RE: Superman Richard Donner editions.

I actually grew up watching those, so to me, they're the normal versions. Way back when Channel 10 aired them and my dad taped them... so that's what I've always seen. And yes, in the end of Superman II Clark gives Lois a special kiss which selectively erases parts of her memory (i.e. she forgets that Clark is Superman and that they were married); because Lois was unable to handle the emotional burden of having that knowledge.

One thing I liked about Superman Returns was how Clark's attempt to do this wasn't completely successful -- Lois has still forgotten that Clark is Superman, but she obviously must still have some vague memory that they were former lovers... whether or not she remembers Kal-El taking vows at the Fortress of Solitude or not isn't shown, but toward the end of the film we see Lois whispering in Superman's ear and telling him that Jason is his son (and Superman later visits Jason and delivers the same oration to him that Jor-El said to Kal-El as he placed him in the spacecraft that delivered him from Krypton to Earth).

I know some people didn't like Superman Returns, but I did. IMHO it's an underrated/underappreciated film. I like how it remained in continuity with the first two Christopher Reeve films rather than doing a reboot... I know some people wanted to see a reboot (and those people will get their wish when Man of Steel comes out), but I much prefer continuations over reboots.