Thread: Comic review: Robots in Disguise ongoing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sworc View Post
    Cat,

That's interesting to hear (or should it be read?) as I get the impression that MTMTE is the more appreciated of the two. For you, what gives RID the edge? Apologies, but I haven't watched much of the new BG so I don't get much from the comparison. BG is one of the many shows on my list to one day get around to watching though!

Also, would be interested in your views on #3 in comparison to the first two issues?
    Yep, More Than Meets The Eyes is definitely edging out RID for a large chunk of the readers, moreso than RID.

I enjoy the political side, and there are elements that share a common theme with Battlestar Galactica (which you REALLY need to see. Amazing show), which mirrors different aspects of the show: the world basically ended, now what do we do?
    - heavy politics, trying to placate and integrate separate factions
    - who do we trust? Is the enemy of my enemy my friend?
    - you expect us to live and integrate with those who actively destroyed us, and forced us into conflict, to abandon our life, and to flee our home.
    - can you truly be neutral? What is the cost of being neutral?

There are a few more things, but I don't want to inadvertently spoil and Battlestar for you. Less you know going in, the more shocking everything is.

I did enjoy issue 3. I know people had trouble with Prowl saying suicide when that was obviously physically impossible for Ratbat, but it worked well for me. An easy, glossy statement to try and move on and cover it up, with little regard to the Decepticons realising that's a lie. There are so many real life instances that mirror that, some in our lifetime, others in history - doing a patchjob to quiet the crowds, and hope they'll be Placated by a quick answer and move onto the next crisis. People's outrage tends to ebb and flow rather quickly.

I'm loving Starscream. What is he sincere about? It would appear that there are some honest statements mixed in with his lies. After all, the best lies contain a small amount of truth. What is his end goal? Leading the Decepticons? Hardly seems worth it right now. They're a shell of a people.

I think there's some really strong parallels you could draw between Prowl and Starscream at the moment.

So basically: they've finally got a utopia: a united Cybertronian population. How long before it starts to shatter? Early signs are already there, but who, if anyone, is aware of this?

Prowl is emerging as a kind of Alpha Trion. He has his own position, his own agenda, his own position. But would anyone listen to him ?

What does it mean that the one who seems to understand him the most is Starscream, a mass murderer, manipulator, and schemer.
    Last edited by Cat; 8th April 2012 at 11:30 PM.