Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    We have a Wii at the moment and it doesn't get a lot of play time, makes it hard to justify the purchase of a WiiU, how do you guys feel about the new larger controller? It looks interesting to me, but cumbersome.

I get the impression from the post above that older Metroid Games can be purchased digitally through the wii U shop? if that is the case i'd be more interested for sure.
    So far, metroid, super metroid and metroid fusion (metroid 4) gba are available.. I'm hoping the re-release the wii games in hd!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I don't see any future with Nintendo systems as they are cutting cost and everything as their sales are really bad. I think they have left the console world.

Basically I supported wii while it lasted and though the concept was fresh, it went off trend real quick. The x-box kinetic pretty much killed them.

Have not been playing my wii for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I don't see any future with Nintendo systems as they are cutting cost and everything as their sales are really bad. I think they have left the console world.

Basically I supported wii while it lasted and though the concept was fresh, it went off trend real quick. The x-box kinetic pretty much killed them.

Have not been playing my wii for a long time.
    I also have similar predictions. Nintendo won't be in the console race for much longer given their current persistence on a failed business plan - One could even argue they are already out of it since it is rarely compared to the XBox or PS. It is not too late to change course but they would have to do that very soon and I doubt anyone there at the moment has the vision or courage to do so.

Their handhelds are getting close to the power of the last gen (PS2/XB1) consoles, so that's not a bad move for them to focus solely on the portable systems. They more or less own the market (bar the rapid rise in popularity of phones as gaming systems)

If Ninty does leave the console market next generation, it would be very interesting to see if they still used their licenses for Sony and Microsoft, much like Sega does now. If they made an exclusive deal with one (Sony, due to their strength in Japan?) that would give that console a massive advantage.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Their handhelds are getting close to the power of the last gen (PS2/XB1) consoles, so that's not a bad move for them to focus solely on the portable systems. They more or less own the market (bar the rapid rise in popularity of phones as gaming systems)

If Ninty does leave the console market next generation, it would be very interesting to see if they still used their licenses for Sony and Microsoft, much like Sega does now. If they made an exclusive deal with one (Sony, due to their strength in Japan?) that would give that console a massive advantage.
    Nintendo and Sony have a bitter history so not sure if they want to revisit that. However having said that there is legacy between Nintendo and Sony as the PS1 is basically a result of their initial but failed collaboration.

PS1 prototype 'Nintendo's Play Station' - Basically a Playstation 1 that uses SNES cartridges as well as discs. Note the SNES controller and compatible ports.

If Nintendo seizes to be in the home console race and decide to license their games, I would prefer it if they release it on Playstation for legacy reasons as well as my own preference for consoles. I own a PS3 only because I like the exclusive games. The Xbox doesn't really appeal to me much or at all.

The doomsaying would be hilarious if it weren't so sad (and made sadder by the reference of 'baby' games--which is extra ironic when those complaints come from people who collect childrens toys). This is what people have been saying, ad nasueum, since the Gamecube. Over a decade ago. Hell it probably started with the 64. The 3DS is practically unstoppable with sales, and the Wii U is slowly picking up. The problem is the number of people who dismiss it for no reason.

There are more than enough games, ports, original, rereleases, sequels. Check the eShop. The gamepad is incredibly comfortable, not cumbersome at all (though the battery is a problem), and switching between things like the Game, Miiverse, the browser is all done very easily. Without actually leaving the game your playing--you tap the Home Menu button, and away you go.

Plus the idea that Nintendo would become a software house? Are you kdiding? Nintendo is the kind of company that would take every single IP it owns to the grave if need be. Which i don't think anyone wants. But I guess Nintendo's biggest problem is not enough FPS /not enough 'grim n gritty'/not enough 'mature' games to help people feel more 'adult' and 'bad arse'. *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    The doomsaying would be hilarious if it weren't so sad (and made sadder by the reference of 'baby' games--which is extra ironic when those complaints come from people who collect childrens toys). This is what people have been saying, ad nasueum, since the Gamecube. Over a decade ago. Hell it probably started with the 64. The 3DS is practically unstoppable with sales, and the Wii U is slowly picking up. The problem is the number of people who dismiss it for no reason.

There are more than enough games, ports, original, rereleases, sequels. Check the eShop. The gamepad is incredibly comfortable, not cumbersome at all (though the battery is a problem), and switching between things like the Game, Miiverse, the browser is all done very easily. Without actually leaving the game your playing--you tap the Home Menu button, and away you go.

Plus the idea that Nintendo would become a software house? Are you kdiding? Nintendo is the kind of company that would take every single IP it owns to the grave if need be. Which i don't think anyone wants. But I guess Nintendo's biggest problem is not enough FPS /not enough 'grim n gritty'/not enough 'mature' games to help people feel more 'adult' and 'bad arse'. *rolls eyes*
    Yeah, I wouldn't say MORE than enough, but there are certainly more games on it than xbone or ps4 and they are great games including the 3p games.. I agree with just about everything you say mate about the comfortable controller and how easy it is to access the net. Yes people do write it off before giving it a bash. I have mates come over all the time that never rated it until they actually play it and every time they're opinions change. Playing batman arkham city/origins on the wii u is so much better than ps3 it really does just break out of the same old boring routine. They should never put their games on another platform and yes Iwata said that the company would be well and truly under before that happened.. The screen is Hd on the controller nothing laggy or messy there and it's just great to take it to the bedroom and play the games in there if I don't feel like being in the lounge. If my girl wants to watch here really interesting cooking or building shows lol, I can play the wii u on the controller.

I don't agree with this. Just go to your nearest EB store and check the Wii/Wii-U and even the 3DS library. A lot of it are these sorts of games:

This is what I am calling Baby games because they freaking are. A good game doesn't have to be FPS (Boring!) or dark and gritty. It just has to be enjoyable for people above the age of 6.

Nintendo does have great games but they get released once in a blue moon and most of their franchises are not 'gritty' or FPS and still good with wide praise from hardcore gamers. We need more frequency of decent to good game that anyone would want to play - That was what made the NES and SNES so successful. As you mentioned, when they begun to move away from that, a gradual decline occurred and we are witnessing its impact today.

Just so you know, Nintendo publishing games in non Nintendo platforms is not unheard of. Not counting the CD-i abortions, there were a series of Mario educational games for PC.
    Last edited by kup; 28th May 2014 at 10:43 AM.

The Wii U is just the best. I really don't have a desire to get a PS4 or XBox One at all, and there are more than enough games for it.

I couldn't imagine playing Arkham City or Deus Ex on anything else, ever, anymore. It's just a shame so many people dismiss for no real reason (or the really classy people who try and prove their 'maturity' by ranting about how it's for kids. Erm, no. It's for everyone.)
    The PS3 is just the best. I really don't have a desire to get a WiiU or XBox One at all, and there are more than enough games for it.

I couldn't imagine playing Arkham City or Deus Ex on anything else, ever, anymore. It's just a shame so many people dismiss for no real reason (or the really classy people who try and prove their 'maturity' by ranting about how FPS' and Dark and Gritty games are dumb. Erm, I know it's not for everyone, but it's for me. And that is all that matters.)

And I'll probably be getting a PS4 for Christmas. Based on the games that have been announced plus what is guaranteed to be released, I'm looking forward to it.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I will be agreeing with Kup, the nintendo games are more family games orientated than what PS4 or Xbox are at with more mature audiences. This is where I think Nintendo has fell off track and didn't pick themselves up.

The thing is this, I think when you see a Assassins creed release, you see that xbox and PS will be definite first on advertising than Wii showing theirs released a bit later.

I didn't go on the Wii U wagon just simply based on this. However, I didn't rush to buy a PS4 this time either because I do not really see the boost in technology and I am just holding out till they totally discard the good PS3 console.