Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MP45 Bumblebee 2.0 (cartoon version)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I really don't mind how it looks, but MP-21 looks great, does the job, very well.
    I do feel that the general fan reaction to the appearance of B2 is excessively negative.
    Well it's mostly kind of the usual negative that all MP's will now provoke till the end of time, obviously price is a factor, but the other one is that they are remaking characters already released and collectors have this strange expectation that Takara are actually going one day fill out the entire MP line rather than remake the cash cows that are the big four over and over again, with the occasional new character mixed in. I'm pretty sure I predicted a sort of reboot of the MP line every decade a while back on these boards.

As for excessive animation accuracy, well maybe, but they need to find a reason to re-make Bumblebee, Optimus, Megatron and Starscream every few years, I mean look at the main line we get those characters every second year or more. Much like in movies it's all about playing it safe and remaking what's popular again and again.

The new look altmode is very cute - if the price tag was lower I’d be tempted to grab this, despite already owning the last MP Bee

When was MP21 released? 5 years ago? MP10? That'd be almost 10 years now. I think people are *slightly* exaggerating the amount of times a new mould of an existing figure gets rereleased.

Galvatran Guest

For three times the price it's got no hope of satisfying my expectations.
    I'm pretty sure someone will try & make the case. I'll summarise.
    - Chibi chibi chibi version
    - High degree of transformation engineering design.
    - Long life rubber tyres (it better be or Autobots are screwed against Insecticons attack)
    - Nailed the yellow colour
    - Plastic is more expensive than die cast metal
    - Manufacturing cost has shot up
    - Takara needs to be profitable to ensure investment in future MPs so pleeeeeeeease support by buying two or three or more
    - It's worth 3+ times that of Bumblebee v1.
    - Accessories including massive memorable backpack... hmmmmm

Is it me or has Takara's swing towards Animation accurate gone too far.
    I suppose TakaraTOMY have decided that they want jumped-off-the-screen accuracy, since there are collectors who want what they saw on TV as children but couldn't get. Of course, G1 was notorious form this because Floro Dery was taking some big liberties with the toys when it came to character designs.

Since those Floro Dery character models were never meant to work as actual physical objects, it's pushed designers and engineers to come with some seriously impressive figures, but the prices have likewise jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    When was MP21 released? 5 years ago? MP10? That'd be almost 10 years now. I think people are *slightly* exaggerating the amount of times a new mould of an existing figure gets rereleased.
    MP-21 was released in November 2014.

Of the other characters to have received substantial remoulds if not all-new versions (not just redecos):

Optimus had MP-1 in December 2003, MP-10 in September 2011, and MP-44 is due for release in August of this year.

Starscream had MP-3 in September 2006, and MP-11 in March 2012.

Megatron had MP-5 in March 2007, and MP-36 in April 2017.

I personally would've preferred to see the Spike figure moulded with the yellow hardhat on. It would help to make it different from MP10's Spike and Spike did sometimes wear his hardhat when riding with Bumblebee in the cartoon, so it is canonically accurate.

Ok I worked out why this guy is so expensive. Takara has fitted out Bee with a colour change feature. See the Amazon Japan listing photos, two show Bee as yellow and the rest are orange. This is incredible!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/タカラトミー-TAKA.../dp/B07NF4NX5G

Preorders up on Amiami for Y10,180 for those interested.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=FIGURE-046080

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I suppose TakaraTOMY have decided that they want jumped-off-the-screen accuracy, since there are collectors who want what they saw on TV as children but couldn't get. Of course, G1 was notorious form this because Floro Dery was taking some big liberties with the toys when it came to character designs.

Since those Floro Dery character models were never meant to work as actual physical objects, it's pushed designers and engineers to come with some seriously impressive figures, but the prices have likewise jumped.

MP-21 was released in November 2014.

Of the other characters to have received substantial remoulds if not all-new versions (not just redecos):

Optimus had MP-1 in December 2003, MP-10 in September 2011, and MP-44 is due for release in August of this year.

Don't forget MP-04. I'm guessing around 2006ish

I'm definitely a collector that wants MP's that are screenish accurate, but I really like the realistic vehicle - what the animation might have looked like if they had more time and budget robot mode to make it look more like it came from a vehicle.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post

Surely this is a lighting issue ?!?!?! Otherwise all this time, money and effort to create a more cartoon accurate Bee (from the front at least) and they STILL can’t get the colour right.
    It’ll be canary yellow. Gone are the days when you’d see a Hasui prototype and you’d clench your butt cheeks hoping he’d get the colours right.

Every MP after orange-bee has been spot on except lavender-wave.