Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who here knows about cars (real ones :) )?

You certainly chose the right time to upgrade to a larger car, not only do you have the average family cars all being sold due to high fuel prices flooding the market and making them cheaper, you also caught the tail end of the Fleet Car season, where all the corporations and councils trade in their 3 year old vehicles for new ones, and flood the market even more!

And as you will find out, finding parts for the Commodores, Falcons and Camry's is cheaper and easier, because there are hundreds of thousands of them sold. Anytime you need something you can head on down to pick 'n' payless and grab 3 or 4 of whatever you want!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I just came back from the Mechanics.

The car is in excellent condition and it has recently been serviced and excellently maintained. No work was needed to be done on the engine or any system. The only thing he did was replace a light bulb of the front right low beam which was failing.

The Mechanic also bought my old bomb for $150 and did the checking for free! I just need to take it to the RTA for the transfer thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The Mechanic also bought my old bomb for $150 and did the checking for free! I just need to take it to the RTA for the transfer thing.
    You went to a mechanic and left with more money than when you dropped your car off???

Mechanic probably got a good deal there, if the starter motor, radiator, alternator and other odds and ends are okay he can make some money off them, and then sell the body of the car for scrap. Still easier than trying to get rid of a seized up car yourself!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

as others have said, fords and holdens are so cheap and easy to maintain, with the right care and a bit of luck they can go 300-400k+ kms with only small fixes... parts are so readily available from pretty much any wrecker under the sun, and if you get yourself a gregorys manual you can do pretty much anything yourself if you have access to the right tools, some of the bigger jobs like head gasket etc are a bit harder, but servicing, brakes, things like cooling system and power steering pump etc can all be easily fixed even if you're only a little bit handy with tools..

Sorry a bit late to this thread but it played out exactly as I expected. There wasn't too much you could do to save your Daewoo Kup. Although you could of taken the car back, put some Chemiweld in to temporarily block the leak and traded it in yourself. Where as it's not exactly ethical in my book it is quite common practice for people trying to offload dead beaters.

Just a question. When you filled it with coolant and water did you have the engine running?

BTW thank you Rampage for mentioning my name and the word help in the same sentence. Always feels flattering when people think you can help
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503