Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

I have bathed so many Jetfires in H2O2, gotta love that stuff.

I thought that I would bring it to everyone's attention that the Fortress Maximus parts that I kept which I used Hydrogen Peroxide on (I sold the bulk of the toy on ebay) have had some of the yellow return after 2 years of being in storage.

I'll quote myself in this thread:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...943#post330943

Quote Originally Posted by Supergodginrai View Post
    Hi, I just wonder after so many months of your whitening work n FM. Does the yellowing come back?

I ask so as after I have whitening my Grand Maximus, the yellowing returns after 1 to 2 months..it is very sad..
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    Sorry for the belated reply to your question.

Yes, some of the yellow has returned in part. After two years in storage the whitening process is only a temporary solution. Although the yellowing is not like it was before, I would say as a rough estimate that the fort max parts I still have (I ended up selling the one in the photos except for a few parts) about 25 percent of the yellow has returned. And this is after storage in a dark cupboard!
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

The same thing happened to my G1 Vroom. After the H2O2 it came out a minty white. I put it in a place where it was in complete darkness, away from light, humidity, heat and humanity but it still re-yellowed!

It seems that it is just the 'nature' of the plastic to yellow. You can only 'reset it' with the H2O2 but that won't prevent the yellow from coming back.

Used h2o2 paste for the first time on the weekend for my slightly yellowed great shot. Quite impressed . Virtually all the yellowing gone after 2 days. Will wait and see how long it lasts

My getaway has yellowed again after a year. Been in darkness too. Sad he was looking so good.:-(

I wonder how many people will use this stuff to whiten a toy then sell it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    I wonder how many people will use this stuff to whiten a toy then sell it to an unsuspecting buyer.
    Is there a negative of that though? The H2O2 fully reverses the yellowing to a mint state, the problem is that the plastic by it's 'nature' is prone to yellowing unless it is kept in a perfect environment for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    My getaway has yellowed again after a year. Been in darkness too. Sad he was looking so good.:-(
    I had the same thing happen here, he even looks more yellowed than I remember. Thinking I should just sell him and forget he exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    I had the same thing happen here, he even looks more yellowed than I remember. Thinking I should just sell him and forget he exists.
    Clearly sunlight is not the only factor that causes yellowing.

Most of the senior OTCA members have seen this already but some of the best articles I have seen written on the subject of toy degradation due to sunlight and other factors was posted up on Fred's Transformers Variants website. Worth a read IMO.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]