View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese

21 27.27%
  • Greek

3 3.90%
  • Hungarian

0 0%
  • Italian

5 6.49%
  • Japanese

5 6.49%
  • Maltese

1 1.30%
  • Spanish

4 5.19%
  • Tagalog

7 9.09%
  • Other

19 24.68%
  • I like machine language (none)

12 15.58%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What language (other than English) do you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As bad as cammyness sounds, it would be more (Latin) accurate than "cah-mine-us." But if you want to say it accurately then it's "KAH-mee-noos."

Or perhaps go with Cameronus Prime or Caimshrònus Prime; Caimshròn being the original Scots Gaelic form of Cameron. I think that Caimshròn might be pronounced as "calm shron" or "cow-shron"... and the "shron" may be "sron" or "sroyn," or I could be completely wrong. I'm really bad with Gaelic phonology because often the reading is so different from the spelling. Irish names are notoriously difficult to read if you've never encountered them before.

e.g.
    * Sean = we all know it's "shorn," but for a lot of people who come from non-Anglo/Celtic countries they may pronounce it as "seen" (rhyming with bean, dean, lean, mean, wean etc.)
    * Sinead = "shin-aid"; which non-Celts really only know because of Sinead O'Connor.
    The rest of these names have their readings spoiler tagged, so click and drag to reveal!
    * Áine = Awn-yeh
    * Aisling = Ash-ling
    * Aoife = Ee-fah
    * Béibhinn = Bevin
    * Brid = Brij
    * Caoimhe = Kwee-vah
    * Cathal = Cah-hull; Irish form of "Charles."
    * Clodagh = Kloh-dah
    * Dearbhail = Dervil
    * Eibhilin = Aye-leen
    * Grainne = Grawn-yah
    * Laoise = Leesha
    * Méadhbh =Mayv
    * Niamh = Neev
    * Oisin = Oosh-een
    * Pádraig = Paw-rick
    * Saoirse = See-or-shah
    * Siobhan = Sher-vorn
    * Tagh = Teeg
    And I do have or have had students with some of these names! (it's funny when we try to render them in Kanji )

Although another cool thing about keeping Cameron in there is that it's also a reference to a planet from G1 (where Optimus Prime's original body was ultimately found on Cameron's moon of VsQs in the Matrix Quest). So if you could hybridise the name Cameron and Caminus, then you'd actually be referencing two planets from Transformers lore! Camironus Prime?
    That's an awesome piece of lore i didn't know! I will probably stick with Caminus prime because I've started to use that for a few things and I'm kinda attached to it now :P, Plus its meaning of Forge or Flame is great of course!
    wonder if i could update it here without making a new account aha

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    A lot of those terms you just mentioned are still quite popular in online gaming.
    Gaming's for kids!
    (says the grown man who plays with toys ) </jkz>
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobot1995 View Post
    wonder if i could update it here without making a new account aha
    Ask griffin.

Some interesting little videos...
    How did English evolve?
    How languages evolve
    Bear in mind that these are TedEd videos which are meant for school children, so it's light on detail and somewhat simplified for the target audience. Teachers often use TedEd vids to introduce kids to concepts or topics which they then discuss in further detail in class, but these videos themselves are not intended to be online lessons (such videos would be much longer!).

Megatran Guest

Whilst we're on the topic of names, how do people pronounce Letitia?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Whilst we're on the topic of names, how do people pronounce Letitia?
    On first read I sad Letisha, then I realised I needed to be more ghetto, so I settled with Ley-tee-shah
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Leh-tee-tee-ah. Although its original Latin spelling was Laetitia (lah-eh-tee-tee-ah), the Roman goddess of joy and celebration. I've only known one person with this name, but she (and everyone else) uses the diminutive form, "Lettie." I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Greek equivalent to Laetitia may be Euphrosyne (Εὐφροσύνη), daughter of Zeus and goddess of mirth. She was one of the Three Graces, the other two being Thalia (Θαλία; goddess of good cheer) and Aglaea (Ἀγλαΐα; goddess of splendour).

Megatran Guest

I thought guessed the name had French origins. As in pronounced Le-tit-ee-ah

There you go. Three different pronounciations from three people.

I've never had to call someone by this full name before, as I said, the only person I know with this name calls herself "Lettie" (cos we all know how Aussies love to abbreviate everything with "-ie" on the end ). Also spelt "Letty."

Variants include:
    French (Letitia) = "le-tee-seeyah" (2)
    English (Letitia) = "le-tissha" or "le-tee-shah" (2)
    Classical Latin (Laetitia) = "lah-eh-tee-tee-ah"
    Ecclesiastic Latin (Laetitia) = "lah-eh-teet-zee-ah"
    Spanish (Leticia) = "le-tee-see-ah"

Other variant and diminutive forms of this name include Leticia, Tish and Tisha.

Did my little experiment today. Went up to a native Japanese speaker and noticed that his son was wearing a Thomas and Friends^the Tank Engine jumper, so I asked him - in Japanese with the thickest 'Strine Bogan accent I could muster - 「機関車トーマスが好きですか?」("Key-can-shear Toh-mah-soo gar soo-key deh-soo-car?" = "Does he like Thomas the Tank Engine?"). Reading my Anglocisation of the sentence is actually closer to how I pronounced it, with a sharp rise in intonation at the end of the sentence, kinda like how Kath & Kim might ask a question. He gave me a puzzled look, so I repeated the question. He started laughing and told me that he didn't understand I word I was saying, so I repeated the question. I did this about 5 times. I should've deliberately made a grammatical mistake, like maybe changed the word order or used an incorrect particle or something, but I didn't -- grammatically I was correct, but I was using a super-duper thick Aussie accent. After 5 times he could understand half the sentence. He figured out that I was talking about Thomas the Tank Engine, but couldn't understand the rest of the sentence. After five attempts I just switched over to a proper Japanese accent and asked him a sixth time and he finally understood me and lawled over how bad my previous accent was.

Note: I gave him no warning or prior notice of any kind as to what I was up to. I just sprung it on him completely spontaneously to try and get an authentic reaction to see how much he could comprehend if I spoke just regular and even grammatically correct Japanese, just with "incorrect" pronunciation and intonation.

Accents are always fun. Mine is weird hash of Aussie & Chilean spanish. More than once I've gotten puzzled looks from Chileans when I've been back and actually a few times here.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

I was at work one day when a customer asked me which part of South Africa I came from. I was a bit shocked, although I've been told the sound of my accent is distinctive. I used to be the telephone voice guy for one job and regular customers could easily pick me when they met me in person.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    How about where you live? Are there any dialectal differences there? I lived in Saitama where there are no differences, although I sometimes confuse native Japanese speakers by telling them that I'm fluent in Saitama-ben. It's often followed by a confused pause and comments like, "There's a Saitama-ben?" or "But there isn't a Saitama-ben" (especially when I'm speaking to native Saitama people ). Nyuck nyuck nyuck.
    Apparently the local dialect (well, not that local, but most famous) is Banshu ben. Quite a rough dialect by the sounds of things. I learnt JP in Uni (forgetting quite a bit of it) and have been quite thrown by a few phrases of Kansaiben. Generally though, it's pretty easy to work out what's going on.
    わかない=わからへん etc.
    The only one that really threw me for a six was
    せいやへん
    Turns out it's just しません

I like exaggerating the strine in Japanese to some of my students as well, especially since quite a few of them ask me about accents in English. Luckily I have standard story #4 for that very situation.