Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30404546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to censor the Internet

Default Government to censor the Internet

Pure and simple it's about money and pleasing that Australian Overlord/Dictator Murdoch... it's sickening... he is also responsible for the truncated version of the NBN that this pathetic government is now peddling... once again money. Australia is being held back all for money/power.
    I use Netflix and Hulu and pay no more than $20/month with unblock-us. By buying itunes vouchers when they are on special (there is an app to track that) I never pay full price.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Foxtel is actually filled with ads. As bad or worse than free to air. It is pretty terrible and not worth the hefty cost.
    Wow, I thought the reason you paid was to avoid ads.

I watch the news and thats about it now. Rather have the TV turned off rather than sit down and watch all the crapola they call content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Wow, I thought the reason you paid was to avoid ads.
    That was when they 1st launched. Sooo many years ago.

No way I'd pay to watch ads. I can do that for free.
    I used to watch a lot of SBS On Demand, 7, 10 shows on my iPad apps as they didn't have ads...........now they do.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...-1227294106822

So... we're basically going to go back to hiring / ripping our own movies again like how it was 10 years ago. How are they going to stop that? I make better encodes anyway
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

So... we're basically going to go back to hiring / ripping our own movies again like how it was 10 years ago. How are they going to stop that? I make better encodes anyway
    I remember those days. Hiring 12 hours worth of DVDs on "cheap Tuesday" and returning them 4 hours later.

I got a few looks
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I wouldn't mind if they blocked game requests on FB. Just sayin'.

The decision by the Federal Court on the Dallas Buyers Club case shits me on so many levels. And no it's not just because they are cracking down on online piracy.

The fact that since this government has come into power, it's done nothing for the people that it is supposed to be working for. Instead they kowtow to the big multinationals to do their bidding yet don't enforce their obligations to the Australian society and economy.

The first thing on the agenda is to cut everything in the budget to hit the less fortunate of society and others working hard to make it by.

They have done nothing to create jobs but rather the opposite insisting "everyone has to do the heavy lifting". Wow, the pollies took a temporary wage freeze while everyone else will be getting nothing for the next few years. Oh and we must crack down on penalty rates too, can't have the average Joe and Jane scrapping by and shirking their responsibility to lift this country out of debt and cutting into business profit.

The big agenda item seems to be trying to control the internet for their boss Mr Murdoch trying to protect his revenue for an outdated business model called Foxtel. Well mate, with the influx of streaming companies such as Presto, Stan and Netflix coupled with ISP's offering free data for these companies, regardless of what measures to stop piracy, people will go to a service that provides them what they want at a reasonable price for a better product and when they want it.

Yet companies like Newscorp, Google, Apple etc dodge their tax obligations by shifting monies out through their tax haven arrangements with Ireland etc. Last week it was reported $11 billion was shift out of the country.

So because our government is a toothless dog with no backbone and doing nothing about enforcing and recovering tax monies owed to this country, they will just have to stick it to us by increasing the tax brackets and the GST tax as part of a recent White Paper study.

And what about house affordability being at all-time low? Do they crack down on the real estate cowboys of the industry or the dodgy Golden Visa scam?

It just seems this government does nothing for their citizens yet everything for the big end of town.

Ordinary people are doing it tough as it is, yet life seems to be getting harder, more stressful etc. Some days I feel I'm being taxed out of the country.

/End of rant - sorry I had to vent, feel better now

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I remember those days. Hiring 12 hours worth of DVDs on "cheap Tuesday" and returning them 4 hours later.

I got a few looks
    At least the people who spent time and money producing the movies actually got some money out of it, from the rentals.
    We all know that people would tape shows or copy Video Tapes/DVDs from other people or from rental places, but those were a fraction of the copies being made now... so at least before internet piracy, 1 or 2 copies were made from purchased copies, so more money per duplicate was going to the people who own the material. Now, there are thousands and millions of copies being made and shared from a purchased copy (and from hacked copies), meaning the owners get one sale per thousand-plus viewers instead of one sale per 2-3 viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

And that level of individual copying (and limited mass copying & sale of physical copies) is something that they don't care as much about because it involves a LOT more legal purchases per copy than digital downloads do. It's a bit like shoplifting - stores know that they will never completely stop it without spending more money than they'd save, so they take measures to prevent wholesale stealing by everyone, and then just factor in the small amount of losses into their prices.

After working with a number of people over the years who have been notorious free-loaders among their friends and relatives, I've never been a fan of free-loading. If there are options available to pay for something, I believe people should earn what they get... not get something as a handout or by actively avoiding to pay for it. That's like getting a $20 toy from a store for $1 by sticking a different barcode over, just because you think the big, nasty, soulless corporation makes too much money. But two wrongs don't make it right to justify it. We can survive without material possessions, so there is never a justification to avoid paying for something you don't need for your own survival.

I personally spend many many hours AND dollars running this site, so when I see people using it's resources for free without contributing anything in return (like interaction, info or sightings), it bugs me... but it would bug me more if this was a website that I was earning my living from, through subscription or advertising. It's the same with these music and TV/Movie producers, in that there are thousands of people behind the scenes involved in each project that are earning a living from it (just look at the list of credits at the end of a movie), but they only have a job if people pay for it. If too many people don't pay for it, then there are a lot of people on the production side that are out of a job, and since there is no face to the consequences to digital theft, people would rather focus on an associated mega-corporation that is tied to the project.

As a story writer, if I eventually have books published and people were downloading them without paying for it, I'd do the same as the "Dallas Buyers Club" movie producers... in that I'd be pursuing those people who are reading my books from unauthorised sources. And if the internet service providers have records of those people because they were the middle-men, it would be no different than asking the internet service providers to list who has been interacting on a paedophilia site.

/end rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja View Post
    The decision by the Federal Court on the Dallas Buyers Club case shits me on so many levels. And no it's not just because they are cracking down on online piracy.

The fact that since this government has come into power, it's done nothing for the people that it is supposed to be working for. Instead they kowtow to the big multinationals to do their bidding yet don't enforce their obligations to the Australian society and economy.

The first thing on the agenda is to cut everything in the budget to hit the less fortunate of society and others working hard to make it by.

They have done nothing to create jobs but rather the opposite insisting "everyone has to do the heavy lifting". Wow, the pollies took a temporary wage freeze while everyone else will be getting nothing for the next few years. Oh and we must crack down on penalty rates too, can't have the average Joe and Jane scrapping by and shirking their responsibility to lift this country out of debt and cutting into business profit.

The big agenda item seems to be trying to control the internet for their boss Mr Murdoch trying to protect his revenue for an outdated business model called Foxtel. Well mate, with the influx of streaming companies such as Presto, Stan and Netflix coupled with ISP's offering free data for these companies, regardless of what measures to stop piracy, people will go to a service that provides them what they want at a reasonable price for a better product and when they want it.

Yet companies like Newscorp, Google, Apple etc dodge their tax obligations by shifting monies out through their tax haven arrangements with Ireland etc. Last week it was reported $11 billion was shift out of the country.

So because our government is a toothless dog with no backbone and doing nothing about enforcing and recovering tax monies owed to this country, they will just have to stick it to us by increasing the tax brackets and the GST tax as part of a recent White Paper study.

And what about house affordability being at all-time low? Do they crack down on the real estate cowboys of the industry or the dodgy Golden Visa scam?

It just seems this government does nothing for their citizens yet everything for the big end of town.

Ordinary people are doing it tough as it is, yet life seems to be getting harder, more stressful etc. Some days I feel I'm being taxed out of the country.

/End of rant - sorry I had to vent, feel better now
    Yes... we need serious economic and tax reform, for all people, not just the mega rich (laws are created with the politicians and their financial backers in mind). But both major parties are more focused on each other than on the needs of the people, so everything gets blocked in the Federal Senate and criticised by the media, regardless of if it is a bad policy or a good policy. Which has meant a stalling of the economy in the last eight years, because it is more important to buy votes with things we want (like handouts), than giving us what we need by making the hard decisions and serious reforms.
    The world and its economy is evolving all the time, so policy and reforms need to be ongoing to keep up, but just like in the early 70s, Australia has stalled since 2007, to the point of having New Zealand now considered a stronger economy than ours.