Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: to become a local TF seller?

I say forget it. Too hard and there's no money to be made in the race to the bottom. Get a real job if you don't have one already!

Uh-oh, I too have knowingly imported, continue to knowingly possess, and have commercially dealt with FansProject City Commander.
    Even worse, just this day the Toyworld Swamper and FansProject MADLAW I picked up on my recent travels arrived in Australia! I'm triply guilty!!! More than triply!!!!! I have, like, more than 10 3rd Party Knock-Offs!* Maybe even more than 12! Please, please, don't take my RotF Voyager Bludgeon's HeadRobots head away from him, it's not his fault! He didn't know!
    Spare me, oh Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord (are we even allowed to write that here? I hope it's not making an Infringing Copy ), I promise I'll straighten all their badges, honest!

*Term not translated from the original Goktimus Primese.
    Quote Originally Posted by langzixinxin View Post
    The copy right issue does sound scary. Anyone who have both legal and transformer knowledge can elaborate on that? It sounds like I broke the law the day I order fansproject city commander from robotkingdom?
    It did sound like that, didn't it? Goki's quite passionate about all thing Transformers, and tends to be a bit on the Black-and-White side when it comes to The Rules. In this case there's actually a 10% shade of legal grey, and you can see it a lot better in China where most 3rd Party groups are based than here in Australia.
    Don't worry though, I'm sure he or one of our other more established Official-Only collectors will be happy to explain it from the cell next to you when they also get thrown into Collector-jail for possessing Knock-Offs as well.

The board owner and Moderators do ask that we keep talk of 3rd party stuff to the relevant section, but other than that don't worry too much about your incoming City Commander...the authorities probably won't send you to the electric chair.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 31st March 2017 at 12:56 PM.

Megatran Guest

Apart from the Unauthorised TF Products section (already mentioned via Ode's link), I think the other thread being referred to is the:
    Knock-Offs, Replicas, Copied TFs - Alerts and ID help (in the Ratchet's Repair Bay & ID/transformation Help sub-forum).
    Last edited by Megatran; 31st March 2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Wrong sub-forum quoted. Link added. Crisis averted.

The copy right issue does sound scary. Anyone who have both legal and transformer knowledge can elaborate on that? It sounds like I broke the law the day I order fansproject city commander from robotkingdom?
    TT have shown no inclination or initiative to shut down 3P or KO companies, so you'll be fine.

I'd suggeset that the biggest expenses relating to trying to sell transformers and similar locally is import expense. at the moment if you import more than AU$1000 worth of product in a single shipment you get charged, GST, Customs processing and an import duty on top of the value of your shipment. The GST scales with the value of your shipment, and I think the other two will scale away if you import enough stuff but this is well worth your looking into and fully understanding.

If you are going to hold stock here in Australia, how much warehouse space will you need. can you just use your garage or will you have to rent/buy warehouse space somewhere. This could be a large ongoing expense.

Like others have said, timely delivery, reasonable pricing and Excellent communication are key factors and can cost your business if not handled properly. Stay the hell away from facebook, it's a festering shithole when it comes to customer feedback and comments.

For a lesson in how bad it can go, look up TFIdownunder.
    the other large Australian based import site have been struggling with customer service for well over a year or two now. (Premium Collectables).

Both started with the best intentions I'm sure but I don't think they were prepared for the intensity that is transformers fans.

Both of those stores have been openly selling unofficial transformers related product for years now with no repercussion so I wouldn't worry too much about being pulled up for that.

If you are keen and dedicated I imagine it can be done but it's a small market and a big world, especially when competing against All other Australian and Asian specialty retail. If you decide to go ahead I wish you luck but it's not something I'd like to get into.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'd suggeset that the biggest expenses relating to trying to sell transformers and similar locally is import expense. at the moment if you import more than AU$1000 worth of product in a single shipment you get charged, GST, Customs processing and an import duty on top of the value of your shipment. The GST scales with the value of your shipment, and I think the other two will scale away if you import enough stuff but this is well worth your looking into and fully understanding.
    This is an excellent point and this is precisely why brick and mortar specialty collectable stores are now practically extinct in Australia. We all remember once upon a time when there were stores that you could walk into and buy things like Japanese exclusive Transformer toys. In Sydney we had stores like Sherriff's Mini Cars, Modeller's World, Cartoon Gallery, AV Superstore etc. -- Brisbane had Pippin's, Melbourne had that record store in Camberwell and Animezone (is it still around?) & that comic store in the CBD, and Perth has (had?) a comic store in the CBD which had direct imports too.

But these stores typically charged double RRP for Japanese figures because of all the import taxes, duties, levies etc. imposed on them by the government. To the consumer it just felt like rip-off prices through no fault of their own, unlike Toys R Us who charge double prices just cos they can. When Hasbro had those "Commemorative Series" G1 book box reissues which were mostly TRU exclusives here - TRU's prices were so expensive that they were almost the same price as purchasing a Takara Transformers Collection G1 book box reissue from a brick and mortar specialty import store! So you could buy say Commemorative Series Inferno with black missiles and no working launchers from TRU, or for about $5 more, you could go to a specialty import store and buy the Takara reissue with chromed missiles, working launchers, tech specs card and those collectable file cards. Little wonder that the TRU Hasbro reissues shelfwarmed badly! Or heck, when Kmart and TRU released Alternators here for almost the same price as what HLJ were charging for Binaltech! For roughly an extra $15 you could get the same toy with die-cast metal parts and nicer colours (and in Overdrive's case, a full barreled gun!).

But this all changed as online shopping became more popular. Independently owned small business importers ended up closing down and even TRU are feeling the brunt of online competition as we've seen them close down several stores, including their iconic Times Square store in NYC. And it's a shame that this has happened, because most of you know that I hate online shopping. I would much prefer buying toys from real stores than off the internet.

Default some update

Hi guys,

thank you again for the input. I got some update.

The guy who owns UT and dx9 said he's exporting to two US company, one UK company and one HK company. I guess we all know who they are.

Shipping by sea is not possible, due to tax reasons (China side). Shipping has to be air-parcel.

Many released toys are out of stocks from factory, future toys can only be available via preorder. I never preordered anything before and I always bought what I want. But finally I understand why preorder is there.

So i guess my next step would be calculate the possible sales price for some of the ut/dx9 toy lines. if it's not worth it, then forget about it. The actual process sounds easier than I thought tough. I really thought I have to do some toy engineering test for custom approvals.

Thumbs up KFC ultra magnus

hey guys,

I am still kinda considering/hesitating about this selling TF in AUS thing. I would like to do a quick market demand survey.

Let's take KFC ultra magnus, a 3rd party toy for example. I know it is not hot toy anymore, MP one is probably better in everyone's opinion. However, they are selling 60 AUD on taobao at the moment, I swear to the creator they are not KO. If I import at that price, cover some cost, put some margin, say I am gonna import 5 boxes.

Do you think there are still demand for that here? 5 toys for whe whole Australia TF funs?

While this one was out in the first place, I just couldn't wait to go back to China and bought in AUS for 150 AUD + 30 AUD shipping.

thx.

However, they are selling 60 AUD on taobao at the moment, I swear to the creator they are not KO.
    By legal definition all unauthorised toys are knock offs. They're not necessarily counterfeits, but they are knock offs. These toys are using the distinctive character likeness of a Transformer character without permission from Hasbro or TakaraTOMY. The term "knock off" is a broad umbrella term that covers a wide variety of intellectual property infringement, including counterfeits (copies designed to look just like the real thing), or original products that use the distinctive visual likenesses of someone else's intellectual property without their permission.

Note: I'm not looking to ignite a debate over this issue. I'm deliberately avoiding stating my opinion over this matter. I have not made any statement here showing that I am either for or against this. I am merely attempting to present or clarify facts. May I also respectfully remind folks to consult board rules 17 & 18. Thank you.

Default KO of KO

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    By legal definition all unauthorised toys are knock offs. They're not necessarily counterfeits, but they are knock offs. These toys are using the distinctive character likeness of a Transformer character without permission from Hasbro or TakaraTOMY. The term "knock off" is a broad umbrella term that covers a wide variety of intellectual property infringement, including counterfeits (copies designed to look just like the real thing), or original products that use the distinctive visual likenesses of someone else's intellectual property without their permission.

Note: I'm not looking to ignite a debate over this issue. I'm deliberately avoiding stating my opinion over this matter. I have not made any statement here showing that I am either for or against this. I am merely attempting to present or clarify facts. May I also respectfully remind folks to consult board rules 17 & 18. Thank you.
    oops, I meant, they are not KO of KO. or 4th party toys = KO of 3rd.