Unless there's some new model of shuttle kicking around somewhere. I wondered why they just didn't remodel the helicopters into a space shuttle. But thinking about it, it'd be a bit too much of change for the character and wouldn't look anythign like his animation model, nor his toy.

With his new body, although he looks a tad weird in vehicle mode he generally hits the right notes for robot mode. The Booster feet are a nice touch and I rather like his big chest as I always saw him as a rival for Cosmos, who's main weakness is his bulkiness and chunky bod being unsuitable for gravity. With Blast off being chunky as well, I get the same feel. Nice.

He's rather pose-able and good fun. With an absolute BUTT load of ports on him. You thought Rook's big hand mode was cool? Blast off has that
    AND MORE!

HIGH 35 guys!

I actually forgot I could possibly add one each onto the side of his legs.

Even though his vehicle mode is a bit , his arm mode and leg mode look pretty good. Another reason why I prefer the new body to a remoulded helicopter, it adds bulk to Bruticus. I think it would suck if you had Swindle and Brawl as legs, and then two skinny robot helicopter(ish)arms. With Blastoff on board, Bruticus has his weedy shield arm as well as a blammo arm.

Summary: I rather like Blastoff. His shuttle mode is a bit naff, but the robot mode is fun and his limb modes are very nice.

Shameless plug time, check my video review. It has the transformation in it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y59X9xIiBJg

And my wonderful voice.

And some Queen.

What more could you want?

just picked my set up from the post office.

First thoughts:

Onslaught's joints are tight. Really tight. I'm liking the new Bruticus chest plate, but not sure that I prefer the silver head over the Hasbro version there. The main colour is a lot more blue than the muted teal of Hasbro's version, more inline with their FOC Onslaught colour wise - neither here nor there for me.

Swindle is basically the same colour, just a few highlights and colour changes (Black weapon/canopy bars are now silver) and the front bonnet is now purple. Chest is more silver now, but there's still plenty of the purple - I think I prefer the Takara version here.

Brawl is as Swindle, mostly the same, just a few extra silver highlights. That head however, sucks imo, no need for the red and yellow there. May swap the head over, otherwise Hasbro is a winner.

Vortex I'm not sure about, I really like the dark colours here, and the extra two rotors add some differentiation from Blades/Alpha Bravo, but I really do like the colours on the Hasbro one, they just pop.

Blast Off is quite obviously a brand new mould, props to Takara for attempting a space shuttle'ish design, but I think this one's no where near as good as their DLX Groove. If they'd used this mould for one of the members of Victorion, there'd have been a lot of "sexists" calls made as the chest is huge and he's got trouble keeping his legs together.

Colour-wise the light brown is a little too light, I'd have preferring more of Hasbro's Blast Off colour scheme here (which we may get if Hasbro release it later on in the year...).

Overall not a terrible mould, but far from the best of the CW moulds I've seen so far.

Unlike Hasbro Bruticus' generaic grey bits, Swindle and Brawl's extremity piece is in the same colour as their base plastic, while Blast Off and Vortex' are a gunmetal great, with a little metallic sheen to it.

In conclusion, I'm a little 50/50 over this set, it's not an essential upgrade over the Hasbro release, but it's still more (imo) than any of the other UW sets so far released, and with a little mix and match, I might end up with my "perfect" Bruticus.

How's the overall combined mode? One of my friends said when combined, all the joints are quite loose and floppy

Got mine today. The legs of Blastoff don't peg together well, any thoughts?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by TAAUBlaster View Post
    How's the overall combined mode? One of my friends said when combined, all the joints are quite loose and floppy
    usual forward lean with that torso mould, but nothing's loose apart from Blast Off's legs, in fact a lot of the joints are tighter, Onslaught especially.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    usual forward lean with that torso mould, but nothing's loose apart from Blast Off's legs, in fact a lot of the joints are tighter, Onslaught especially.
    Shame about Blast Off's legs, but hearing the rest of them are tighter puts my mind at ease a little.

Blastoof's legs in shuttle mode seem to stick together fairly well for me.

I got a replacement set because my Onslaught had a fused knee. As a bonus, the replacement blastoff is sturdier than mt reviewed one. Onslaught is fine, but my Vortex has some slightly misshaped helicopter blade holder hings. Like they've not been glued well enough. I can't be arsed replacing the set again, but I reckon I can fix it myself easily enough.

Also helps that Vortex is the one I like the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Got mine today. The legs of Blastoff don't peg together well, any thoughts?
    I found with blastoff, some fine adjustments to the ball jointed hips and his swivel thighs as you plug them together manages to get his legs stuck together a bit more effectively.

Video review #2, Vortex.
    Once again, please check out the intro
    Vortex is next and while I like him more than Alpha Bravo, I still don't like the Helicopter mode all that much. Still can't put my finger on it. The civilian style nose? The length of the body? The squareness of the back? The arms off the side? The missiles? No idea. Luckily the rest of the toy is fairly solid, but I wish he had a bot more to differentiate him from the other helicopter bots on the CW/UW line.

just got mine today! i don't have the CW version but I do have CW Defensor. I've gone through the instructions and seen a couple of videos of Hot Spot and Onslaught now and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with his knees. There just doesn't seem to be anything that looks secure or peggy or tabby or whatever. I think I'm gonna have to meet up with someone and watch them do it So Blast Off and Brawl are new and this is my first Swindle. My Brawl seems a little loose in places also, especially that sort of abs/torso area. I haven't tried combining yet, that will wait until tomorrow. The colours on Blast Off seem a little...clashy, like the tan/mustard/light brown bits are too bright and don't match the rest. I dunno. If I find one still around I might even be tempted to get the Hasbro one. So far overall my early impressions are just positive, but not amazing. I will have to keep playing and posing and combining in the future to see how it goes.