Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Action Comics #1 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    What does that mean, Shape? They drycleaned it or something?
    Its a controversial form of restoration. They put the book through some sort of machine that flattens it out. In this case its bumped it up one grade and virtually doubled its value. Everyone thought it was an unknown copy but its not. I want to win that 70million lotto now he he

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Its a controversial form of restoration. They put the book through some sort of machine that flattens it out. In this case its bumped it up one grade and virtually doubled its value. Everyone thought it was an unknown copy but its not. I want to win that 70million lotto now he he
    Is there a link to an article that claims this occurred with this issue, because I tried searching for a dispute or controversy, but failed to see anything on this auction.

For anyone interested in some extra homework, this is a link to the previous record issue of US$2.161 million in 2011, and an article that claims it was Nicholas Cage's copy (describing how it went missing for 11 years from a robbery).

They were discussing it on the cgc boards (awesome board if you like vintage comics)

http://boards.collectors-society.com...927200&fpart=1

Hmmm... someone said it used to be 8.0 but doesn't say how they know, and someone else says it was pressed, but also doesn't say how they know.
    I had another look on the ebay listing to see if I missed it being mentioned but still couldn't see anything.
    Those two people appear to have significant history on that site, so maybe they are just referring to something that only hardcore comic collectors know about... kinda like hardcore collectors of Transformers have an idea of who owns the rarest Transformers (like those Gen2 Stunticons).

Yeah can't be 100% sure. But that is the site for comics like this. There was another huge thread on there about it. The action #1s are all accounted for. Apparently this was the 'dentists' copy. He bought it in the early 80s for around 20k

Yeah can't be 100% sure. But that is the site for comics like this. There was another huge thread on there about it. The action #1s are all accounted for. Apparently this was the 'dentists' copy. He bought it in the early 80s for around 20k
    i think i may be reading the thread that you're referring to. I'm up to page 26 of 87. i really should be asleep but this is interesting stuff... like the graders notes, The Dentist, Church copy. It'sall Greek to me, but very interesting.

thats a nice payday for ebay too with their fees...
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

They were discussing it on the cgc boards (awesome board if you like vintage comics)

http://boards.collectors-society.com...927200&fpart=1
    Wow read only 2 pages but it felt like I was in room with rocket scientists!! Ha ha

General consensus feel the upgrade of grading is sort of rip off

And it's over 2 mil. with just under 5 days to go.
    +/- 3.25's my guesstimate.

Lets start a pool...

I am on 2,900,092

Winner is the closest within $1000