Page 43 of 141 FirstFirst ... 233338394041424344454647485363 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Photography - From Transformers to Non-Transformers

Talking Guile - The Ladies Man

"Pimpin' ain't easy"

60mm f/20 0.6sec ISO100

Nice shots VP! How did you get those colours with such a small aperture and fast shutter speed?

Here are some of my shots for the day, Hot Toys Bruce Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Nice shots VP! How did you get those colours with such a small aperture and fast shutter speed?
    Low Iso speed I would say.

Ok, so after my relative success with Scareglow, and having just recieved my SDCC Lightning Fury Raiden, I thought I would take some happy snaps.

Turns out that the few paint apps on Scareglow make all the difference. The abundance of murky white on Raiden makes it incredibly hard to get the sculpting details on him.

I even tried with a dark background, but had little success.

Luckily he looks pretty frikkin awesome without the lights on.

But with the only light source coming from him, the details are still too hard to capture. Afterwards I thought about a far softer lighting and gave it a quick try.

Which is OK for larger bits, but then the kanji on his sleeve and facial sculpting is still hard to caprture, although better with softer/less light.

Any ideas on how to get some reasonable details from this situation. Hmm, I have just noticed though, even to the naked eye, it's a bit hard to see the various bits and pieces details.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    "Pimpin' ain't easy"

*snip*

60mm f/20 0.6sec ISO100
    That's an awesome shot dude, it certainly looks like the equipment you've just bought, like lenses and light tent/cube, have definitely paid off!
    With that caption mind you, it immediately made me think back to this...

I miss those days.

*snip*
    Yours are excellent too Gamblor, no word of a lie man; that last shot looks so incredibly life-like it's insane!

I took the pics on aperture priority using my Tamron 60mm Macro lens with low ISO and lots of light (courtesy of light box illuminated with 2x5500k bulbs).

I actually had to adjust exposure compensation -1 due to too much light, so my guess would be the combination of the above.

(I've also noticed that the Tamron lens I use has excellent colour saturation when there's an abundance of light, so that could have something to do with it as well)

[IMG]--SNIP--[/IMG]

[IMG]--SNIP--[/IMG]

[IMG]--SNIP--[/IMG]
    Very very nice - that's such an awesome (and expensive) figure - so lifelike.

What settings are you taking those pics at?

Maybe for ultra realistic subjects (flesh coloured), perhaps change the bulbs on your light box for a warmer light to bring more realism to skin tones? (that's if they're the results you're seeking)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Any ideas on how to get some reasonable details from this situation. Hmm, I have just noticed though, even to the naked eye, it's a bit hard to see the various bits and pieces details.
    My suggestion would be to put the figure somewhere relatively dark (as opposed to well lit) and then use softer light bounced off something aimed directly at the subject.

Play with different angles of light aimed at the figure with a low ISO speed and the camera in aperture priority and adjust exposure compensation accordingly.

The shadows (contrast) should highlight the finer details that you want to bring out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    That's an awesome shot dude, it certainly looks like the equipment you've just bought, like lenses and light tent/cube, have definitely paid off!
    With that caption mind you, it immediately made me think back to this...

I miss those days.
    Thanks mate.

Lol@links.

Cheers guys it's getting there.

@Hursticon: Realism due to the awesome sculpting skills from the guys at Hot Toys.

I love the glow in the dark pics Tets. I think I'll have to break out my glow in the dark toys too.

@VP: I should have known, lighting is everything. I'm still using room lights (fluoro tube blue cast) with a shade over the top, so it looks a bit off. My settings are usually ISO100, f5.6, exposing for 1-3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    My suggestion would be to put the figure somewhere relatively dark (as opposed to well lit) and then use softer light bounced off something aimed directly at the subject.

Play with different angles of light aimed at the figure with a low ISO speed and the camera in aperture priority and adjust exposure compensation accordingly.

The shadows (contrast) should highlight the finer details that you want to bring out.
    Yeh, I was thinking I along those lines as well

I love the glow in the dark pics Tets. I think I'll have to break out my glow in the dark toys too.
    Thanks! I am going through a massive Glow in the dark thing lately, just can't enough of the stuff!!

"I shall call him; Mini-Swipe!".

@VP: I should have known, lighting is everything. I'm still using room lights (fluoro tube blue cast) with a shade over the top, so it looks a bit off. My settings are usually ISO100, f5.6, exposing for 1-3 seconds.
    Well you need to do something about the lighting then mate (with your fancy lightbox and all, you need to fully exploit it's full capabilities).

As for camera settings, do you shoot with a consistent focal length, or vary?

I found that with the standard kit lens, image sharpness and quality varies greatly depending on what focal length (and subsequent aperture/shutter setting) is used (more info here).

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime
    Well you need to do something about the lighting then mate (with your fancy lightbox and all, you need to fully exploit it's full capabilities).
    I'll get around to it

As for camera settings, do you shoot with a consistent focal length, or vary?

I found that with the standard kit lens, image sharpness and quality varies greatly depending on what focal length (and subsequent aperture/shutter setting) is used (more info here).
    I keep it around 50-55mm. I read the linked article, pretty interesting though the range of lens made my wallet cry