So we've got review threads on Toys, TV, Comics and Movies... Why not one for Music?

If you've got an Album or Single, or just a particular piece of music you'd like to say a couple of words about? - This is the place to post it.

I'll kick things off with a recent album I purchased - The debut, self-titled album of BABYMETAL.

When I first heard of BABYMETAL I was honestly rather curious; I knew that there was a sizeable Metal fanbase within Japan with a number of great bands, but I'd never really heard a lot of Japanese Idol (J-Pop) music before - "What would this combination of styles sound like?" I wondered...

The result, both audibly & visually, was immediately striking and surprising, hooking me nigh immediately!

Sure, as someone who can't speak or read Japanese there IS a language barrier, but that hurdle existed for me with Rammstein 16 years ago and that German outfit MADE me a fan of Heavy Metal - So in a way, this has somewhat felt like a welcome journey down a familiar road.
(As with Rammstein, I've done my lyrical research here BUT this isn't imperative to enjoy what's on offer)

Su-metal, Yuimetal & Moametal, the Lead & Support vocalists respectively, are a heavenly-sonic contrast to the backdrop of superbly heavy riffs and beats that are firmly upfront & personal on every track of this album - The words I'd most associate here is "Catchy" & "Suitably Headbang Worthy".

Amongst the Heavy yet Pop-y tunes that make up the vast majority of this record's palette; Hip-Hop, Dance, Dub-Step & even Beach music make an appearance but are very-VERY lightly sprinkled on a handful of tracks, never overstaying their welcome and it feels like this has been a very conscious decision - I approve of this approach, coming from a Metal-fan's perspective.

Thus far, my favourite tracks would have to be: ヘドバンギャー!!"Headbangya!!" (Headbanger!!), 悪夢の輪舞曲 "Akumu no Rondo" (Rondo of Nightmare), 紅月-アカツキ- "Akatsuki" (Crimson Moon Dawn) and おねだり大作戦 "Onedari Daisakusen" (Begging Operation) ...with the albums singles of: メギツネ "Megitsune" (Female Fox), イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ "Ijime Dame Zettai" (No More Bullying) and ギミチョコ!! "Gimme Choco" (Gimme Chocolate!!) all coming in at a close 2nd and worthy of mention.

What you have here in BABYMETAL's self-titled debut album, is an experiment & gamble with rather remarkable results.

The fusion of Japanese Idol & Heavy Metal music genres is one that will initially stop many people in their tracks and say: "Huh?", but if you're someone who is open-minded with their musical tastes, likes Heavy Metal &/or likes catchy Pop tunes? - Definitely check out what's offered here.

I look forward to BABYMETAL's next efforts (Hopefully another album ) and wish them continued success!
(Judging by the results of their current World tour, no Aussie dates set sadly, they seem to be having plenty of it )